Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sorsha

One Single Little Baby

About 2-3 weeks ago I had taken all of the plants out of my main tank in order to put down Flourite and so I put all the Goldies in my 10 gal tank and I went and washed the plants off really well.

After about 15 hours of srubbing, replanting and waiting for the substrate to settle, I added only my amazons and one wisteria to the tank, then added the smaller the fish. The last to go in was my goldies.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a baby fish in the 10 gal tank along with several baby snails. So, noting my success with Baby minnows and the lack of anything more than breeding motions for my goldies, I naturally assumed my new see through friend was a baby minnow.

However, this past weekend I spent some serious time studying him, when to my surprise I notice a butterfly tail. Well, I thought, oh now, hes a deformed fishy!! but nooo.... not only does he have a butterfly tail, his head also is not shaped like the minnows. His head is rather broad and the nose is relatively flat and not pointed at all.

SO, all indicators now point to a little baby goldie!

After all these months of waiting I think I finally have one!

Here is a photo, and just so you know HOW small he is, the size of the snail that he is next to is about the same size as the silver point on a ball point pen!

Let me know if you guys think from the description he is a goldie!

Should be interesting to see how he turns out since my female is a Calico Fantail and my males are all Orandas: Red/Black; Lemon/Blue

Sorry they are rather blurry... ill have to read my camera manual and try to take better shots :-\

BabyGoldie.jpg

babytiny2.jpg

tinybaby.jpg

More photos, even though these arent TOO great either...

Baby3.jpg

baby4.jpg

babyback.jpg

BabyClearer.jpg

babyup.jpg

awww, :( no interest. *tears* but today i cleaned up his/her tank. Spent some more time staring, and i can see a single fin under the tail and he/she appears rather metallic.

I'm definitely interested!! I've been waiting for an answer to your question also. My fry are about 10 or 11 days old and do look quite a bit like that. But I'm certainly no expert!! Hope someone answers you soon!

looks like a goldfish fry......maybe a month or so old.....I will try to find a pic of my frys from last year so we can compare :)

found some......

a191.jpg

69e8.jpg

These were taken 1 and half months after hatching...

Yep that would be a baby Fry hun :D

Congrats on the new babies!!! How exciting. Boy there are fry everywhere right now. Good luck with them. What type are they?

YAY!!! Ive got a little baby!!! He looks EXACTLY like that!!! You really think he is THAT old?!?! I have NO idea how he made it at all then!!! He really is a little miracle baby!!! He is still clear though... so I guess that makes him younger?

*claps* Im so excited!

Congrats on your miracle baby!Lookin at your pics again,I think he is at least a month old judging from his tummy.....but I could be wrong :D

After reading these posts I got so excited I went ahead and took a bunch more photos!!!

This is mommy:

She is my calico Fantail, and ive had her for probably almost 2 years now. She is my only female

Mommy.jpg

There are 3 males that could have done it, my blue/lemon is the oldest, and the most interested, however my black/red was really persistent. My moor only was interested once in awhile and is still very young.

daddy.jpg

Daddy2.jpg

But, Here is BABY!!!!

This is the clearest photo of the bunch:

clearbaby.jpg

babycabomba.jpg

baby2.jpg

Wow, how exciting!! Its so adorable! :heart

:lol: Well how cute is that!!!!! Truly amazing that he made it all this way,through water changes and everything else.Must be one tough little Bugger! :lol: Congrats!

Cute, cute! Congrats, haven't seen this thread until now!

you will have fun watching the fry grow up and change colors...and get fat fat fat...congrats on :newfish

THANKS! Im not sure what he has been eating in there though, He is in there with snails since i read somewhere that is good, some sort of food they provide? And i see him nibble on things, but Im not sure what, ive made sure there is a good amount of green algae in there with him, as well as ALOT of plants, I tried putting in a tiny amount of frozen brine shrimp in there, but he looked at it and swam along. If i understand correctly, the eggs are better because the movement of the brine will cause the baby to feed. But, should i go out and buy the eggs and hatch only one or two at a time since I only have the one baby?

Any advice guys?

how big is the tank you have the baby in...

I think that you should hatch them and just put a little in at a time several times a day

he is in a 10gal, but i mean, how many can he eat at one time??? I dont want to cloud up the water. I know that by feeding them the brine they will grow faster and healthier, but they will only last afew hours in fresh water.

I bought the "Fancy Goldfish, a complete guide to care and collecting" which i recommend to EVERYONE. so, it has directions on how to hatch them. and see it says:

"In general, a TEASPOON of brine shrimp eggs will be sufficient for about 500 fry at three to four weeks of age. The fry should be fed as frequently as possible, ideally with fresh brine shrimp every four hours."

SO, i think my main concern, is how much will only ONE baby eat?!?!

I want to have to siphone as little as possible so i dont stress him out.

:-\

What a cool thing to discover-a little survivor! I know nothing about goldfish fry, but it sure it CUTE! Congrats. Good luck with your little one and all your other fish, which by the way, are drop-dead gorgeous!

WOW, that is pretty cool :happydance

Im not sure how much he would eat, but being a goldfish i think he'd take down any ammount you put in there!

I went ahead and bought some brine shrimp eggs today, so i should be hatching them tomorrow and we shall see how he does! So far, I have caught him munching on the tiny baby snails and the algae that is growing in there.

Ill have to take more photos this week! It seems like he is changing SO fast. Right now his back area is like a green blue. but his fins are turning like a blue black.

im such a proud mommy!

I hatched the lil eggs, and in of all things a little betta bowl with an air stone LOL. but since ive just got the one, i went ahead and cut everything in half, i did 1/2 qt of water, 1 tblsp salt,, 1/2 tsp of eggs, and prolly a little less since i didnt make it smooth.

But, so far so good, i use a little water dropper to suck up the shrimps since they are SO tiny and the lil baby has already started learning to look for the dropper since it means new food!!

Here are some photos of it enjoying lunch:

baby1-4_2.jpg

baby1-4_3.jpg

Baby1-4.jpg

lol yea! thats exactly how i was describing it to one of my friends:

*swim swim* *food food* YUM!

He is already showing his tiny tiny metallic scales, so now i cant see his inner workings lol. and his tail is getting tinges of color, so far its a dark colour, a little to small yet for me to see exactly and his scales are a whitish grey colour :-D

Cuuuuuuuute! :D Does he have a name? :)