Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sorsha

Lemonheads

So far, Ive only seen one or two on the board, and they are usually White bodied with Lemon colored heads.

So now here are some questions:

Are they rare?

Are they limited to only a few types of fancies?

How come the only other time I have seen Lemon coloring has been on commons?

Does the Lemon color usually "appear" later or could you tell early on that you had a lemon head?

Is a goldie only a lemon head if it has a SOLID yellow head?

I think that is all I have so far. :)

Oh, and if you have a lemon head, what do you feed them to maintain their coloring? anything special?

Ranchugirl has a beautiful lemon head.

Yes - a white fish with a yellow wen is considered to be a lemon head. To have a wen, the fish is a ranchu, lionhead, oranda or crown pearlscale. Many lemon heads develop - they may be all white when young, and develop a yellow head. Many also go on to develop yellow or orange on other parts of their bodies.

A lemon or yellow headed fish is not horribly uncommon, but they are certainly not dime a dozen.

:)

I have seen many blue orandas and panda orandas turn into lemonheads! I hope my blue one does!

I am a big fan of the lemonhead oranda as many members know. They are not common at all where I live and are rare. But I do think it is not that way all over.

About 3 months ago I found a tank of pandas that a couple had yellow heads, and knew that they were going to be lemonheads. I rescued one (as they had anchorworm) and brought my new little addition home. As he began to lose his black more of the yellow started to come, only a slight "tangerine" color emerged as well.

Andrea has been teaching me that if a panda has yellow and even the slightest of orange anywhere on the body, it will most likely not be a true lemonhead.

But Carol is right she does have a gorgeous one!!!

I have one, and you will not believe how hard it is to find one, its so cute!! :heart

:rolleyes: My daughter had the cutest little Lemonhead that she had bought as a Panda.She ended up giving her to someone not too long ago,because she was having tank issues,and wanted to downsize her fish count.She didn't ask me if I wanted it though...she thinks I allready have enough. :rolleyes: (Okay,she's right,but man I would have taken it in a Heartbeat-I have loved Lemonheads since the first time that I saw Milo's. :heart

I don't have one.

It's funny though, because a year or two ago, everyone wanted blue or chocolates, and now all I hear about is lemonheads LOL!

I used to see lemon heads all over the place, but it's like anything else, as soon as you decide to get one, you never see them =oP

:heart Jessica

aww thats alot of interesting things! where are all the photos of these cuties?!?

I don't have one.

It's funny though, because a year or two ago, everyone wanted blue or chocolates, and now all I hear about is lemonheads LOL!

I used to see lemon heads all over the place, but it's like anything else, as soon as you decide to get one, you never see them =oP

:heart Jessica

452267[/snapback]

Oh I love them,but I'd still take a Black/Blue,or Choco first-Anyday! :lol:

My panda's turning lemonhead, with splodges of orange about him.. :D not a true lemon, but still lemony!

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x

oooh! that sounds really pretty!!!!

i think they must be rare i havent seen any in my petstores

One of Spud's siblings is a yellow-headed fantail..... how weird is that?!

Really Errika??? How awesome, must've been the milkman????

:D Well now we want to see a pic of Spud's kin Erika. :lol:

Yep, here she is...actually Laurie, you named her. Here's Spoonie!

2006_0102Image0006.jpg

2006_0102Image0004.jpg

:blink: Spoonie??.....Well Spoonie's cute! :lol:

I saw a whole lot of them at an LFS a few months ago...there were about 8 5" fish going for about $40. Only about half were real lemonheads though. The other half had pure white wens. It was really interesting to see all the different color eyes too...red, orange, silver, blue. They are beautiful fish.

Well, how about this for a lemonhead? My hubby actually picked that one out from a store. He has a good eye, considering I wasn't even with him. The darling is all white, and has a red ring around his eyes... :heart

post-6-1136854494_thumb.jpg

That little sweetie won Pic of the Week, did she? Such a beauty! :heart

I'd love for Jon to pick a fish out for me.... it'd be worth it to see what he comes home with! :lol:

Gosh, what a memory you got! That was in 2004! :thud

Jeez, was it?! I guess it's just one of those pictures that just "sticks" ya know?

I have a pure metallic white (almost looks like an opal stone the way the colous shine) lionhead, and his head is kinda yellowish pink, but not the nice bright yellow like some ive seen! I REALLLY would love a bright yellow wen tho!!! I think that is one of my favorite goldy colorings.

i went to lfs the other day, and i saw several of them in the tanks!! the first time EVER, afew had pink eyes as well. I wanted to take them all home, but alas, i could not!!!