Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

Thanks Riz. :)

makes you wonder... it's not gonna be an easy task to detect dropsy in that pearlscale no?

Easy, it'll look like a pinecone instead of a pineapple! ;) No need to worry about that though as I've only ever had one fish with dropsy, which already had it when I bought it. My fish seem to die of everything *but* dropsy. Speaking of which:

That female tele is such a cutie. All your fish are beautiful Awr :) I wish I had a store like yours near me.

Thanks Kissy. :) Unfortunately that's the third time in three years I've bought a fish from there which has attacked and seriously damaged or killed another fish and I've had to take it back. That's not a good record in my opinion. They mustn't feed them very well in that lfs for them to turn otherwise peaceful fish like goldies into cannibals.

And I do mean 'attack and kill' because River is not going to make it by the looks of it. Yesterday after I stopped the attack, she began bottom-sitting, then by last night was doing that aimless, dazed swimming like you see dying fish doing in an overcrowded lfs tank. This morning I found her attached to the filter intake (no damage though so she wasn't there for long), and now she's floating upside down at the surface. The tank's salted and anti-bacteria med-ed, but honestly I'm just waiting for her to die now because she has deteriorated so rapidly and she's so small too.

You know, all the fish I buy I usually have some minor physical fault with them, like uneven eyes, a bent tail, a kinked fin, crooked scales... but River was one of the very few where the more I looked at her, the more I started thinking that finally I found a fish that doesn't have any flaws and could grow into a truly stunning fish. But then she gets attacked by another fish. And now she's dying. That just always seems to be the way that the nicest ones go first which just makes me very sad. :(

######, ######, ######. River stopped breathing about ten minutes ago. Such a pretty little fish. ######. I should have been more aware.

She lasted barely two days. I can't believe it. I probably only caught the other one attacking her because she finally got too exhausted to run away any more. ######. I should have been more aware of the situation. I should have been more aware. But it wasn't overly physical damage. I saw the other one pecking at River every now and then like young goldfish do but it didn't look too rough at all until yesterday morning. And until then River was acting fine. My fault I lost a really nice fish. I'm cursing myself.

I should have euthanised that fish instead of taking it back. They just put it in a tank of other redcap babies and it'll surely attack them too and they'll lose a few. And then it'll attack the other fish of any unfortunate person who buys it now.

I'm very angry and upset with myself right now.

Edit: Sorry, for all the cursing.

Edited by awrieger

So sorry AW. River was a great little fish, and I know u got great hopes for him. RIP River

Thanks Riz. Unfortunately I made the most basic mistake of all of not observing my fish for trouble. I even mentioned the patchiness on River's tail when I posted her pics, but even while I was writing that it was caused by her previous crowded tank, I was thinking in the back of my mind that I didn't notice any of that patchiness when I bought her. I got it so wrong. :(

And then to make my day even worse, something also went wrong with the (first) female Pearlscale. After adding her to the tank and taking a photo of her yesterday, she eventually settled to the bottom and wouldn't eat. I put it down to pH shock from transferring her too fast and she'd recover, but all the rest were transferred at the same rate and they were all fine. Today I found her passed away, just like that. And I don't know why.

She seemed fine in the lfs, although not as active as the other one, but she definitely didn't appear frail or sick to me so I have no idea what happened or what I might have done wrong. It's not a 'Pearlscales are more delicate' thing as the other one (which I thought was the male) is very active and doing totally fine *touch wood* even after transferring tanks, so that would have been the one I would have been worried about out of the two. At least I didn't have a chance to become emotionally attached to it, but it's still a shame to lose two such fine fish in a single day, so I'm not feeling too happy with myself right now.

Gosh, what a big thread that turned out to be, AW - and I am so sorry about your two dead fishies. River sure looked gorgeous, and well, I always have a heart for a pearlscale.... :(

Just wanted to let you know that redcaps, together with ryukin, are known for being a bit on the nippy side of life. I have seen quite a few tanks in the stores where redcaps were attacking other fish, and it wasn't just one store - it was plenty.

Now, to the rest of your new fish - boy, what a shopping trip!! I like your new calico ryukin, he is gonna be as stunning as Kennedy is! :heart And that calico telescope girl looks almost like the one I got from BigAls, with the coloration like that. Seems to be a new thing with that grey shade over the whole fish. They look cool that way! :heart

wow! your fish are so beautiful!!! :heart:heart

sorry to hear about your losses. dont beat yourself up about not noticing river's troubles, if it had been more obvious you would have noticed sooner, so it really isnt your fault. the other fish was sneaky about his bullying tendencies. such a a shame for your lovely river. rip

as for the pearlscale, any idea why she may have died? i hate to sound superficial but if it appears to be a mystery/unavoidable death it may be worth taking her back to the shop. i know it seems trivial to try for a refund, and im not reccomending doing it for the money, but i think it's worth kicking up a stink when this type of thing happens as it is unfair of the shop to sell fish in such bad conditions (as u mentioned, overcrowded tanks and fins being ripped up due to underfeeding and poor care) It seems worth the 'hassle' just to make them aware of the trouble and sadness they are putting their customers through., and the bad reputation they are getting. No shop wants bad reviews. and not to sound harsh or coldhearted but if it were any other 'faulty product' they would refund your money.

I know it seems a bit petty at first, but i think rather than let lfs make us 'risk' getting one of their fish and hoping it is ok, they should provide better quality conditions for their 'stock' and ensure customer satisfaction just as any other type of shop would.

sorry, went on a bit there. just my :twocents lol

sorry again about your losses, and congrats on the other fish, they are all gorgeous and lucky to have been brought into such a loving home :)

Just wanted to let you know that redcaps, together with ryukin, are known for being a bit on the nippy side of life. I have seen quite a few tanks in the stores where redcaps were attacking other fish, and it wasn't just one store - it was plenty.

Thanks Andrea. I have to agree with you 10,000% on that! I think I just got lulled by Lucy being such a gentle quiet fish and just expected this new one to be too. Still, I didn't pick up on when I had to move Fuji out because it was nipping her. I think I just assumed one baby (because they really were just babies) couldn't harm another so badly it would die..

Now, to the rest of your new fish - boy, what a shopping trip!! I like your new calico ryukin, he is gonna be as stunning as Kennedy is! :heart

Thanks, I think so too! I don't know if I'm imagining it, but the black in his dorsal fin already seems to be fading already and I can see orange underneath it. So he may look different the next time I post a pic! But I'm going to switch his light tube to a 15.000K full-spectrum one as I heard sunlight helps keep the black melanin in young fish. It's just that it's a very bright light to have on my desk right next to me! ;)

And that calico telescope girl looks almost like the one I got from BigAls, with the coloration like that. Seems to be a new thing with that grey shade over the whole fish. They look cool that way! :heart

They do, don't they? It's the first time I'd ever seen any colour like that. I think that's why I got them, just because they're a new type and I've never seen them before. **New from China!!** **Silver Gray Metallics!!** **Get them now before they're gone!!** It'll be interesting though to see if they keep that silver/gray or it fades away as they get older like the black on Moors or Pandas. It's a really nice, subtle shade.

Thanks Kat. :heart

To be honest, I think she died of the same thing RIver did. Stress. If you look at that pic, her ventral fins are a wee bit ragged, so she was being harrassed if not actually physically hurt. I wouldn't have bought her if I thought she was sick though, but she could have been stressed just enough that the travel and transfer were enough to just tip her over the edge.

I can't really blame the lfs for that. If I'd maybe transferred her more slowly, she may have made it. She did swim about for the first few minutes after transferring her, but that was the extent of it. But I just transferred her at the same speed as all the others and they're all fine and active, even the ones I had to transfer twice after finding out they weren't boys. Here's the other one doing fine, so it really just came down to her individual constitution and me really needing to have being more careful.

0605153.jpg

0605152.jpg

PS. Not having had any Pearscales before, that's a face I need to get used to! :D

Oh! I took another pic of the youngster Ryukin which better shows his finnage I think than that first pic. His whole body's still only about the size of Big Red's head (and only half as wide!), so he's still a wee youngster and his fins show a lot of potential. :)

0605151.jpg

PS. New rule - I'm not giving any new fish any names any more until I've had them for a lengthy period of time! Although I'm tempted to call this one Basil because his tail looks like a fox.

Edited by awrieger

Guest squeeker

AW, your fish are gorgeous, and I also envy your photography skills!

Just curious as to why you don't quarantine new fish?

Thanks Squeeks! :)

An excellent question, seeing as it's always a recommended thing to do! A good example would be why I bought that Telescope with the finrot-damaged tail out the lfs's medication/treatment tank and put her straight in with Suzy without any concern or precautions (her tails' fully recovered now btw, can't even tell that it was ever frayed in the first place).

Basically because my main tanks have UV units, so they are the best treatment tanks for any new fish for me as they can handle and treat any contagious fungus or parasites quite easily. Add a bit of salt if really necessary. For example, I wouldn't have any concerns buying a fish with ich for example as long as it wasn't stressed or ill, and adding it straight in with the others. The ich would be gone in a few days before it could complete a single life-cycle to infect the other fish.

Well, that's not just an example. I actually did that. I bought 20 ich-infested Rummy Nose Tetras and added them straight to my tropical tank. Switched the UV on and the white spots were gone forever in less than three days.

I highly recommend a UV unit as an essential necessity in fish-keeping!

With no effective medications available here, if a fish is individually ill or injured (non-contagious), quarantine's only real purpose is to just give them some stress-relief from being picked on by the other fish and hope they can recover on their own, or die peacefully, alas.

Not goldfish at all this this one, but I'd like to show it off anyway as I'm quite pleased with it. Some of you may recognise the statue from my previous attempt using it!

forum429.jpg

This is the 2' 'Flame Tank' (the flame tetras you can see there) on my desk next to me where my Betta also lives. I posted a previous pc of it in the Betta forum. Anyway, I removed the red lotus plant that was in the middle as it was just growing way too big, and I thought I would try squeezing the statue in there instead. That was about two weeks ago and removing the plant caused an outbreak of green water ever since, so this is the first pic since it finally started clearing yesterday after all this time.

It was quite a pleasant experience watching the Buddha slowly emerge from the green gloom! :)

Just to recap how much a planted tank change, here's when I first set it up at the end of February:

forum401.jpg

And then two months later (last month):

forum422.jpg

So two weeks ago I replaced the large lotus with the statue now. And the Aponogeton Crispus on either side are much bigger and now large enough to create a nice bower over the top.

Holy cow, THAT is the lotus?? Isn't that supposed to stay much smaller? :thud And do I see small spots of snails in the tank - they actually leave the plants alone?

They get a lot bigger than that if you give them strong light, food and CO2. It's still only technically a 2 month old seedling there!

I wouldn't dream of having a planted tank *without* Rams Horn Snails! I try really hard not to siphon any off or save as many as I can if I remove any plants. They are simply the best at cleaning algae off leaves and rocks etc. The only plant material they eat is if the leaf is dead or rotting. They make a brilliant 'clean-up crew' in my opinion. :)

Edited by awrieger

6 more pics.

Went to the lfs again to see if they had a replacement redcap baby, but I wasn't really happy with any they had. So I came home with three completely different fish I had no plan of getting.

They had a perfect adult orange Pearlscale, but I decided instead that I had to save these two baby girls who weren't so perfect from another tank as they were being battered and bitten and bounced all over their tank by a couple of the males. So allow me to introduce my new baby golfballs :) :

0606121.jpg

This poor little girl has had her pectoral fins bitten short so she can barely swim at all. Hopefully she'll come good with some TLC:

0606122.jpg

And this is the other one:

0606123.jpg

And then I just had to get this Ryukin. She's got a little bit of a wen so she looks a bit snub-nosed. All the way home I was thinking I got myself a perfect red and white Ryukin to breed with Buzz, but once in the tank I saw one of her anal fins is bent upwards. Darn!

0606124.jpg

Also in the pic above, you can see in the reflection on the bottom that the little orange Pearlscale has a red patch on the side of her abdomen which looks a bit like septicemia or something. Squeeker asked me on the previous page why I don't quarantine (and this would be a perfect example), but the existing fish are strong and healthy and this tank is salted permanently to 1 ppt and it has a UV steriliser so I don't think I'm going to have a contagious outbreak or anything and she should heal faster in this tank. *fingers crossed*

Here you can see the snub-nose I mentioned:

0606125.jpg

And this last pic is interesting because according to my faulty memory, I'm sure Suzy was just as red as this new one, but look at the difference in red/orange now. So maybe they were pond raised. Suzy also had the same red and white fins when I first got her too, but they are now all solid orange as you can see there:

0606126.jpg

(Oh, and PS. That black Pearlscale I got last month is definitely a boy. He's got tubercules now. I was right the first time!)

wow your fish are beautiful. I'm not a big fan of Ryukins but yours is gorgeous. The pearlscales are so cute! i want one, but can never find them in local LFS and cant afford to order and ship them! Congrats on the fishies, they're all lovely.

Hooo 2 tikus (mouse) pearlscales :D nice AW!

So sorry about Fuji I wish and hope she makes a full recovery.Your ryukins are great looking fish.

:) Congrats on the new fish. :)

Thanks everyone! :) This is the first time I've ever seen them have round orange pearlscales in all the years I've been visiting that lfs. So I'll take two please! ;)

I have to apologise for always introducing my new fish as 'not perfect'. It's just that I'm thinking about breeding one day so would like to start with the best fish possible, so every time I make the long trip to the lfs I spend days beforehand repeating to myself that I'm only going to get the best fish I can find. Perfect finnage, perfect scales, no lopsided eyes, etc.

But then I always end up buying fish that appeal to me with their character or cute face and so I don't actually look closely at any of the finnage or scales until I get home!

Oh yeah, doesn't that sound all too familiar?! :lol:

I am amazed about what nice pearlscales you have in your lfs - the stores around here are just a disgrace when it comes to pearlies. And such perfect scales, nothing missing, fat little body, CUTE! :heart

Guess what? That new female red&white ryukin I just got? It's a male.

Guess what? Suzy, my orange&white female ryukin I've had for 5 months? It's a male.

How do I know this? The little orange pearlscale was ripe with eggs and these two were playing basketball with her, bouncing her all over the tank. The poor little thing! Eggs everywhere! But she's so small!

Without breeding stars to tell me, I really need to go back to vent-identifying school! I was wondering why Suzy never got fat with eggs. So time for some quick tank re-arranging (again). They're now both in the boys' tank with Buzz. I moved the plants over too.

More pics. more pics. More pics.

0606147.jpg

The boys' tank is looking pretty spectacular at the moment with four ryukins and Big Red all squished in there now - but too dangerously like a Hong Kong fish shop tank! Basil there is the smallest. I need to get a pic of all four ryukins together. Suzy is already as big as Big Red, with Buzz catching up fast! :)

0606143.jpg

Big Red in the corner there has slowly developed a wart/lump/tumour on his back and a smaller one above his eye. I don't think they're anything I can do anything about. Basil's coming along nicely I think. he's developing a nice hump but he's still too young to tell how well it will end up.

0606145.jpg

And I must say that this new ryukin is quite an awesome looking fish. None of the pics I've taken do it justice to show it as good as it looks in real life.

0606146.jpg

Edited by awrieger

my... I had a trio of those "pingpong" pearlscales at January of 2006... two of them are almost identical to the coloration of your two new acquisitions! (one's orange, the other red-white too)... Just too bad the three had died in the aftermath of a 14-hour blackout :cry1

And don't be confused as to the loss of coloration in Suzy's fins... my short-tail ryukin Hearts deRossi (the red-finned one in my sig) used to be as tomato red as the butterfly-patterned one (Diamonds LaRouge) but he's all orange-and-white now while Diamonds is still as bright red as ever. Maybe solid red-finned ryukins just aren't destined to keep the red?

Edited by Man Yu