Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

What a tragedy to lose your fish due to something beyond your control, Man Yu. I'm not prepared for anything like that either. I was beside myself with panic a few months ago when a car hit a power pole on my street and knocked out all the electricity on the whole block. It was late Saturday night (drunk I assume as they came around the corner, but just kept going straight - into the power pole!), so there I was calling the electricity people and waiting outside for them to fix it until 4am. I have lots of fish! I need electricity to run the filters and pumps! Hurry up!

Well, Suzy lost the red to become more orange, but her tail went the other way. It was originaly white tipped like your Diamonds, but now is solid orange. No more white. So I don't know what to make of that!

I was concerned there was a chance I'd lose the red and white one when I first got her because she was so stressed out and her fins were all raggedy, but here she is now 12 days later with fins all back to new again. She could barely swim around when I brought her home but now she's zooming (okay waddling fast!) all over the tank! :)

0606241.jpg

See how different their scales are from each other? The red&white one seems to have much bigger 'pearls' making her look almost like she's got dropsy and they're a lot more even as well, while the orange one's pearls are like small pimples in comparison. Love them both though! :)

Remember I wrote at the very start of this thread when I got these ryukins back in January that they needed fattening up? So I took a 5 month comparison photo to record the progress. He's already slightly bigger than Big Red now so takes the mantle of being my biggest goldie now.

0606271.jpg

He started out with semi-transparent fins too and crisp white scales, but seems to be turning solid orange all over. The process seems to be speeding up over the last few weeks since he's been moved to a tank with Grolux light tubes. And no, he's not a SBD bottom-sitter, he just happened to be there for the pic. He swims quite actively actually. And even though I feed him nothing but OmegaOne pellets (small), no veggies or anything, he's never flipped or got bloated either. So the belief that ryukins are partial to floating/balance problems from diet isn't holding true. At least not so far.

Regimen: As much as he can eat for 20 minutes, three to four times a day. 80% water change every fourth day. Two canister filters, each gets cleaned on consecutive water changes (so every 8th day per filter). It's a danged tough routine to keep up religiously!

Guest DPFHPRES

A beautiful fish well worth the time effort and tough routine you have put into it.

Regimen: As much as he can eat for 20 minutes, three to four times a day.

Oi oi so fat already lah.

Bu oh my goodness AW mate....u've done an abolutely FANTASTIC job grooming him up!

So much change in so little time. I can hardly recognise the ryukin now.

Hmmm maybe I should up my feeding regime too, but that means more w/c arrgghh! :krazy:

Awrieger, don't you just love that funny way of swimming with the pearlies? It seems to be a special thing with them, I can't see any other breed having that waddling pattern when trying to get around the tank. Just hilarious!

Thanks, DPFH President. :) (btw, I've always been meaning to ask you, what does the DPFH stand for?)

Thanks Riz. Actually, that's a pretty dramatic photo with the lighting and shadows. If you look at the pics just before from a few weeks ago, he really doesn't look that much different at all to when I first got him. In fact, until I put this before and after pic comparison together I would look at him and try and think if he was actually growing much at all, and I couldn't really tell. I guess if you see it every day you don't notice the gradual change over time. But the colour change to solid orange over the last two weeks has been too fast and too dramatic for me. I like the white patches! So I'm going to try swapping out one of the Grolux tubes for a full spectrum one to try and stop or reverse it!

Thanks Andrea :) They're really cute how they swim, aren't they? I've never had such round fish in my life before. They're so adorable, I want to get some more! :)

Gah! I havent seen this thread for a looong time and OH MY I am so envious! Your fish are so beautiful. :heart

Thank you so much, Erin! :) Lol, this thread has turned into my 2006 blog I think!

Guest DPFHPRES

Aw DPFH my club stands for Deer Path Fish Hatcher's. It is a small club helping beginners succeed in spawning and keeping fish here is my website www.dpfhpres.proboards75.com

Red and white group shot. Little Basil needs some growing to do. :)

0606282.jpg

Big Red has slowly developed a wart/tumour on his right eye over the past 2-3 months very similar to the one already on his back. I really hope they don't get any worse or more warts appear elsewhere. I wish there was something I could about them.

Just checking out the more spacious property next door. Prime real estate for aquisition by a bunch of rowdy ryukins! ;)

0606292.jpg

It'll be a bit like clearing the Amazon (sword plants, ha ha!) jungle to make way for a ranch. Here it is from the other angle. This will be the last photo I take of it as a planted tropical tank.

0606291.jpg

Edited by awrieger

Lol, my ISP server just told me I have exceeded my file size limit with all these photos! Can't deter me though - it's Friday Fish Fotos time! So more pics of guess what? My fish! :)

I'm really pleased with her pectoral fin there. So nice and healed now! :)

0606301.jpg

Help, my fish has dropsy!!! Seriously though, this fish makes me panic every time I look at her. Does she really have it? I have to stay there to watch her for five whole minutes every time to put my mind at ease. Nup, she's fine, whew, I can relax again! I guess I just have to get used to this.

0606302.jpg

And speaking of healed fins, I haven't posted many pics of this matte butterfly which I bought from the lfs medical tank with the frayed tail edges. His/her (I'm still not sure) tail is nice and pretty again now. I still haven't thought of a name yet. :)

Actually the reason is that it moves around so quickly that all the pics I take are blurred! But I think this is a nice one. :)

0606303.jpg

I love that group shot....beautiful! :heart

I would want to move into that lush planted tank too....can't blame him for starring out at it. :rofl

The pearlscales always have me thinking dropsy too :blink: ...I just can't get used to it....such a cutie though.

I'm so glad your butterfly has improved so much....very pretty fish. Which tank is he in now?

Great pics once again awrieger! Thanks for not letting your ISP limit stop you! ;)

Thanks Ginger! :)

Alas, all the plants will be coming out. I really will be clearing it. Goldies = bare bottom!

It's in the same tank as the two baby pearlscales (and the invalid Fuji too). Where big Suzy the ryukin used to be too, before I found out he was a boy and had to move him out. The butterfly actually hasn't changed tanks once since I got it, which is a rarity!

Guest DPFHPRES

Aw do breed goldfish or ever have? With your fish there it looks like you have some nice stock to do it with

I haven't tried breeding yet, but I'd like to try breeding ryukins one day soon. Unfortunately out of five ryukins, I have five males! Which is why I need an extra tank to get a female or two. I'd like to find a female version of Buzz with a long tail and start a veiltail ryukin dynasty. ;)

But honestly, I've pretty much spent the last year and half just learning how to simply keep my goldfish alive. I think I still have a lot to learn, so I don't think I'm quite ready just yet to try breeding and raising lots of new little goldfish at the moment until I'm happy enough that I can keep the ones I already have healthy and alive and growing well for a decent amount of time without making any silly mistakes.

...keep the ones I already have healthy and alive and growing well for a decent amount of time without making any silly mistakes.

And I'll give you a perfect example of exactly me making an utterly stupid mistake which will cost me my beautiful black pearlscale.

Four days ago when doing the regular water change, the new water I added was in hindsight much too warmer than the tank water and I added it too fast and right on top of him. Within a day he developed an internal infection from the stress of that and he's just been getting worse for the last three days. The medicines they sell here just never ever ever work so an internal infection basically means a death sentence. I've dosed his tank with Sera Bactopur anyway, but I know it's just a waste of time and that all I can really do is just watch him slowly die or hope for a miracle.

I'm going to lose him, and I know exactly why. Me. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. It would have been alright if I just added the new water slowly as the warmer water would have dissipated into the cooler tank water and averaged out. But no, I had to hurry.

Sigh. He's gone. As fast as that.

I've changed my mind about the cause because I've often added slightly warmer water before without problems. I think now that I must have forgotten to add de-chlorinator to the first amount of new water I added which he swam straight into. The other two fish in with him are still fine because they didn't get the full dose like he did before I added more new water with dechlor in it.

So it's an even more basic and stupid mistake than I originally thought.

didn't I comment back on the pic of your black pearlscale that you'll constantly have dropsy paranoia with ping-pong pearlscales? :lol:

anyway... I think you might have decided too soon that Suzy is male. My new bicolor ranchu is female (she spawned in the QT tank and I didn't have a camera handy at the time. drat! :( ) but these days she keeps chasing and nosing the vent of the small fantail she's sharing a tank with now. She looks rather like a pesky male when she does that.

wow these are such fantastic fish. i mean i am in awe. wow. each and every one of these pictures, especially the one where three fish are down on the floor, i think feeding, would have won pic of the week for sure. im so sorry about your misfortunes with your new fishies, especially river, she was beautiful, but you cant blame yourself that you didnt notice or realize what was going on. Sushi is absolutely amazing, and im so sorry about Fuji, by the way how is she doing? she is soo cute. all your fish are so cute and big and looking at them just makes me want to hug them. theyre so huggable scuggable wuggable. i hope you breed lots and lots of fishies, because they will all turn out beautiful! :)

Guest DPFHPRES

That is really to bad your black pearlie died I know just how you must feel I have made some dumb mistakes in my fishkeeping at one time or another as well

You did indeed Man Yu! And I'm pretty certain he's a boy. He's pretty big now and should have had some eggs by now, but nary a sign of that ever happening.

Thank you very much for your compliments and kind words, Stacyy! :) Fuji's still hanging in there. It's been six month's now since she took ill around xmas time and been lying on her side, and she can probably go on forever with me holding her upright to feed twice a day as she's showing no signs of wanting to give up.

Thanks DPFH. Knowing me, I'm sure I'll make another one soon and be kicking myself over that too when it happens. :(