Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Esareh

I Have A Question About Stunting...

Guest Esareh

Well, I have 4 fish in my 29 gallon tank, (tank problems, see my other post) one of them (Pandee) is stunted. He has been 1 inch in lenght since I bought him from the pet store, he hasnt grown at all. So, I was wondering, since pandee is stunted, does that mean the other 3 are going to grow as usual? just curious...

How old is Pandee? How long since you got him from the store?

One of my fish I got from a petstore took awhile to grow too; sometimes you have to be quite patient.

If Pandee was stunted before you moved him into the tank, I would think the other fish should grow normally.

Edited by Roano

A tremendous amount of the answer to this question revolves around information you do not have. If Pandee was not given the care (water, feeding, etc.) that he needed from a very early age, it is possible that he is "stunted" from that. It is possible that he is a year or more of age - in which case he has past his "fast growing stage" and has entered into a stage of very slow growth. If Pandee suffered very bad water for any length of time, it is possible that he has been injured to the degree that he may never grow much more.

A lot depends on the genetic makeup of the fish, also. The goldfish is replete with genetic combinations that can be detrimental to overall growth or heartiness. Some fish never grow really large, or are really hearty, for their genetic code is just not quite up to the job. No matter how good of water or food they are given, they cannot overcome the genetic makeup they entered life with, and can only grow and live in the way dictated by the genes.

The other three fish, if you are giving them the best that you can, will grow to the potential that their bodies allow. You, also, probably do not know their histories, either. So much depends on the quality of care they received before coming to you.

4 fish in a 29 gallon is a stretch, but it mostly means that you are the one stretching. It is not impossible to keep that tank well - it just means a whole lot more work for you. With care, your tank and your keeping should not stunt your fish any further. Anything they are dealing with is most likely as a result of genetic makeup or previous care.

:)

Guest Esareh

I've had him almost a year. It'll be a year this june. I know it's a strech, but acutally, I dont really have a choice at the moment, Im so darn clumsy! >_<

Right now I have 3 little fish in a 20 gallon tub, i got them in September and they grow slowly but they are still growing...luckily though I'm going to be getting a 29 gallon soon.

Maybe he will grow, he may just grow slower than the others?

If your tank is cycled, you can try changing 20-25% of the water every couple of days, just scoop it out and add fresh de-chlorinated temperature matched water. You would not believe how fast some of my fish have grown within months by doing that ;)

You have to be careful NOT to upset the cycle in your tank. I don't gravel vac when I'm just changing the water, I only do that once a week. And you have to make sure the water is matched so you don't stress out your fish.

Also if you are changing that much water, you can feed them more which quickens growth as well.

Again don't feed them any more than usual unless you are planning on doing a lot of water changes and your weekly gravel vac or you're going to crash your tank. Feeding more often is better than feeding one or two meals anyway, that way your fish are less likely to get floatie from over eating.

Also last time I did this, my fish spawned heehee =o)

Jessica

OH quick side note on how this works:

Goldfish release a growth inhibiting hormone into the water. With 4 fish in a 29 the hormone builds up and slows down the growth. It can slow down growth dramatically, especially if you are not doing your weekly water change.

By changing the water more often, you are removing the hormone which leaves your fish free to grow.

Jessica