Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

What Is This In My Tank?

This morning I see 10 little babies--8 of them on the floor of the tank, 2 of them on the wall. They are sooooo little!! :)

I'm going to see what I can find for food for them now. :rolleyes:

Good morning Sunshine :D

Well this is good hun more babies made it through the first step.....

Okay the foods I would suggest finding..........

1.HIKARI FIRST BITES

http://cgi.ebay.com/AHK20095-FISH-FOOD-HIK...1QQcmdZViewItem

2. Hikari Baby Brimp shrimp

This stuff worked wonders for me.....

Remember dont feed them right now they are feeding off a yoke sac and any food you place in there would just spoil the tank water. :D

post-1-1134929434_thumb.jpg

:D Woo-Hoo babies!!! Spring seems to be in the air a little early! :lol: Congrats!

Ok, I'm back from the lps and guess what? They had BOTH Hikari Baby Brine Shrimp and First Bites!! :nana

I didn't see them at first but the girl working there is like "Oh yeah, we have both of those. Let me show ya."

Woo-hoo!! So jsut let me know when I can feed the lil things. :D

I think I'm more excited about this than our new 90 gallon tank!! :lol:

Congrats! Raising fry is so exciting!

Just took another count. I counted 14 :o this time!!

Wow! :D

YEAH this is so cool.....Right now I would just enjoy them :D

I will certainly not feed them until you give me the OK, koko. But about when will I start feeding them? 1 week, 2weeks . . . ? My 4 year old daughter is soooo excited about all of this and went with me to get the food. She was telling everyone in the store that we have baby fish and they are very delicate. She wants to feed them but I told her we can't until their "doctor" ;) says it's OK.

And we are enjoying them--lots of fun. They seem to be moving a bit more today.

What you going to look for is when you see them swim verticle right now they dont move much and they should be kinda clinging to things like a magnet....

Once they start to swim in the middle or away from the walls we should be good....

Now when you feed its going to seem so small but the less and more feedings the better you are. When I feed I would do it 4 times a day for the first week, then to 3 times after that.. The food would be as big as diping your finger in the food and then dust it off so that all you see is a fine mist of food on the finger. Same thing for the brime shrimp just a shaving will do....Now for the lights keep them off for the first week they cant see to well and the lights will be blinding...

As for water changes you cant do any for the first 3 weeks so be careful of how much food you feed to them cause you can get it out of there....

So at what point can I run a filter? Obviously no time soon as they are waaay too small. But do I need to get a tank cycled for them or how does all that work?

Okay what I did is used water from the main tank, then later about 3 weeks old did a water change with the main tank to the fry tank. This way the tank gets good water that is cylced.

Filter I only run mine for about 5 mins a day enough to get the scum off the serface.....They arent strong enough for filters till about 2 months old so its an on and off thing....

Fantail I just wanted to wish you luck, this thread is so exciting!!!! You are in the best of hands, can't wait to see the babies. I am so happy for you.

Oh I am so THRILLED!!

Congrats, again! This is my fav thread, now! :heart

Oh and mine is ToFu :cry

Man JK

Thanks Laurie and chico!! This is my fav thread too! ;)

I must say it's more fun than treating parasites!

Koko,

I'm a bit concerned about using water from the main tank as I am dealing with parasites in there. Of course, this is the same water they were conceived in and living in now. And, with any luck, I'll be tearing down the main tank in the next couple of weeks, treating the parents :heart in a sterile tank while cycling their new 90 gallon tank.

Any thoughts? Or should we jsut cross that bridge when we get there?

Thanks again!! This is soooo fun! I'm on :9 . I feel as though :hoho has come early this year!

?

uh oh...did I write something wrong?

I was kiding hun, If you look down a few posts there is a long posting about my fish Pharoh's babies...... :D Just happened about a month ago....

humm with that tank having problems this might be a problem....What kind of paricites in there hun?

Oh noooooo......Koko......

Let me rephrase that statement:

Fantailfan1 - this is my favorite post - right behind Koko's post about Pharoh!!

:rofl

Koko - yours was the favorite first!

:exactly

Nice save there hun,Very nice :rofl3

That's right, chico. Let's keep it straight--the mods posts are always better than the rest of the fish in the sea!! :yeah:

I'm not exactly sure what parasite it is. I first started treating them mid October!! with toothy's help (and LaurieP got me started). I did a round of Parasite Clear. Didn't help. Then 2 rounds of Quick Cure along with salt dips. Still there.

So I got a scope last Friday (the same day as my eggs :heart ) and am trying to identify what I've got. Chico has offered to help and I PMed her about what I see. And I'm really hoping toothless gets back soon so he can guide me through the best treatment.

Since I'm getting the new tank (it's ordered--they said 3-5 weeks before it came in and it's been 3 1/2) and will treat them in a 10 gallon with whatever Paul tells me to do. I'm hoping that while I treat them the new tank will come in and I can get that cycling with BioSpira.

I do have a 20 gallon that I could cycle for the fry--or at least get it cycled so I could use the water in the little tank they are in now. It wouldn't hurt to have a cycled tank anyway in case the 90 doesn't show up when it's supposed to. I could keep mom and dad in there while the 90 cycles.

I'm assuming the fry will be OK in the 6 gallon eclipse for at least a couple months? :unsure:

This is quite a 3 ringed circus I've got going on, huh? If ya would have told me about all this 6 months ago, I wouldn't ahve believed it for a second!!

yeah, you wouldn't have thought this a while back huh?

It is great though, I am awaiting good news from here.

Okay I would do right now is start to cycle a small tank that way you can get the water from that tank hun. If for some reason you need some good juice I could cut a filter pad from my tank and send it to you in the mail that would help :D

Hmmmm, here's the problem. My empty 10 gallon I was planning on using for the treatment tank once we diagnose which parasite I ahve. I don't have a filter for it as I will be doing 100% daily water changes (most likely).

My empty 20 gallon is a 20gallon long that I was going to use my current Eclipse 3 hood on. The Eclipse 3 hood is on my 37 gallon main tank. I was planning on tearing that down, sterilizing it with potassium permanganate, and then cycling it if I needed it for my big fish once they are treated and the new tank isn't ready yet.

So I really don't have a filter for my 20 gallon long that is not currently being used. I think my husband will flip if I need to get another filter.

If all goes well, I will be able to get a diagnosis on the main tank this week and start treating ASAP. *crosses fingers that toothy is back SOON* I could order some BioSpira in the next couple days (they recommend overnight shipping) and get the 20 gallon cycling this weekend (assuming, of course, that we start treating mama and dada fish).

All this and the holidays too . . . :krazy:

Good luck, Fantail! This is so exciting!! :krazy: