Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
monkeyknukles

Has Anyone Made Thier Own Coral Pieces

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone made their own coral pieces I found this http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/t_miller_052498.html

since rocks are so much around here i thought i might give it a try but wanted to see if anyone might have tried it and had good luck.coral here goes for about $6.99 us a pound

that is not even the good stuff any info would help thanks I'll post a pic of my 42 pound $300 rock in a bit

would it not be easyer to buy a cheap poraous rock ? and if you want a certain shape put smaller bits to gether with silicone once the algae grows on it it will look like one piece ?

i take it that the piece we are talking about is the bottom right yes ?

yep bottom right 42lbs dont look that heavy,was thinking about braking into smaller pieces but im gonna leave it alone for now ( the date in pic is wrong batteries went dead and didnt set date and time on camera)

it does look great i'm imagining it will look stunning when the coralline algae grows on it

See if you can find a pet store that carries "dead rock" and that will probably be much cheaper than live rock. Then you can just cure it and make it live yourself! When I worked at the store we got live rock from all over, and a lot of pieces look just like that one you posted, and we also got really pretty branching pieces. Essentially they are pieces of dead coral, but they look really great. I have a few small dead corals in my tank too and I like the way they look.

most of the stores around do carry dead coral still just looking into other ways to make decor found some for $1.99 a lb but not very porus

Sometimes it just takes patience in finding the right pieces. The way they look depends on where in the world they come from. At our store I would buy live rock when we got nice Fiji rock in, but I didnt really care for the way the Caribbean rock looked. It just depends. Good luck in finding some nice pieces. You could try looking online too. I have found some nice pieces on Ebay, and if they are porous shipping shouldnt be too much.

Thats a really neat piece! We used to sell resin replicas of those at the store. We kept it overturned like a cave and it worked as a nice hiding place for stressed fish.

I think there is a growing market for this....but I still like the surprizes you get on Live Rock for the ocean....the hitch hikers can be quite varied.... :)