Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coyote ugly

I Have Fry Again!

Oooohhhh it's great to be back :D

My black moor and white telescope spawned and tons of eggs were layed on the 16th .It was a total surprise.....I didn't have any plants in there so the eggs stuck at the bottom.As soon as I noticed the eggs,I immediately added a couple of plants and collected the eggs.....after 2 days,they hatched :yeah: on the 21st(my birthday!yay!)almost all of the frys were free swimming.So far,I have counted about 40 frys but some have severe deformities :(

I was thinking of culling the ones that have very bad shapes....some are curved like the letter C and some like an S.I can't help feeling sorry when I see them struggle swimming...should I cull or just let nature take it's course? :unsure: I am very confused!!! :(

First off....CONGRATS on the new additions!!

Secondly, I have NO experience when it comes to breeding.....but, if they are in a shape that will compromise their quality of life in a real negative way, maybe you should cull them....but that is just my opinion.

Glad to see you back!!

thanks.... :D

last year,when I had frys,I didn't have to cull since I didn't have very bad deformities....but this time it's too obvious that they have trouble swimming and just flow around the tank....I can't really tell if they are in pain but it seems that they would be stressed to just keep flowing around :cry1

I would cull them if they are definitely having a lot of trouble moving around. More likely than not, they will probably die eventually, but its up to you. Im facing that problem myself with some of my own.

:) Hi Cathy,Welcome back! Congrats on the fry. Culling is the hard part of the whole breeding thing,but I think in the end,you lesson their time with pain/problems. Those fish,if they even live,don't seem to live very long,and by then you are even more attached which makes it more difficult to see. :( Good luck with the babies!

Thanks!It's great to be back :D

I thought about letting them be as I know they would die eventually but I also thought what if a few survived?Would it be humane to let them live with such deformities?Confusing..... :(

Maybe I should consider culling as I don't want them to suffer any longer....what is the best way to put them down? :unsure:

I prefer the clove oil method as it seems to be the kindest. You mix the oil and water in a separate container and shake it until it is somewhat mixed and then add it slowly to the container the fish are in. I had to do it to two of my favorite fish this summer and the smell of clove oil still makes me gag. :cry1

As far as letting them live with the deformities, I have kept some feeder fish with deformities and they did not have very long lives. I lost one suddenly a few months back, who was about a year and a half. He had a crooked back and tail and his mouth didnt work properly. I always thought it probably would have just been kinder if he had been culled early on. Its never an easy decision, though.

When you get the chance, please post pics of the babies! I have shubunkin fry right now but have no idea what fancies or telescope fry would look like! I can only imagine they are adorable!

Congratulations Cathy! It's great to hear you have some more fry. Best of luck with them.

I have never had to deal with culling but here is my :twocents worth, it is only one opinion, take it or leave it as you will.

I think that all life is precious and even if a fish has a short life, it is a life nevertheless. Basically, if a fish can swim and eat it can survive. I do believe in euthanising in cases where fish are doomed to suffer and die without experiencing any quality of life.

Some of the fry you mention can't swim and I wonder if they will get enough to eat or slowly starve. Perhaps it would be kinder to ethanise these fish? It's your decision.

A few pics....

eggs :)

004.jpg

one day after hatching...

200512191728000.jpg

10 days old....

118-1805_AUT.jpg

118-1802_AUT.jpg

I tried taking pics of the deformed frys but couldn't get a good shot as they go flowing around the tank.....I noticed some that keep spinning while swimming and can't swim straight :( I maybe culling the worst ones tomorow :cry1 thanks for all the advice.I appreciate it....

Hi Cathy. So glad your back!

Congratulations on your fry :) If it were me I would probably just cull the very worst ones, such as the ones spinning in circles. That's a hard choice to make :crp

Love is in there air I say, these goldfish are just having to much fun around xmas and new years :D

:yeah: definitely love is in the air!!!!They spawned again today and I have another batch of eggs :D

I will be putting down the very worst ones today....a bit sad but I guess it's the best for them...wish me luck!

Wow!! Your pics are great!! I didn't even attempt pics 1 day out as I could barely see them with my own eyes! Yours look bigger than mine did at one day. Maybe because they are different types of goldfish?

Anyway, congrats on the new eggs too!! You could start our own fish store if they keep this up!! :heart

Thanks.....I have tons of eggs lying on the bottom of the tank now but I no longer have room for them......I may just leave them there for the parents to eat :(

Well,I did it.....I put down the ones that had very crooked bodies....I think there were about 10 :( poor babies....may they rest in peace :cry1

Awww.......may they rest in peace.

:heart

Oh, sorry, didn't see this post, :cry1 well it's better be done while they are tiny.

Good luck with the rest of the fry!

Poor luvs, but I think it is for the best.

(great photos btw)

Edited by Fishmerised

RIP little fry. They are up in fry heaven with my little fry swimming around and having a good ole time. :heart

Thanks :hug I hope I did the right thing....I checked their tummy and there was no trace of food in there.I still have some that looks like they are not eating but swims just fine.I hope they make it.I already see size difference too....some have gotten so big and darker in color.Parents were spawning again today and I have a tank bottom full of eggs :o

these are the parents :) the ones I got with very bad ich!

117-1762_AUT.jpg

mommy is the lemonhead :D

Edited by coyote ugly

congrats...I hope my telescopes breed when I put them in a tank by themselves

So good to have you back, Cathy!! And happy belated birthday to you! :happydance

Sometimes culling is the only thing that can be done, and see it that way - now the healthy fry have more space to grow and swim. It wouldn't be fair to them to cut down their space with other fry that are doomed in life because of their deformities. Some deformities are quite liveable for the fish, but it was good that you took out at least the worst looking ones with the last chance of a quality in life... :hug

hey Cathy great news on your fry! sorry I did not see this earlier.

culling is hard, so far I have not had to do it so I can only empathesise. I am sure you made the right descision.

Let us know how it goes and MORE PICS!!!! as they grow :)