Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awrieger

Two New Ryukins

Well, it's been over six months since my tanks were devastated and have been looking pretty bare with just three invalid fish all this time, so I started thinking maybe it's time I acquired some new fish to see if my luck will change.

So I visited Trans Aquariums at Canley Vale today. Lots o' fish as usual, but most had some small fault or other, eg a kinked fin for example or a wen that's been pecked by another fish. So not all perfect sepcimens. but there were still a few good ones to pick from. Some awesome Blue Orandas and really nice Pearscales and Black Moors among lots and lots of other fish there, but I've decided I'm only going to get red&white fish from now on. Keep a 'theme' going.

So I picked up these two Ryukins. I'm temporarily calling them Buzz and Lightyear unless/until I can think of better names.

Buzz here I *think* is a boy, so he goes into Big Red and Bumpy's tank. A nice red back and clean long fins. His dorsal fin has a small kink which is something I see in a lot of white finned fish from Trans. He needs a bit of fattening up to get his 'hump' fuller:

060120-buzz02.jpg

060120-buzz01.jpg

And next to Big Red as a size comparison:

060120-buzz03.jpg

And this is Lightyear. I *think* she's a girl, so she's gone in with Fuji. Lightyear is more orange on the body but the hood on her head is red and nice and even like a superheroes cap. Her fins are very nice, nice and even with great colouring, with a really good erect dorsal fin (often they flop over on Ryukins).

After putting her in my tank, I'd have to say she's the best specimen Ryukin I've ever gotten. Her hump already has nice definition, so as she grows, it should actually grow over in a fold over her head:

060120-lightyear02.jpg

060120-lightyear01.jpg

And on a sad note, my beautiful Fuji has taken ill so I'm fearful I'm going to lose her, and Lightyear may have that tank all to herself soon. She's a bit different to how she looked when younger (in my avatar pic). Six months ago she looked like this and was almost pure white (and not liking her planted tank at all):

050714-fuji07.jpg

Her wen has grown over her eyes a bit since then and she's started getting more orange (which I think is a water pH thing). This is her on Christmas Day a few weeks ago, when she unloaded a few eggs. She was struggling a bit until then, but unfortunately there seemed to be complications and after this something has gone wrong inside her and she's slowly since then fallen over on the her side. :(

051225-fuji08.jpg

She's such a beautiful fish, but unfortunately I think it's pretty certain I'm going to lose her. I really wanted to breed her as my first attempt at breeding goldies if I could find a matching male redcap ranchu for her, but that doesn't look like it'll happen now. :(

firstly, congrats on the 2 new babies!!

im really sorry that Fuji has fallen ill. i hope she makes a recovery :)

All of your Ryukins are GORGEOUS. :druel

Im sorry to hear about Fuji's ailing health. :( She is adorable.

:cry1 Sorry to read about Fuji. Do you know what is wrong with her? She is so beautiful! I hope she can be helped. :exactly

Your two new fish are very, very nice. They look great! :heart

Congrats on them and good luck with Fuji.

Thanks Tink and Erin and Vmlola. It's really sad to watch her struggling, but there's nothing I can do except add a bit of salt and Melafix and some vitamins, and just hope. But I'm not hopeful at all so I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Edited by awrieger

awrieger, I must say u have an eye for goldfish :blink: the two ryukins are stunning, but more so Lightyear! One question though, does Lightyear stays horizontal when swimming or is it slightly tilting forward as in the pics?

Very sorry about Fuji. U migh have to change ur avatar quite soon.....

So sorry to hear about Fuji, she's such a lovely fish. keep us posted on her!

And nice finds with the Ryukin! I wish i could find ones like that near me

Thanks Arley. Thanks Riz. No she's vertical, just leans forward like that looking for food. One thing though is that she's sticking to the bottom rather than swimming around in mid-water like Buzz does. She was actually a bit like that in the shop tank, so I'm not sure if it's a permanent thing or not.

Thanks Peanuts, I will. Most of their fish come from HK/China so I suppose that would be the same as Tommy's auction for yourself, except this place gets in whole batches of baby fish (some actually not healthy), while Tommy gets in only the better specimens. So I guess Tommy would just save you the trouble of spending an hour or more having to pick out a good one from a tank of thirty-odd not so good ones!

You have an excellent eye for ryukin, Awrieger! I still remember your calico with the great hump, and Lightyear looks just stunning! :heart

Of course, you have to watch Big Red now, he thinks Buzz is an afternoon snack. What a difference in size!

Too bad about your Fuji, but maybe it isn't too late yet. You think she could be egg bound, and has she dropped any eggs lately? After a couple of days with fasting I'd put her on a very light diet - mostly peas, nothing high protein, and see if that helps somewhat. Or have you tried to do a larger water change, and adding some water with it that is slightly cooler? Daryl recommended that for eggbound fish, and she had good success with it. A cup of cooler water for every 10 gl...

Sorry to go off topic but what's Tommy's auction?

:heart Beautiful ryukins! All of them! :)

I'm so sorry Fuji is ailing...I hope she recovers....what a beauty! :heart

Those fish are beautiful.. all of them :heart

y'know, if you thought it'd be too much stress for her to breed, you could find her a mate, and wait for her 'time' then as soon as you can, so the eggs are still fresh, hand spawn them?

I'm so sorry to hear about Fuji. Hopefully she'll feel better soon.

All of your ryukins are beautiful, but I've gotta say Big Red is one stunning fish! I would love to have a fish with that gorgeous coloring.

What gorgeous ryukins!! I need more fish . . . .

Congrats!! :heart

Sorry to go off topic but what's Tommy's auction?

462267[/snapback]

Here you go, Peanuts.... :)

http://goldfishnet.com/ItemListings.asp

UuuuUUuuu :blink: Lot #612 is nice! One of the better bodied ranchus Tommy has got lately

31st%20Auction%20(GN)%20504.jpg

while lot #618 is just him being lazy I think :lol:

31st%20Auction%20(GN)%20879.jpg

Riz, if you ever wonna see some very nice ranchu, check that one out....

http://www.koi-art.com/goldfish-store.html

I just :heart the face on G3! :thud

Andrea, u know I'm ever in search of nice ranchus :D and the ones in the link are indeed nice ones ("nice" prices also) :D

I love your ranchu couple d-golem.

And back to Lightyear the ryukin. that is the best, highest backed ryukin I ever saw! :exactly:heart