Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

I'm always blown away by your guys AW - they're truly magnificent :D

I love that pic of lucy - she really was a beautiful fish. Hopefully your new little guys will be good company for Fuji PLUS I'm really please to see fuji is doing well :D

Oh and did I mention your fish blow me away? :lol:

Thanks Ginger! :)

I wish the stores here had such a great selection....(or maybe not or I would be setting up way too many tanks! ;) ).

That's pretty much the downside about having a shop that sells a lot of different goldfish - which is why I try to avoid going there too often! lol. :D

I've just spent yesterday afternoon updating my signature pic to add the four new babies on the right. It wasn't until I finished it and looked at it that I realised I've literally almost doubled my goldie numbers overnight! Yikes!!! It's also a bit deceptive size-wise as the new Redcap next to Big Red would only be about the size of his eye, instead of appearing like they're both similar in size!

Thanks so much, Jen :)

Unfortunately Fuji is not in a good way at all. I only positioned her upright for these pics. She stays like that for about 10 to 30 seconds before rolling onto her side. Her swim bladder seems to be totally not working at all and she's been on her side since Christmas (I roll her onto the opposite side every few hours so she doesn't get bed sores, and also hold her upright to help her feed).

0604296.jpg

I really don't know what to do with her. She's currently full of eggs so I was thinking now that Bumpy's finally recovering properly... but I'm still surprised by that as it was after she laid eggs in Dec and started bleeding was when she lost her balance, so I thought that was where the infection was and she's neer lay eggs again.

Some pics I took in the early morning light today, plus one of Fuji from yesterday in a rare upright moment.

Pics, pics, pics.

0605031.jpg

0605032.jpg

0605033.jpg

0605034.jpg

0605035.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!! I am totally blown away by your thread. You have amazing fish and take great pics! I love the one caught munching on the plants LOL too cute!!

So sorry about Fuji :( She is really beautiful I hope she will be ok. *hugs to Fuji*

Thanks LuvMuhFred! :)

I'm in the pic taking mood, so here are some more. ;) These are the two new squidgers. The one on the left I'm going to call Jamaica (because of the red stripe), and the other one is Lucy II. Jamaica's tail seems to angle up more from where it meets her body, and she seems to have better cheek development than Lucy II:

0605036.jpg

Lucy II - just a wee baby! The spitting image of Lucy when she was a youngster. Judging from the poo, she's eating well! ;) On closer insepection, I've discovered she only has a single anal fin, and the lower left lobe of her tail bends outwards, so she's not going to grow up to win any goldfish pageants. But Lucy had the same type of tail and I thought she grew into a very nice fish anyway. :)

0605037.jpg

And Johnson. The troublemaker! In his aquarium cell, doing solitary. :ignore Apologies for the streaks on the glass. I set the spare tank up for him so quickly I didn't wipe the outside properly. Also, these pics aren't so sharp as he just contunally moves too much, so these are the best I can manage so far!

I think he's got great blue colouring. It's easier to see on his left side, which has less orange/red than the other side. Also, only his left eye is black:

0605038.jpg

0605039.jpg

Lucy 2 is lovely she looks alot like my Lucy :)

Popular name!!

edit: I just saw Johnson...georgous...if he is too much trouble I'll adopt him LOL

Edited by LuvMuhFred

Lol, it's the red headed thing with Lucille Ball!

I've actually always admired Greer Garson who was also a redhead, so maybe I might name her Greer. Greer Goldfish! ;)

You know, I only meant that as an off the cuff comment, but after thinking about it, I really like Greer Goldfish! Gee, I'm always doing that, naming a fish then changing it almost straight away. I know I'm trying to rebuild what I lost by getting similar fish again, but giving them exactly the same name too is probably *too much*.

I've also thought of another name for the other redcap too. The first name I picked wasn't quite 'clicking' for me. So I've decided on River (as in River Plate, again because of the red stripe). I like River much better!

River and Greer. Okay, I'm happy with those names! :)

Johnson I'm happy with too. An apt name for Kennedy's successor! He'd better last for many years to come though as otherwise I'll have to call the next one Nixon! :blink:

Any more pics hun??????

How is Fuji??

She is now the proud owner of my desktop wallpaper :)

I always have Blue (Barbra44's blue) RIP as my wallpaper as I just adored him to pieces :) but I am sure Blue and her wont mind if I share it.

Oh they are absoulutely goregeous and such pretty bright vibrant colors. congratulations :goldfish::kewlpics:

Thanks Kris. :) And wow, thanks LuvMuhFred! Fuji will be honoured! :)

Fuji's condition hasn't changed at all since she first rolled over around xmas time. Not getting better, not getting any worse. So, what I know is that whatever 'bug' caused it is long gone, and this is permanent damage.

Unfortunately one of the little redcap tykes (Greer) kept nipping at her vent (like it was an egg food machine, I assume), so I've had to move Fuji into my last and only spare 15g tank. So she's having to endure a cycle, the poor thing. I tried her in Suzy's tank, but Suzy started attacking her too. Why can't they just leave each other alone? Always picking on their sick and unfortunate fellows, they're just like humans! :(:(:(

Edited by awrieger

More pics? More pics? Sure! ;)

I didn't really show any of little River before. These little ones just move so fast it's difficult to take pics in focus. I had to take almost 100 just to get these four pics!

She's still only a tiny inch and a half body-wise, but she's already got good cheek wen growth happening so she looks like a chipmunk a bit (I wish I could have gotten a good front-on shot to show you). So she's going to develop a really nice overall head growth I think. More than Greer's. And RIver's fins are longer too as well. :) Close up though, you can see some 'patchiness' to River's tail fin. I'm putting this down to physical damage from being nipped by all the other tykes in her tank while growing up.

0605111.jpg

0605112.jpg

0605113.jpg

And here's with my old camera. I think this is more accurate colour-wise. But blurry though! But you can see how River's tail is longer and angles up better than Greer's. And great cheeks! :)

0605114.jpg

"Lemme out! Lemme out! I don't want to be by myself any more!"

"No! Not until you learn to behave!"

"Okay. Feed me! Feed me! Feed me!"

This is what I have looking at me right next to me all day. ;)

0605115.jpg

sensational pics!!

I just love Johnson

River is going to be georgous, just wanna pinch the cheeks :)

Thanks for posting them.

Sorry bout Fuji being picked on :( the poor baby.I hope she copes with the new tank ok.

The patchiness I mentioned in River's tail has increased and bits of it have started becoming ragged, and she's looking very ill and lethargic.

And the reason why I discovered this morning when I woke to see Greer tearing at River's tail. I mean really going for it like trying to rip a piece off a lettuce leaf and eat it like it's food. I imagine this has been going on every night since I got them and River hasn't been getting any rest and is too exhausted to run anymore. Now I've removed the aggressive one to a container, River is resting on the floor of the tank and doesn't look too good.

So Greer is no longer named Greer. I am saving that name for any replacement redcap as this one is going back to the lfs. Lucy's personality that I was hoping for, it certainly does not have! And I simply don't have any more space to isolate it. I feel guilty about taking it back only because some other poor person will buy it now and it will attack and damage or even kill their other fish.

What a turn of events. 2 out of the 4 fish I bought have turned out to be aggressive biters. How are they being raised that they acquire such a bad habit? Is it overcrowding maybe? Lack of proper feeding?

D*** *t, that fish did more damage to River than I thought. She now just sitting on the bottom. There's even holes in her tail, it's so damaged. Every fin on her has been attacked to some degree. And I never clued into it. Stupid me was thinking "her tail wasn't patchy like that when I got her, wait a minute, does it seem worse today?...", but I never clicked to what was causing it. Until I caught the little rascal in the act!

It's gone now.

And so what happens? So I take a fish back to the lfs.... and then I walk out with five more instead... bleccchhh!! Aarrghhh.!!!!!

So the new fish! Two Black Pearscales, 2 silver/gray Telescope Butterflies, and 1 red/orange & white Ryukin. 3 males and 2 females. The males went into the boys tank, but any sign of fin nipping on Buzz's beautiful tail and the culprit will be going in with Johnson!

I've never considered myself a Pearscale fan before, mainly because I've never seen any round golfball shaped ones for sale. Except for today! Round fat ones! So I got a male and a female pair of black Pearscales. Here's the boy:

0605141.jpg

0605142.jpg

He's not a baby, but still not very big. He only looks big in that pic because he's in the foreground. For a size comparison, here he is sticking his head under Buzz's tail, probably about the size Buzz was when I got him in January:

0605143.jpg

And a new youngster Ryukin. Not as impressive a hump as Buzz, but he's still young. But I think his finnage will grow as fine and long though hopefully:

0605144.jpg

And the male Telescope. This and the female were 2 for $15 so they were basically the cheapest fish in the shop, so not perfect specimens. Neither has evenly sized eyes for instance (do they ever??). And he's got a bit of fin fraying on one side of his tail too. But I really like their colour. It's sort of a calico gray/silver with metallic flecks in it.

0605145.jpg

And the female Telescope. Very similar to the male one.

0605146.jpg

And finally, the female Black Pearscale. Not as dark as the male, but she has fine scales I think!

0605147.jpg

0605148.jpg

To show you what I mean about being round, here's a top view pic of the two girls in the bucket before transferring them. Like a golf ball!

0605149.jpg

Ugh, this thread is turning into my new fish saga blog or something!

Well, that didn't take long to learn all the new fish but the Ryukin are females.

Female tank. Now. Way. Over. Crowded.

Well, so much for my plans to breed black Pearscales. It lasted barely a few hours! :P

Lol AW :lol:

I think it's great this thread is going this path. Lots of GREAT pics of GREAT fishies in one thread. Yumminess...... :druel :

makes you wonder... it's not gonna be an easy task to detect dropsy in that pearlscale no?

That female tele is such a cutie. All your fish are beautiful Awr :) I wish I had a store like yours near me.