Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sorsha

Updated Fry Photo

Guest lsaults

Hi-- very new to this form of communication, but the photos of eggs and baby fishies were VERY helpful. Thank you!!

Day before yesterday, I had a large surprise-- my big, full-figured black moor (named Koko, interestingly enough) was LAYING EGGS. The big calico nymph and plain golden fantail were following her and bumping her tummy-- not seeming really mean. Not having any appropriate tanks to remove the adults (55 gallon tank, cannister and charcoal filters, 5 fish), I cut up some fine nylon mesh (tulle), tied a rock in each piece, washed all in extremely hot water and plopped several into the tank to catch the eggs. After the fun had calmed down, I very gently removed the egg-studded nylon to a 10 gal. tank with dechlorinated water about 7 in. deep at the same temp as other tank.

I am very much hoping to be a fish grandma, but descriptions of fertile/infertile eggs all refer to "clear" or "cloudy" eggs. Inspection with a magnifying glass (I'm getting OLD) reveals the eggs in my tank to be sort of half-cloudy, half-clear. Looks like there might be some sort of "mass" forming in them, but not anything very dark. Ideas?? I know I'll be able to wait only a few days to see if anything hatches, but I'm EXCITED.This was a big surprise-- I didn't think I was doing anything special. I do make some homemade food (sort of shrimp/vegetable/vitamin jello jigglers) but wasn't fiddling with the temperature

Also I'm wondering how obvious it is whether the male is doing his part. My guys did not have any visible white bumps like I've read about and I could not see them actually doing anything other than poking poor Koko in the tummy. They've all calmed down and are seemingly back to being "just friends".

This is a ridiculously long "question" but I appreciate any info--

Guest Momof2Orandas

What a beautiful baby Sorsha!! Congrats!

I read your post and im really glad that the photos were able to help! I assume you went to the diary of raising fry with photos thread that i had made in the same forum :)

When you collected the eggs into the mesh, did you give the male time to release the sperm?

I noticed you didnt mention seeing the male doing more than bumping her tummy?

Your water would have turned a slight milky color if he did.

But overall, you will definetly know in the next 2 days whether or not you have babies or not

Make sure you keep me posted on how it goes!

Ask me all the questions you would like. I am more than happy to help any time you need me.

:heart

Guest lsaults

Gee-- I didn't notice any change in the water color-- and I did leave (most of) the eggs in for a few hours-- dunno-- I DID see all of the adults eating the eggs like popcorn, so I didn't want to leave them in for very long. Guess I'll just have to be patient and see if any start getting more visibly developing-- Thank you for the info and encouragement-- Lynn