Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

WOW! one word... BEAUTIFUL! Long tail and high fin....SPEECHLESS...

Pristine? My tanks?!? You obviously can't see the filter intake in the third last pic covered in muck!

There's no secret. I just use a kitchen sponge/scourer. Nothing fancy at all! You know the ones which are sponge on one side and plastic scourer on the other? The scourer side to scrub the glass sides and bottom, and the sponge side to wipe the silicone seals and tubing. I keep a separate one specifically for each tank now so as not to spread any problems between tanks should they arise.

Also, I keep to a once-every-eight-days routine for the glass-scrub, filter-rinse and water-change maintenance, and then do a big once a month complete clean of all the tubing and everything thoroughly (when I also change the filter charcoal). I adopted an 8 day routine instead of a 7 day one so as not to have a weekly 'chore day' the same day every week and come to dread that day! Monday one week, then Tuesday the following week, and so on. Just so it doesn't become a boring routine.

New camera. New pics. Same fish!

I think the detail and colour is a little better. It's hard to tell. I'm still learning to use it (darn complicated!), so I'm not sure about the proper settings and things.

Here's Sushi:

060324sushi01.jpg

060324sushi02.jpg

060324sushi04.jpg

And Buzz (I think I'll stick with Buzz. It sorta suits him actually):

060324-buzz01.jpg

060324-buzz04.jpg

And with Big Red again:

060324-buzz05.jpg

WOW WOW They are all so gorgeous,i love your Lionhead,can i have him :D (drools) your fish are all beautiful :yikes

The new pics look a bit brighter, and a bit sharper IMO :D still ###### nice pics!

WoW! Im not really a fan of long-finned ryukins (I lean more towards short-fins) but Sushi's GORGEE-YOUUUSsss!!! beautiful red finnage!

Here's a 7 week or thereabouts update on the progres of these potted plants. Just adding Flourish Excel and AZOO fertilizer and iron:

060422sushi01.jpg

I've actually added two smaller pots with some Hygrophila Corymbosa which I ripped out of my tropical tank. I'm going to redecorate this tank I think.

But as for the progress of the existing plants, the fluffy Limnophilia Sessiliflora totally disintegrated and is all gone. Sushi pulled it apart, but that was basically after it was already dying anyway. I worked out it died off due to the colder water because a similar batch disintegrated just as fast in a spare tank in which I just keep spare plant cuttings, which isn't heated either.

So some plants obviously need warmer water to survive, if not grow. The Wisteria in the middle is an example by the looks of it. Its leaves are narrow and its growth is slow. It's growing, but very slowly. In a tropical tank, the leaves are broader and it grows like a weed, even if you don't look after it.

All the Swords too. And Lotuses. All stunted and barely surviving. Not dying, but just surviving.

The Italian Valisneria on the right on the other hand is actually growing quite well. So much so it's swamping the little swords and will need to be re-potted into more pots as it's outgrown just the one already. The other Valisneria on the left has recovered from Sushi's vegetarian diet and is also growing.

The fluffy Milfoil in the middle is growing too. Slowly, but it's growing. So slow that algae can keep up with it. I figured out that Sushi isn't actually eating the plants, but the algae on the leaves! If the plant is weak, I'm assuming the goldfish will take the leaf along with the algae they want growing on it. Luckily the Milfoil is healthy enough that Sushi can chew the algae, but leave the leaves intact.

So Vals are clearly tolerable of cooler temperatures, maybe Milfoil too, but the rest are more tropical and need a heater to grow better.

I hope my observations are helpful to anyone interested in growing plants in (coldwater) goldie tanks! :)

Thanks OrandaBeauty, Riz, Fondoo and Man Yu. I sort of let this thread die for a while there, but now it's back, so apologies for not thanking you sooner! :)

Absolutely Aw, they are most helpful. Thanks for posting it here. :D

Thanks Mae. :)

Okay, now I have to change the name of this thread from '2 new ryukins' to '2 new ryukins & now 2 new Redcaps'. Yep, went to the shop again yesterday. And found a replacement for my beloved Lucy! :)

They had about 7 tanks full of redcaps there, probably 100 to 200 hundred to choose from, from babies to big adults. But I only found two who matched my Lucy's shorter body and a red cap which comes down to the top lip. So here they are! One has the red continuing down the back, the other has the red extending just onto the neck (Redneck for a name? ;) )

0604291.jpg

It's not that I think Fuji has gotten very big, just that these two new little squeekers are teeny weenies!

0604292.jpg

And here's my departed and very much missed Lucy for a comparison. Such a gentle and beautiful fish. I hope these two new ones match her personality.

lucy02.jpg

oh wow! this is the first time ive looked at this thread and wow are your fish stunning! they look absoloutely fantastic! lucy looked great bless her r.i.p well done on finding them they are :druel:druel :druel :D

But wait, it doesn't stop there! They also had a few tanks full of telescopes (lots of black moors too, even some huuuge ones), but none that really appealed to me body-shape, eye-size or even colour wise.

Until I looked in their quarantine/medication tank full of yellow water (learned the yellow was Sera Baktopur anti fungal and bacterial medication) and saw this chappy/chappette amongst all the ailing/recovering fish! :)

0604293.jpg

0604294.jpg

It's not a show fish by any means as its eyes are slightly off-size. The right one a bit larger. But a good pet quality fish I think! :)

That red gill line in the first pic is just from catching it 'mid-breath', so nothing to worry about! It seems to have suffered from bad finrot or something though, so the edge of its tail is frayed. Which is probably why it was in the medication tank. But whatever caused it seems to be gone now. And again, the dorsal fin is kinked just like Buzz's was. Was this fish upside down too for a while? But Buzz has been totally fine for he three months I've had him so far, so hopefully I won't have any problems with this one either. I don't have any experience with a fish having finrot, so I'm not sure if the tail will recover back to normal though. I hope so as it's a beautiful butterfly shape.

Thanks Iain! :) That shop is like a chocolate shop for me. It's so hard to walk out of there without a new fish. Or three. :)

lol! thankfully im not at the stage of addiction yet as i only have a small tank and i know my limits. but someday im sure i wont be able to resist going in buying a 50 gallon and coming out with 3 or maybe 4 fancies! lol untill then i can just dream about getting some :)

Addiction? Ha! How about if I say I got another fish? That's right! Not three, but *four* new ones! ;)

I neglected to mention this one because I was planning to take it back to the lfs first thing today. When I put it in with Suzie (formerly Sushi!), it started chasing her all over the tank and nipping her fins. Here she is hiding warily from it, even though she's two to three times bigger.

A youngster short-tail calico Ryukin.

0604295.jpg

But that was all before the aggressive little tyke started chasing and biting Suzie! :( So I moved it in with the boys, and within 5 minutes it started chasing and biting Bumpy and Big Red too! It seems to be in this fish's nature. :(

But after a night of solitary confinement in a bucket for it, and after a bit of thought for me (and deciding I'm too lazy to drive all the way back to the lfs) I recalled that Kennedy did exactly the same thing when I first got him, and had to isolate him too. Then when I eventually re-introduced him to the others, he was fine. So I think it's just something they learn as hungry little fry trying to eat everything as they try to grow in overcrowded tanks.

So I've decided to set up the spare 2' tank on my desk for it and see if I can rehabilitate it from its terrible habit. *sigh* Another tank to maintain...

Wow, Awrieger, you got some really great finds there. I can't wait to see how lovely they turn out after a few months with you!

I'm sorry about Lucy, she was a beautiful oranda. I hope you're two new ones can fill the dpace she left in your heart.

LOL, poor Suzy! That's such a great picture, she's got so much character in it. Naughty little ryukin! I hope that you can teach him to behave himself. If not then tell him about the Koko stick if he keeps up this behavior!

Hey, I was wondering if it would be ok to shoot you a pm? I actually have a few questions I'd like to ask you. OK, actually a bunch. I'm finally going to start my first planted tank soon, and I was hoping you'd be kind enough to share some of your insight with me. I'll wait 'til ya let me know. :)

Thanks so much, Mae! :) It's finally nice to have some tiny babies again after all this time, with all the excitement of looking forward to see how they develop!

Sure, ask away! :) I'll be more than happy to help. It's difficult to actually explain everything in a few posts or messages as there are various types of planted tanks and all sorts of different plants. But I'll try! :)

Unfortunately I have no experience with growing plants in 'low-light' set ups, so the first thing I'll probably advise you (because it's what I advise everyone else too) is to spend some money to buy a decent compact fluorescent light fixture. Basically because its the only thing I know. Unfortunately, having to spend money before even getting any plants usually makes a lot of people lose interest in planted tanks before they even begin! Which is a shame becase it's quite a rewarding experience having a nice planted tank to look at. :)

Wow, Awrieger, what beautiful ryukin you found - yet again. Reminds me so much of Kennedy, and I love how black it is on all the fins. :heart I can't wait to see how the little bugger turns out in a few months from now.

Same for the other new fish, and I had to laugh out loud when I saw how your big baby hid behind the plant pot from such a little fishie! :rofl3 You can even see in her eyes how scared the fish is... :thud

Thanks Andrea. :) Now that he's set up in his own tank on my desk right next to me now, I'm really glad I kept him. He's swimming around like an excitable idiot - just like Kennedy used to do! He's even got a black left eye like Kennedy. Except for the shorter tail, hey're so much alike both in personality and appearance! :)

Man Yu, I think I was lucky to find this one. Maybe they sold all the others and this one in the medication tank was the last one they had. It's totally different to all the other telescopes they had in the other tanks. Their eyes were all just normal telescopes, whereas this one has the big bulgy eyes like a black moor. Bigger than even Big Red's when he was a youngster!

:heart Lucy was just a doll and I can't wait to see how these new pretty babies you've got turn out like.

I love your new Ryukin too...he's a beauty :heart and it really is funny to see Suzy hiding out :lol: . I hope after a brief time out...they'll get along.

Congrats on all your new fishies....they're all lovely as usual. I wish the stores here had such a great selection....(or maybe not or I would be setting up way too many tanks! ;) ).