Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

I'm very sorry to hear about Foghorn and Apache but relieved that you are fine. :exactly

Our fish require so much constant care in order to thrive. I have often wondered what would happen if I became unable to to care for them as I do now. It's scary. :(

All your fish and photos are stunning. :heart

I am sorry to hear you have been in hospital AW and also the loss of your 2 beauties Foghorn and Appache. Fish are totally dependent on us and as Sonny says above, that is scary on a bad day or an away day. On a good day that gives us pleasure, knowing we can care for them and make them happy I suppose.

Your fish are so much luckier than most fish -the lives they have- and you do so well for them and with them, please don't feel bad :heart .

Nice to see you back online. How are all your other fish doing?

Oh that is very sad news :( I'm so sorry AW. They were beautiful. I'm sure you did your very best for them in difficult circumstances :exactly

Thanks guys. I managed to do the filter cleans and water changes on all the other tanks before going into hospital, so all the rest made it through it okay. Except for their tank as I ran out of time to do theirs even though they were already overdue their water change, so I seriously regret not finding the time now as they paid the most serious price for it.

I really don't know what I'll do if I have to go away for an extended period of time. It's something I've always put off thinking about but now it's something I should really have a plan for just in case as I don't really have anyone who would or could do all those water changes (or even understand why they need to be done). A week is probably the most I'd be prepared to leave them for and not expect severe losses. Maybe getting a large plastic pond like a kiddies pool would be the best option.

I am glad to see you back here, Awrieger - and I hope that the cancer thread has been taken care of for good.

Is there anybody amongst your friends or relatives, husband, brother, sister - anybody who would be willing to take care of your fish if neccessary? Or maybe a local club, or even a trusted employee of your favorite fish store? Maybe a local breeder, or aquarium society? I know we try to avid thinking about those things, but its important to have some sort of backup. Your fish are beautiful, and are part of your life. Nothing worse than seing them suffering.

Do you have any of those cute pearlscales left, and how his your problem fish? Was that the ranchu? :unsure:

Im so sorry to hear about your fish and your problems AW. :( I am glad to see you back online and hope to see you here more often now. :heart

Thank you. I'm glad to be back! Not as active as before, but I do read most threads and look at everyone's great fish even if I don't reply. :)

Andrea, it's just me and the fish. To be honest, it's simply too much hard work to ask anyone to look after them as a favour. I did leave instructions with my mother to contact the nearby lfs to come and take them all away if I didn't come back.

Fuji (the one in my avatar pic) is the one you mean, I think. She's still on her side. Last Christmas was the first anniversary of her being like that and my hand feeding her every day. She's lost a lot of weight recently because I only feed her once a day now. She's sharing her tank with Tiku the golfball pearlscale, the other invalid fish with the same problem, but who's still growing and fatter than ever. Despite their lack of swimming and balance, they both seem otherwise quite resilient and I keep thinking about breeding them if it's possible - Fuji with my only other ranchu Sundae, and Tiku with the Hama Nishiki here:

0703242.jpg

btw, that little oranda turned out to be so stunted he's barely grown in size at all since I got him, but his wen is growing immensely so he's mostly head down now from the weight of it.

Guest jorge

WOW!

really awesome fish.

you should consider to send these pics to goldfish of the week.

=]

AW - I hope you're better now... although it sounds like your strength is returning thank goodness :)

Your fish are as ever :heart

Are you in Sydney? If so and you're ever called away for more than a week, pm me...

Thanks Jorge. :) Unfortunately I can't resist posting my pics as soon as I take them, which disqualifies them from pic of the week (you can only enter pics not posted elsewhere already).

Thank you very much the extremely generous offer, Jen! :heart My home office where I have all my tanks looks very much like your own fish room, so you'd be literally doubling your own workload, so it is very generous of you, thanks!

You can relax about the thought of taking all that work on though! ;) The problem was simply because I overestimated my own superhuman powers of recovery, so I didn't plan it well at all. It really knocked me around far more than I was expecting. I'm going to get some outdoor ponds so if it ever comes to planning to be away for a while in the future, I'll just move them outdoors. I've seen some commercial 8' x 4' fibreglass rectangular breeder containers (2,500 litres each), which are actually cheaper than the last big tank I recently bought.

Thanks again! :)

What's 5 more tanks? :D

Setting up some ponds is an excellent idea - one i'm thinking of adopting myself :)