Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kat

Sigh - Detected Flukes Too Late :(

Dear all,

I lost a fish after it started dropsying. I realised that it could be flukes again. Unfortunately this batch of fishes I have area really hardy, so I suppose when I've already seen the symptoms (very very occasional flashing) this summer they've probably got extremely burdened by it all and snapped.

I have another fish that started to swell a bit. And he is now in a QT with some epsom and tetracycline antibiotics (that's the only antibiotic I can find here, besides melafix/pimafix :( ). He's now very clamped fins, with a slight black tinge on the tail (the other one that died had black patches on the sides, but I suppose this is because they are trying to heal from the stress?).

On the other hand I have another fish in the main problem tank (that has already been dosed with trichlorphon) that seems to be doing ok, swimming happily with fins all erect. I will keep dosing this tank with her in it as she seems to be coping better than the other who needs to be in QT.

What else should I do guys? I felt the sick one's body and it doesn't feel soft like the one that died. Is there hope? Water is fresh and replaced 2x a day. Oh and I forgot to say that his dropsy condition has disappeared (because of the pinch of epsom?), but he has a bit of pop-eye.

Oh I'm so sad :( I've already stopped getting the fancier goldfish (just fantails and comets), and wasn't expecting this to happen all over again. My fault too as I really should have done a precautionary dose of prazi when the weather got really hot here. I totally forgot that flukes is a long term problemm and is always there!

Hi there Kat - and i'm so sorry you're going through so much :(

Where abouts do you live? If you're in Australia, then I can certainly sympathise over the lack of meds available. For now though, keep up the TC/epsom and waterchanges... but there are much better meds available to you if you're in the States.

Also, what is it that makes you suspect flukes are at work here? Flukes aren't ever present - they're introduced by other infected fish but once you destroy them (and I mean kill off every single one of the little buggers) without any new infected introductions... your fish are fairly safe from them :)

Hi JenW, thanks for the reply...at times like this it sucks having to go through this ordeal alone :( Yes in OZ chemicals are very lacking. I wish medigold exists here, or a bit more decent antibiotics. The pet shelther and vets here don't work with fish too. Just dogs and cats, the common pets, oh well.

I'm not sure what else to do, I have switched to melafix/pimafix combo as I realised that TC doesn't seem to help, or could be doing more damage (???). He's just so listless, sitting on the bottom with all his fins (dorsal, pectoral, anal :( ) clamped up. I wish I knew what to do. He's in clean dechlorinated+aged water, salted 0.1% with the medication. His tail is also a bit torn at the edges (fin rottish), which made me wonder if the TC did something bad.

The other antibiotic I found that I have not used before is "bactonex" by aquasonic (main ingredient aminacrine hydrochloride & methylene blue. Could someone tell me if this is safe to use, what it does, and how to dose it? (I got this from someone and the label is worned out).

Please help.... the fish is so listless, but seems to be eating when food comes and pooping normal brown stuff (is there hope???) maybe I should be putting this in the 911 forum? Could someone do this for me?

PS: edited to add that I think it's flukes, because besides the flashing (that I failed to respond to quickly, stupid stupid me!), was that I could see them. Been here before about this issue last year. I am also eager to know if someone can clarify whether this sitting down with everything clamped, and tattered tail + pop-eye is a normal symptom of stress from flukes, or something else.

Edited by kat

Hi Kat. :)

Sorry your having probs again.

I couldn't help but notice that you said you se black tinges and markings forming. This is indicative of a chemical burn (there are no other known causes for that symptom). Ammonia or some other toxin seems to have caused the marks so I would check your params (tap AND tank) very closely (try cross checking your test kits at a LPS) and hit them up with some waterchanges and/or dosing with a detoxifier, if need be.

Let us know what you find. :unsure:

I'm with Toothy on the black marks.They are definate healing signs from Ammonia and/or Chemical burn.The other symptoms could very well be Parasites,but those symptoms also come around with poor water quality too.Do you have any Param readings for your tank? You could have been having water probs back in summer if you saw only occasional flashing,and no other symptoms.If you can,can you post all the answers to the questions above in Red,so that we may be able to advise you better. :)