Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest labrat99

Zippy - Before And After

Guest labrat99

I trimmed Zippy's headgrowth ( I hate the word "wen" for some reason :blink: ) on Saturday. I had put it off for way too long because it can be rather traumatic, at least for me. I noticed the other day that he was bumping into stuff in the tank so I decided it needed to be done right away. He turned out to be a decent patient and here are a couple of before and after pics...

Before:

DSC_0006_lr_a.JPG

And After:

DSC_0004_lr_a.JPG

I trimmed around both eyes and a little over his mouth in the front.

He looks very handsome :D

I think I stay away from this type for this very reason...trimming...nope...don't think I could do it... :ignore

Well your a heck of a lot braver than I labrat! ^_^ His haircut looks nice! You did a wonderful job, How exactly do you give him his "haircut" ? :unsure:

I have alway's adored those chubby cheeks, But I can't bring myself to buy one beacause I would be too afraid to cut their "Hair do's" :scared

You did a great job! I love his headgrowth :heart I have a blue oranda who's wen goes all around his face and on top of head and I am always dreading the day his might need trimming around his eyes :ignore , so if you have any good tips and wanna share....fire away! :D

GOOD JOB! Im preparing myself if I should ever have to do that one day. Orandas are my FAV! So it just may come up one day but Im prepared. :D

Did you use clove oil to sedate him first? Can you tell us how you did this?

NOTE: if anyone is thinking about trying this, dont ever do it unless the fish absolutly needs it and dont do it if you are unsure of your ability to do it correctly.

Yikes I never heard of this. how do you do that, with scissors or...? I can't imagine, how scary. Anyway you did it well. :#1

yeah you can use very sharp scissors or a sharp blade. Id use a blade..more control.

Its not such a big deal. This is not something that is common. Ususally orandas and other wenned fish dont need this, but when it hinders their eyesight, breathing, eating to the point that they will suffer, then it is neccesary.

Its very simple, but it has to be done with great care.

Zippy is a very nice looking Calico Oranda.....excellent body type, great coloration, and awesome chubby cheecks.

You did a very nice job.....he is even more handsome now :D

:D Arlewy's right! Zippy is the Man! Cute fish!! :lol:

You did an excellent job in trimming him. Devs is right...Zippy is the man!

Brave you are!

Good job.

:)

:goodjob You are very brave! But, Zippy looks great - very handsome!

I am with Persimmon and FroggyD, I think I stay away from wenned fish for fear of ever having to trim it! :yikes But, hopefully, I will get over it one day! :rolleyes:

Is it hard to do or just scary?! Did you anaesthetize him in Clove oil or Finquel...?

Edited by Graham

Guest labrat99

Hi Guys.

Thanks for all the comments on Zippy. I'm real proud of him; I'd like to enter him in a show one day. I actually had planned on showing him in San Antonio this past September, but hurricane Rita came that weekend and the show was cancelled. We evacuated to Dallas, so I wouldn't have made it anyway even if the show hadn't been cancelled.

I've had to trim Zippy's headgrowth twice now. I use a small, pointy-end pair of scissors and I don't anesthesize the fish. I'm more worried about screwing up the anesthesization and killing the patient than anything else. They don't feel any pain in the headgrowth, unless you cut too deep and reach the "quick" for lack of a better term. It's just like trimming your fingernails, as long as you stay out toward the end of your nail there is no pain. There is a sensation and you can feel the clippers, but it doesn't hurt. It's the same for the fish - they'll often jump at the first snip, but after that they are fine.

I'm left handed, so I catch the fish in my right hand and hold him around the middle and lift him out of the tank to cut. I never keep him out of the tank more than 20 seconds or so. I'll cut as much as I can in the time I have, then put him back in the tank and let him catch his breath before cutting more. Usually it takes four or five trips in and out of the tank to get it done. The big thing I worry about is poking them in the eye, so I'm extremely careful with the scissors when I'm near their eyes. The point of this execise is to give them better vision, not take it away permanently! I'm also careful not to grip them too tight; it's better for them to squirm out of your hand than to hold them so tight that you injure them.

I guess that's it. It is a little stressful to me and I'm sure very stressful to them but in the end you're improving the fish's quality of life so I think it's worth doing.

Haha Zippy looks like an Afro Pimp :) Maybe you could submit the How To in the tip of the month forum, I haven't seen much info about trimming wens around here.

Haha Zippy looks like an Afro Pimp :) Maybe you could submit the How To in the tip of the month forum, I haven't seen much info about trimming wens around here.

460667[/snapback]

:rofl fab observation there Kissy. Great haircut and I must say you make it sound easy. Zippy must be a very chilled out fish. Yes Tip of the month good idea.

Aww! He's so cute and speckly! I love orandas they look like chubby kids. I'd be so nervous to try and trim my orandas wen! But it loks like you did a great job!

Impressed is not the word. I'm such a scaredy-cat, but you explained it beautifully and also answered some q's I had regarding what it is and how they would feel it.

Thanks!

He's a HOTTIE!

S~

Edited by Saivite

:heart He looks amazing! You did a very nice job. He does look like he has an Afro.

I love orandas and Zippy is beautiful! :)

Great job! on the wen trim labrat. Don't know if I would have the steady hands to do that.

Wow you did a great job!! I would be shakin in my shoes if I had to do that!! For now, I'm sticking with fantails and ryukins . .. .

gorgeous fish. I :heart the colors!!