Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amy

Weird Fish Store

There was a new fish store that opened recently and today we were walking through the mall in which that fish store was in. To my surprise, my DAD (not I) suggested that we go to this new fish store and get some fishes. He's a sucker for fishes with big bellies. lol. Anyways we went and they had a HUGE goldfish selection...I saw jumo ranchus about 10" and I think i was nearly ready to grovel to get one but I personally love buying babies and raising them...I just think it's more rewarding that way.

I saw a fantail that I wanted and we told one of the workers that we wanted to get a fish and much to my surprise they just gave us the net. Apprently with this store, you get to scoop up the fish you want. Sound like a good idea? No. I was watching a kid next to me just scoop them up and toss them back in cuz they werent "fat" enough. It was horrible. I picked up the fan tail i had my eyes set on and when I put him in the water bucket they provided, i saw scales on the net. I looked at the fan tail and I saw that his scales were coming off but he wasn't pineconing or showing signs of dropsy. In fact, most of the fishes had missing scales. I think it was because of this "self serve" thing. It was just a weird experience overall. I've never seen any store let you do this before...usually the workers are the ones that pick the fish up for you so you don't go crushing the other fishes and killing them. *sigh*

I selected another fantail and was about to leave when I saw a red cap floating vertically. He also has a fungal infection i think because i see white fuzzy dots on his "red cap" ... either that or it's ick. I told myself I wasn't going to get him but when I saw that nasty kid scoop him up and was ready to toss him back in, I literally grabbed the net out of his hand (with the fish in it) and put the fish gently in my water bucket. His mom was watching and thought I was rude =-\ I couldn't helpt it, I knew somehow that the toss back would be fatal to the oranda :( So now this oranda's my first rescue. I'm not too sure how I feel about it. I'll take pics of him and hopefully someone can tell me what he has so I can cure him. He does swim around but he isnt very active. Do you think a salt bath would help? I'll go get photos of him.

IMG_3788.jpg

yes that orange thing on the bottom is one of his scales :(

Edited by Amy

That sucks :unsure:

I would be the first to walk up to the manager and tell him what for...at least if I was cautious about a scene, call and let them have it. Give them the particulars and the diseases you saw. I would have walked out without buying anything..letting them know I came fully prepared to spend money.

I am not one to buy because I feel sorry for a fish. That just gives the pet shop no reason to do anything about the conditions. If people refused to buy and let the management know why, loss of money talks.

Plus, letting them know all the handling can introduce all kinds of stuff to the tanks, killing the fish..another loss of money and poor fishies.......yuck :cry1

Oh, gosh...that is so horrible. I wonder what kind of person could actually let kids pick up their own fish. I mean, do they want to kill their own stock and lose money as well and be an example for an animal abuse shop? I seriously think you should give management a call, and if that goes nowhere, climb the chain. I'm pretty persistant when it comes to harmless animals being treated badly. At the least, try to persuade them to train and have their own employees handle the fish. I agree with Persimmon...point out that having others taking their own fish out can and will introduce bacteria and toxins into the water possibly killing their stock. That might make them want to change something at least.

Good luck!

Aww poor lil fishies :( I'd have a talk with the manager as well. Your new little guy is very cute, I hope you can get him better :)

They can't all be perfect. Your new fish is really pretty, I hope he gets better! :heart I would suggest that little kids (maybe 15 and under) should have a "practice run" with a net and fake fish and if they're too violent the employee gets the fish out. Or if the kid passes and starts being rough. Otherwise, that sounds like a neat store. I'd rather get the fish I want instead of a sick fish that the worker got.

Good luck with you're new fishy!!!

That oranda isn't looking hot at all. He's vertical again as I saw him in the pet store. His nose is touching the bottom of the bucket I have him in and he's not doing much else :(

I tried to talk to the workers..they didnt give two cents. I talked to the manager which was as high up as I could go and he said he's opened this store in another location and has never had problems with customers killing his stock (in other words he thinks I'm paranoid). He didn't believe me about the loss of scales or ick either. I even pointed at scales floating around the tank and at the bottom and missing patches on the fishes but he says "they're molting"

Uh, last I checked, fish don't "molt". Sounds like he's lying out his rear-end and doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Coulnd't agree with you more but I dont think there's anything else I could have done about it. I'm a bit stressed out with this oranda >_<

The oranda looks like a nice fish, too bad he's having some issues. Is it possible that the specks on the wen are the beginings of growth? I suppose it's more likely to be something else though. I'd post in the ER/Disease section if you haven't. Best of luck with him; I hope he pulls through for you... poor little guy.

BTW: any chance of fantail pictures?

"I tried to talk to the workers..they didnt give two cents."

"He didn't believe me about the loss of scales or ick either. I even pointed at scales floating around the tank and at the bottom and missing patches on the fishes but he says "they're molting""

Are you sure there isn't someone higher up you could write too? Glad you tried to talk to them; they should have at least taken what you were saying into consideration instead of denying it and making things up to cover any problems up.

Edited by Roano

Oh gosh, thanks Roano. Hadn't thought about posting on the Diagonsis area... I just did that.

I've been occupied with the oranda as well as with the bustle of the holidays but I'll get photos of the fantail up soon. We decided to call him Joogie!

Because that pet store was actually two cities away from mine, I wasn't sure how things ran there. I didnt even know how to contact anyone higher up than that manager.

Molting?!?!?! :thud

I think the strange floating may have to do with stress. I was once bringing home a fish from school and it was a long walk, and she started to do that about 1/2 way there. She stopped once she was settled in. I'm sure there are other causes, but he's probably stressed anyway. Try turning off the lights and draping a towel over the tank; darkness alms them.

I had him in the dark since i bought him home. Today I put him in the 10G spare and turned the lights on and he started to try to swim -- he still flops around. It looks like his head is too heavy or something because he keeps tilting down >_<

Molting?! He did know you were talking about fish, not birds, right? That's ridiculous!! :angry:

Molting!!!! Why cant some fisheries be more, picky about who they hire, expecially manage! I really hope that oranda gets better, my my, what a beauty he is!

I go to a great fish place here in Manhattan. They let me get my own fish once, I think because theyre were busy. I have never seen children in the store. Its kind of a secret place I think. It was neat getting my own fish, but then again, I know what Im doing!! :huh:

:rofl Oi! Molting my dragon hide!

Evil petshop ninny!

Maybe a print out of reply's and mailing it to the evil petshop ninny might get his head out of the clouds *cough* . They really need to get a clue! <_<

Hi Amy.

That looks like wen growth to me. Sometimes in a dirty tank, or even a clean one, debris will get kicked up and caught in the wen. Then you get those white tufts growing there.

I would not medicate if the white tufts are just in the wen. Can you see white dots anywhere else on the fish?

What are the water parameteres in your tank? What is your pH. It could be this fish came from a certain pH and then was dumped into the tank water at the pet store with a different pH. Some fish are more sensitive than others.

Also high nitrites will cause some fish to stand like that. I had one fish that even with the slightest amount of nitrite would start standing.

Check your parameters at home, and make sure they are perfect. Then I would add some salt. I would add one tablespoon per 5 gallons. Use aquarium salt or coarse salt with no additives. You can buy a big bag of course salt at the grocery store for next to nothing. Dissolve the salt in a pail of tank water and then slowly pour it in.

If you have snails or sensitive scaleless fish in there, I would remove them. I have weather loaches, and they don't mind the salt at all, even though I've heard it will kill them. I've had them for years and added a lot of salt over that time ;o)

In 12 hours, add another tablespoon per 5 gallons the same way you did the first. And see if your fish looks any better. If he doesn't I'd add another tablespoon per 5 gallons in another 12 hours, bringing it up to 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons in total.

Presoak his pellets or feed shelled peas for a couple of days and see if that helps his weird floatieness.

Good luck

Oh and about missing scales, it sounds like they were pulled off in nets, or if the fish are swimming around quickly to avoid a net they could bump themselves on the glass or other fish and loose scales. I would not worry about a few missing scales. They will grow back, but they take quite a long time to come back.

Jessica

:( I have never seen a self-service fish store, and its crazy to even assume that this would be a good idea. The owner probably thinks this is cost effective, but I'm sure he will find out differently in the long run. Too bad fish will end up sick or dead over this practice. :cry1

I hope you red cap pulls through. :)

I'm often unhappy with how ruff pet store employees are when netting my fish.

I would like to net them myself. But as ruff as some pet store employees are. I guess their still better than having a bunch of people who never netted a fish in their life chase a fish with a net.

Thanks for the response (especially to JessicaandMarshall). I started a help thread in the diagnosis forum here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...opic=39856&st=0

The oranda is doing slightly better today..but not by much. I did not know about the wen till Laurie and touchofsky told me about it. I'm so relieved they did because I was going to drug the poor fish with medication he did not need. Thanks for all the tip and the reassurance on the scales too. I just found it odd that they came off so easily.

Wow.. self service fish store... and to think, at mmm we BAN people when they try to net their own fish.... (one lady came in 3 TIMES and tried to net her own fish! We started locking the nets in the store room!)