Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alique89

Breeding Golgfish To Sell

Guest alique89

I'm just one of though guy that get crack pot ideas to make money sometime so just tell me if you thing this is a bad idea.

Last summer i found out i was able to breed my gold fish, and I'd like to try breedind and selling them. Now i don't know if i'm braking any laws here so if i am feel free to tell me off to.

But if you think i'm not a fool for trying thing this, i like to know!

Edited by alique89

You can try it but you won't be able to get much for commons. I can buy 2 inch commons out of a feeder tank for 8 cents. If you want to breed fish it's good to start with common fish that are easy to breed. To get experience breeding and raising fry. But if you want to make money you will have to breed the fancier or rare types.

Have you been able to raise any of your fry to salable size?

From what I gather, breeding and selling goldfish is not a real money maker unless you've got show quality parents. You have to spend a lot to get a big tank to keep them in separately with all the fixings, buy special food etc. But as long as you have the space, money, knowlege, time, and responsible people who want them, I don't see why not. I would not recomend selling them to a petstore. You will not get much, usually reguardless of the quality, and they will probably go to some kid with a bowl.

Edited by Kissy

Guest alique89

I had 2 fry this summer that survied the transfer of me bring them in from a pound And there about 2" or 5 cm. and there very healthy. :D

Breeding goldfish is not and never will be a money making occupation. Consider the best of conditions, and you will get several dozen fry from a spawning. The good breeders average about 1 in every 100 that is even worth growing out to the 1-2 inch size to see what they look like. 1 in every 100 of those is worth selling for something other than the cents per fish a wholesaler will buy them for. 1 in every 100 of those is worth selling to an average collector, 1 in 100 of those is show quality, and one in 1000 or more of those is a show stopper.

Consider that you will need approximately 5-10 gallons per fish to bring them to the size you need for retail. That is a whole lotta water for a very little payout. Without pristine water, the fish will not grow right and will not be saleable. One parasite, one disease runs through and you can lose a year's worth of work or more.

No - it is not a money maker.

But it is a work of love. IF you are truly serious about breeding, may I suggest that you look into a club in your area where you can trade fry and parent fish for the best possible lineage. Many clubs have fish auctions where the various members can sell their breedings and recoup some money. :)

Guest alique89

Are there any sites that may help me locate one of these clubs?

Breeding and selling goldfish is a little different than breeding and selling other fish because of the example that daryl gave.

If you breed tropicals you could raise them by the hundreds and have less problems getting quality fish than you would with goldfish. But you would still need a lot of tanks and aquarium suppies and food and the costs add up. Then once you raise all these fish to salable size you still need to find a buyer for them. That why I recommended breeding fancier, uncommon or rare fish. Pet stores might be more interested in buying your fish and there might be more demand for fish that you don't see in every pet store in the world. You could also list your fish on auction sites and find buyers.

Why would you buy a $2.00 fish from an auction site and pay $30.00 shipping when you could go to the pet store and buy the same fish for $5.00

But someone might pay $50 for a fish and not care about the shipping cost if it's the right kind of fish or difficult to find. Still with all the time and work involved it's not going to be a money maker. Although breeding and selling fish could help pay for your hobby.

I have been working on finding as many clubs and aquarium societies as possible, and Koko was very busy putting the clubs up. Aquarium societies are gonna follow, but its a lot of work and takes some time.

Here is the link to the clubs... :)

US and worldwide clubs

Guest calico4

My commons in my pond succesfully bred out in my pond this summer. I have around 9-10 healthy babies :heart about half are colored. One is like a calico, the colors arent distinctive but VERY beautiful.

calico

Guest alique89

cool the two fry i have were bred in a pound too

People who make money breeding goldfish are usually in China. Where you have lots of land area to put outdoor ponds for a cheaper price than anywhere else. They've got cheap fish food there too. Plus, cheap labor, and the advantage of being able to get good quality goldfish.

As to your question, you could earn a few bucks when you get too much babies. You could pick out from your baby goldfishes and sell off the rest if you don't have the space for them. :crp If you want to make big bucks, learn all the skill in goldfish keeping, then maybe you could have big tanks and ship show quality goldfishes from China and sell them in your home town. :)