Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

What Is This In My Tank?

Okay update me on the water changes like the timing you do hun, also how much and how often you feed them, Are you turning on the light and how long? What are you feeding them? Anything added to the water change?

Lets see what we can do sorry I havent been here just some crazy stuff going on in my life :D

That's quite alright, Koko!! I know your back has been bothering you and you were back to work this past week.

I've been doing daily water changes (30-50%) as I've been getting ammonia readings of 0.25-1.0. I then double dose Prime to help detox any ammonia that builds up.

I'm feeding them Hikari First Bites and Baby Brine Shrimp--each of those twice a day for a total of 4 feedings per day. I'm not sure exactly how much I feed them. When I give them the brine shrimp for example, I thaw it in a little cup of tank water then use one of my kid's baby spoons (my kids don't use them anymore and I thought they were a good size) to add the food. I usually add 2 spoonsful. I know that really tells you nothing because you don't know how much tank water I take out or just how big those baby spoons are. Hmmmm what's a better way to describe how much?

I turn the lights on when I feed them--usually about a half hour before I feed them actually then leave them on for an hour or two. So the light is on for a total of maybe 8 hours?

I have 4 fry now although one or two of them are not looking good at all and will probably pass on this week. One of the other one's is my BIG one and he looks good except he darts around the tank a lot. The last time I scoped I didn't find any chilo in there but I may be missing it. Could be darting from the ammonia I suppose? Nitrites are always 0. Nitrates stay very low with all the water changes--usually around 5. The other fry is little like the 2 that seem to be dying. But he looks pretty good despite his small size.

Good to see you back!

sounds like your doing everything right hun, the only thing that has buged be from the beginning as you know is that you cant get water from the parents tank and I think this might be the problem with them...

Now since they are older you can leave the light on them for 8 hours straight all day, it would be easier on them now...

This is just a suggestion but you might want to not do a water change for one day and just use prime for that day and see what happens???

wow... so i have completely missed this thread until today... it's like reading the script to a soap opera!! such excitement, anticipation, and agony!! i hope your remaining fry do well though!! :heart

Toothless and I "discussed" the water issue. I don't know how big of a deal it is to use dechlor tap water (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all 0) vs. tank water. As far as I know just a tiny tiny tiny number of biobugs (if any?) are free floating. Is there another advantage to using tank water? I think the much bigger issue has been the parasites.

Is there anything else I should/could feed them? Especially the bigger one?

And, yes Tinkokeshi, this has been quite dramatic for me too!! Lots of fun and lots of heartache. But worth every minute . . . .

I'm chomping my nails! How's it going with the babies? :))

Well unfortunately, I'm down to just 2 fry now--the big one and one of the smaller ones. The big one still looks good. The smaller one looks OK but is just sooo small. I really have not noticed him getting any bigger for quite some time.

We'll see how it goes . . . .

This is just a suggestion but you might want to not do a water change for one day and just use prime for that day and see what happens???

462921[/snapback]

I always have some sort of ammonia reading. I jsut tested and it's 0.5. Would I be safe skipping the water change with ammonia readings that high?

How are we doing today hun??

Oh, Koko!!

I have been so pr-occupied with the parasite infested parents that are now dealing with internal bacterial infections (we think) and are not eating . .. . . :ill

The fry are doing OK. The big one we've been calling Bubba and the little one Squirt. Squirt is sooooo little but he jsut keeps on eating and swimming . . . and staying small. Bubba is getting quite big. Will try and post pics again soon but so busy with mom and pop!

Thanks for asking! :)

Hey dont worry hun, as long as they are eating and doing good dont worry about size, my konigin is way bigger than the second patch at that age, so sometimes you get biggens and others smaller....

:D your doing good hun :D

The only thing I'm worried about is if Bubba gets much bigger he may eat the other one!! Seriously, the little one isn't much bigger than it was a few weeks ago. :unsure:

I can see Bubba is getting bigger but Squirt is just so little. And well if he's just gonna be a little fish then great. I just hope nothing's wrong!

Awww..Man...I Miss This thread..Ur baby r sooo Cute..aww..Man..Hope One Day my goldfish can have some lilo rug-rat swimming around..hehe..*wink*

My fry are 8 weeks old today.

Here's Squirt:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/grgt.../P2043138-1.jpg

Here's Bubba:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/grgt.../P2043138-1.jpg

When can I feed Bubba something other than Fry Bites and Baby Brine Shrimp? Could I try some crushed pellets or flakes? Those fry bites are so small for him.

I'm having a hard time keeping the ammonia down in their tank. It rises to 1.0 every 24 hours. The nitrites are alway 0 and the nitrates stay at 5. I keep doing 30% water changes daily to get the ammonia down. Shouldn't it be cycling by now? I have a sponge filter in there and some cylinders from another cycled tank.

Any ideas?

hehe your pictures for both of your babies are the same. :D