Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

Sorry to hear about Fugi, hope she recovers.

BTW: Your ryukins are stunning. :)

You have an excellent eye for ryukin, Awrieger! I still remember your calico with the great hump, and Lightyear looks just stunning! :heart

Thanks Andrea. I actually have great expectations of Buzz. He's about the same size now as when I first got Kennedy in Dec 04, but his body shape is already far better developed. So if Kennedy could develop such a nice round shape in six months, I can only imagine how Buzz is going to look! *fingers crossed*

kennedy01.jpg

Buzz is decidedly skinny at the moment and needs a lot of fattening up. I need to feed the growing boy! :)

Thanks everybody for both your commiserations and congratulations. With both good news and bad news at the same time, I'm sort of yo-yoing up and down in emotions. :unsure:

Lucy, that actually crossed my mind. It was actually the main reason I went to the goldfish shop, but they didn't have any redcap male ranchus there yesterday. They're expecting a new shipment of fish in two weeks, so I'll go back and look. I'd like her to live on, if only through her offspring.

This one here from that auction site Andrea linked to would do (if it's a boy), even though his head growth isn't anywhere near as good as Fuji's, and he's not technically a recap...

---

Andrea, I think doing large water changes was the actual problem. I did a couple of big ones recently and now she's showing exactly the same signs as my other females, Angel and Frostbite, did just before they died (ie, falling over on their side).

I'm going to get a reverse-osmosis filter. I really don't want these two new Ryukins to succumb as well. The dechlorinator filter I got a few months ago is obviously not enough. It's helped a bit, but the problem is still there. After any water change, all my fish look really depressed and ill. I suppose that's an improvement as at least it's not making them drop dead within days like it used to. Before June last year, a water change would always perk them up and they'd get all happy, but for the last six months it's been the exact opposite.

I just need to work out how to heat the filtered water up to the tank's temperature without using any hot water straight from the tap. I could try boiling some of the filtered water then adding it to the rest to warm it up, but that's a lot of work.

Edited by awrieger

Sounds like there is something in your tap water that bothers them then, Awrieger. Have you tested that lately? Assuming you are on city water, your local water department has to give you for free an anual water report about what exactly they put into their water. It should be a multiple page report, and shows all kinds of stuff.

I am on well water, and if I put water straight into my fish's tanks, some of them don't do well for a few hours. When I have the water sit out for 24 hours, none of them shows any ill effects.

I have ALWAYS admired your goldfish and your tank. Congratulations on the beauties you just purchased. I'm also so sorry to hear about Fuji. She is such a sweetie. :heart

Sorry about Fuji, Aw. I'm glad that there's a silver lining with your new Ryukins, though. :heart

Wow AW - i'm going to have to visit that place some day. Your fish are absolutely beautiful :heart

I'm praying that Fuji pulls through this - she really is such a honey :heart

Thanks again everybody. I'm going to try what I can to save her. It's just hard to stay positive when I've been through it too many times before.

Jed, nice to see you again! Do you still have your Two-Buddhas tank?

Andrea, Sydney Water's annual typical annual tapwater analysis for the Prospect Resevoir area (which is the one I'm in) is:

Ammonia: 0.01 - 0.4 ppm

Chloramines: 0.5 to 1.4 ppm

So I technically fit within their annual 'range'. Unfortunately, it's a staggeringly large range when talking about fish-keeping, so when both of these parameters go from from the low to the high extreme virtually overnight like I experienced, it's devastating. And it has stayed high so even if I detoxify all that ammonia before putting it in my tank, it still means high nitrate levels really quickly as all that ammonia is converted.

And with so much ammonia, any over-cleaning of my canister filter which kills off some of the bacteria will throw the cycle out. With my barebottom tanks I don't have any bacteria in the gravel etc to compensate, only what's in the canister. Yesterday, I measured 0.1 nitrites in my boys' tank after a filter-clean and water change this week. It's like I'm permanently and forever going though mini-cycles. So I've recently just added a second all-biological canister filter to their tank as a back up now.

But I definitely need a reverse-osmosis filter on my tapwater. I've already started looking around for a good one. But weesh, expensive!!

Edited by awrieger

Gosh, that water issue sure sounds like a big pain. I mean, it is hard enough keeping those guys happy without the added troubles of pondering what comes into their tanks with the next water change. Changes are supposed to be a positive thing for the fish, not a runarond with yet another mini cycle.

So, you get a lower dosage of ammonia, and a higher one on chloramines. Hm, you do realize that when the chloramine is "taken care of", it does split up in chlorine and yet more ammonia, right? Wow, what an unnerving thing with every water change. I hope you find a great RO system to get a grip on this. :hug

I heard that using AC (activated carbon) for a short time when ur changing water will soak up all the excess ammonia. Is it true, Andrea?

I always thought that carbon was only good for taking out meds. I believe the stuff you are thinking about is Zeolite? That is the stuff taking out ammonia.

Haven't thought of that, Awrieger - is that something you can find in AU?

Yea, zeolite or AC :D The guys at RG use AC when changing water. Exactly how in detail I cannot remember :lol: I'll try & find out

Congratulations on your new fish! Buzz and Lightyear (great names) are absolutley beautiful! I am so glad that you are feeling a little better - enough to get some new fish... :heart

I am sorry about Fuji :hug . We have all out fingers, fins, and paws crossed here! :exactly

Sounds like R/O is the way to go - I have been talking about them on a marine website in my area - all those guys use them - they are pricey but sounds like it might do wonders for your tank - I totally sympathise with your tap water situation! I don't know what is available in Oz but I will keep my :listen: open at WAMAS (Wasington marine Aquarists Society).

ryukins rule!

Well, they're settling in okay I think. I've decided to rename this one Sushi. I thought she was brain damaged for a while because she basically stuck in one place at the front glass all the time, but she's moving around a lot more now so I think it might just have been from 'shipping shock'. I took these pics of her 10 minutes ago.

060212sushi01.jpg

060212sushi02.jpg

060212sushi03.jpg

I'm going to change Buzz's name to Seaweed as well. Keep that Japanese food theme going ;)

Speaking of Japanese, Fuji's not doing so well and is now in a hospital tank on my desk where I can drop the water level down so I can flip her over on either side every now and then so she doesn't get too distorted from lying on one side for too long. Thanks again for all the well wishes everyone.

Amazing, the way Sushi's colors have come out in just a few short weeks! She really is one of the most beautiful Ryukins I've ever seen. When do we get to see pics of Seaweed?

I don't know what to say about Fuji, poor girl. It sounds silly with the condition she seems to be in, but I hope she can still get better. Good luck with her. :(

Thanks Vroom. :) She's not as red as I thought she was in the shop and when I first brought her home. Must have been the light. She's more the bright orange metallic colour, almost identical to Big Red. But Big Red looks red in a lot of his photos because of the GroLux tube in his light fixture (which is more red spectrum). I'm quite pleased with Sushi regardless. She's going to be quite an awesome fish when she's full grown I think! :)

Seaweed needs to grow and fatten up a litle bit more before I take more photos, otherwise he still looks the same as in those first pics. He's eating like a hungry little pig, so that shouldn't take long though! lol

Oh, and thanks everyone for the help and advice on my water. These two new fish seem to be doing okay with no ill effects so far, but I'm going to get an R/O filter anyway. Just to make me feel more secure about what I'm pouring into their tanks!

I really like the new names :D

Those are great pics of Sushi...she's gorgeous! :heart

Sorry to hear Fuji is still not doing well. :(

Sushi's amazing and so beautiful .... and i'm still praying for Fuji AW :heart

I now understand what you mean when you talk about the ill affects of our water - 2 weeks ago, I did a 50% waterchange on the 60g and then tested the ammonia, 1.0 :( . Then I tested out of the tap - 1.0. Suffice to say, 2 of my fish now have ammonia burns that are just starting to heal and I triple dose on Prime. When I cleaned all the tanks yesterday, it was with trepidation that I tested the tap water - thankfully it was only at 0.25ppm. It's converted quickly as I run so many filters on all of my tanks but my more sensitive fish didn't fare so well. Rotton Sydney water :(

Wow your fish are all gorgeous. My thoughts are with Fuji. I really hope she can make it :heart

Thanks again everyone. :) So sorry to hear about your own tapwater going the way mine did, Jen :( I've learned that they sometimes 'flush' the system with chlorine/chloramine if they test positive for bad bacteria in their samples so hopefully it was just a temporary thing for you. I hope your fish recover well from their burns!

I posted the following pic on a planted tank forum I also visit (where they dread goldfish, lol!). I decided to spruce up Sushi's boring bare tank with some 'bouquets'. I experimented with them before just using plain tupperware pots, but this time I bought some nice baked enamel pots.

So here's the first bouquet. It's Sessiliflora in the middle, Val at the back, a couple of small Amazon Swords, and then a Marble Queen and some Red Lotus babies in the front. It's been in the tank for 2 minutes and Sushi's checking it out:

060221sushi01.jpg

Oh no! It's a salad bar! Or should that be a Sushi bar? ;) Not to worry, she was just checking it out and I think they'll be okay.

060221sushi02.jpg

Here's the full tank. All three pots are actually all identical material, but the two outer ones are angled so they look different to the middle one in this pic. I set the camera to 'auto' for these pics so all the colours look a bit weird anyway, sorry:

060221sushi03.jpg

AW, u really have a way with plants and decorating tanks, don't u? :D That's just gorgeous!

Btw, I've read something about glazed pots being unsafe in an aquarium a while ago. Have u got any problems with them?