Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

Thanks, DG.

What?! Oh no!! Please don't tell me that! Do you recall what the problem might have been, or where you read it? I've only just put them in so I haven't noticed any problems yet. Hopefully it's not too late if there's going to be a problem with them. I'll try doing a search on here for 'glazed pots'.

Hmm, interesting. From the threads I searched, it seems some glazes may be made with lead as an ingredient. I suspect that wouldn't be the case here in Australia because a quick go0gle.com.au search gave me this:

"Lead paint and glaze was banned for residential use in the early '70s."

So, whew!

But now I'm concerned about the brown colouring because it may have copper in it. Probably not though. Looking closely at it, the 'metallic' look actually comes from the glaze rather than the under-colour which is basically just a dark brown.

Edited by awrieger

PS. I bought them at Bunning's Warehouse Nursery, but I checked out the manufacturer/importer's website. Doesn't say anything about what they use to make them, but they do have a fantastic collection of pots and urns etc. I might just go check them out!

Here's their website if anyone else in Australia is interested:

Motyaj

I really like those plants (and apparently Sushi does too :rofl ). It's amazing the difference some greenery makes! :heart

Hmmmm I guess they're ok as long as theyre not chipped or broken then, AW :D

IMO, plain terra cotta pots are the safest :lol:

Edited by d_golem

Your fish are just beautiful! I really hope that poor Fuji makes it through. I love your plant arrangements that is such aclever way to really add something to a barebottom tank! If you're still worried about the pots how about colored glass or clear glass though I'm not sure what that would look like in a barebottom. I had some of my plants in small glass candle votives that is before the goldies got to 'em! ;)

Thanks Ginger. :) I agree, plants just change the whole look, don't they?

Thanks so much, Arenthia. :) Fuji's still hanging in there. I read your intro post and I have to tell you I'm considering my next tank design is going to be Rococo! ;) Or maybe Neo-Classical... not sure.. Oh, and thanks for the tip about glass jars. I actually tried that with mustard jars. It looked pretty good too even if I say so myself. I think you should still be able to see it in the tank of the month forum for June last year.

Riz, you may be right about if they are broken. The glazing/baking renders it chemically inert. But maybe the breaking exposes the paint under the glazing. I found these two question/answers on the topic on Wetwebmedia (maybe they should be added as a sticky):

Using ceramic glazed objects in freshwater aquariums

Dear Bob,

<Julie>

I have read your FAQ about DIY objects for your aquarium. I saw two different answers. One said that you shouldn't put

glazed objects in your aquarium. The other answer said that you can add glazed objects in an aquarium.

Can you pleases help me out here. I like to add fire glazed objects with my tetra's,

thanks for the help,

Julie

<All ceramics that have been glazed that I have ever heard of are safe for aquarium use. The glazing process renders the pieces chemically inert... so they do NOT influence water quality. Bob Fenner>

Clay Pots

Hello, Just wanted to ask if it was safe to use clay flower pots that you can get from any garden center to use as decoration in a freshwater aquarium setup?? The fish will require soft to medium soft water and I didn't know if the clay would harden the water any. If it is alright to use the pots what is the best way to clean them??? Thanks for your help, Frances Gray

<<Frances, yes, assuming you mean the regular, reddish terracotta pots, they are fine. To clean them just rinse under tap water and scrub them with some baking soda. If you want to cut the pots in half lengthwise, you can soak them for a few days in a bucket with water to soften them, this will make it easier to saw them in two without them chipping. Do not use pots with paint, glazes, etc, for obvious reasons. Have fun :) -Gwen>>

Edited by awrieger

Hmm :blink: two very different answers regarding glazed pots.

Then again, many aquarium ornaments are glazed. I myself will be very careful in handling glazed stuff so that they won't chip.

Guest mi2tom

060120-buzz02.jpg

060120-buzz01.jpg

And next to Big Red as a size comparison:

060120-buzz03.jpg

462111[/snapback]

###### nice!!! I love ryukins

Guest GA REBEL

cool, look great

Edited by GA REBEL

Wow, Awrieger! I'm trying not to gush, but I really love your eye for plants and arrangements. ok.gif Your tanks are some of the most beautiful and creative I've seen. :lol1 Ahh! I sound like such a flake! Anyhow, I've been concerend about safe planters for my tanks too, but I still want to have the beautiful colors I can get with enamel pots. I've found some gorgeous vases at Crate and Barrel. Do you have Crate and Barrel in Australia? I think since glass is inert, it should be quite safe for an aquarium environment. I'm planning on using these in my setups.

Hm, I wonder if those plants still look all nice, or if "somebody" decided to attack the salad bar down to the roots... :rofl3

Hm, I wonder if those plants still look all nice, or if "somebody" decided to attack the salad bar down to the roots... :rofl3

10 day later update (yesterday actually):

060301sushi01.jpg

The tall Val leaves on the left are decimated, but the Spiral Val leaves on the right are totally intact. Not one leaf on the right is even scratched.

This is because the Vals on the left came from a low-light non-CO2 tank and so had soft, weak leaves. While the Vals on the right came from a CO2 tank with strong light and hence their leaves are stronger and healthier. Ditto all the fluffy Sessiliflora. Despite a hundred attempts of her chewing at it, it's strong and healthy enough to withstand her attacks and is totally undamaged.

A lesson I've learned! Literally, a goldfish will only tear apart a plant that it can tear apart. Sounds like a no-brainer, doesn't it? But that usually just means plants which are weak with soft or dying leaves from growing in poor light or with poor fertlising. If you can get the plant growing strongly, a small goldfish like Sushi can't really harm it no matter how much she tries to tug and tear at it. Not even a 'soft' stem plant like the Sessiliflora. After a while of no success, they just leave them alone altogether. Of course, when she grows to 3x the size, that'll be a different matter - back to the bare tank setup! ;)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe I missed this thread before. Your photos are amazing! Your fishes are gorgeous and I love your tank set up. You have a way with plants, they look so lush and lively. My fishes totally murdered any and all plants I put in the tank.

I was in the middle of scrubbing the diatoms and algae off the glass and I look behind the pot and what do I see? Someone sneaking a snack!

060307sushi01.jpg

:lol1 Aw that is such a great shot! It looks like he's eating the veggie version of those fruit roll ups for kids! :lol:

Thanks for sharing your experience of plants vs. goldies with us. I'm still far from getting the CO2, fertilizer and lighting cocktail right, but this is some good info that I've printed out and am saving in my fish files. :)

Euh, I think I know why even my Java Ferns getting eaten <_< not enough light & becoming soft & weak

Have you already settled on "Seaweed" as a name yet? coz it seems to me that to stay more within your chosen theme of Japanese names, you could have gone with "Nori", "Wakame", or "Arame", basically, Japanese for "Seaweed".

Just tossing in my two cents, it's your call of course if you want to stick with "Seaweed" :D

Isn't that a funny picture? :rofl3 Look at him, he even looks guilty about begin caught! :tomuch: "Munch, nibble, .... wasn't... munch... me...!" You should have saved that picture for Picture of the week! :thud

Thanks. She really did look guilty when she saw me! Sort of did a double take but couldn't spit the long leaf out fast enough, lol.

Thanks Man Yu. I'm not really settled on Seaweed to be honest. The original name of Buzz seems to suit his personality better. Thanks for the suggestions. They're far more exotic than names than Bumpy and Big Red who he's sharing the tank with!

Well, I've had him for almost two months now and he seems to be doing okay I think. Constantly hungry, but still needs to put more fat on his hump! Here's some update pics from today.

The first one shows his nice long tail next to Bumpy (who's still battling recurring gill damage and has lost weight over the last six months). The last one is with Big Red in the background. Red's eyes have slowly gone completely black over the past year so I think he's totally blind now, and so spends most of his time resting on the bottom. I have to tap the glass to let him know when I'm feeding them and he has difficulty fiinding the food pellets.

060312-buzz01.jpg

060312-buzz02.jpg

060312-buzz03.jpg

really? wow, I didnt know pigmentation in the eyes causes blindness. Are you sure that's the reason for his lethargy? well, when I have a fish that's visually impaired what I do is impale the food on a plastic juice straw and directly point it in the fish's nose to allow him to smell it.

As for names, well, You really have to let the fish's character dictate the final choice

I'm not really sure. His lethargy could be due to the general malaise which struck down all my fish in the middle of last year. But his blindness is something which has developed slowly over the past two years.

His eyes used to be like Buzz's there, with a black pupil. But the black pupil just expanded bit by bit until his whole eye is now black. Both of them. Being a telescope, his eyesight wasn't very good to begin with and now it seems to have gone completely. He doesn't know there's food unless he feels the sinking pellets touch him on the way down. I tap the glass when that happens so I can build up the association between tapping and food.

Well, Im not so sure its a good idea to train him to associate taps with food, but Im no expert <_<

However, if he's already having a hard time finding the food, wouldn't it make more sense to deliver it to him rather than chance his tankmates eating all of it up before he gets to it?

He's a lot bigger than the other two. They try to get as much as they can before it gets to the bottom where he just barges them out of the way as he blindly hoovers the bottom looking for it. But he has to know the food's there before he can start hoovering! ;)

I also seriously overfeed so there's plenty for all three. :)