Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WoodenCoyote

Bought A Weatherloach

Guest WoodenCoyote

I saw him in the pet store and just fell in love. He's the sweetest little thing you've ever seen. He's also a total spaz, and loves to zoom around the tank like his assets are catching. I named him Trogdor :heart

I don't have a picture of Trogdor at the moment, but here's what a weatherloach looks like:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/loach/weather_l.jpg

:D Congrats on your Loach! I have 6 of those guys and absolutely adore them. :heart How big/how stocked is your tank? Loaches really prefer to have a buddy if at all possible. Good luck with Trogdor!

I have a question, are these the same as dojos? I have wanted to get two but have read so many stories about them getting out that I have been hesitant about getting them. :o

They look so neat, Good Luck with your new guy. :heart

Yes, dojo is another name for weather loach.

They are absolutely adorable and I love the two the I have, but they are escape artists and you need to cover any holes in the tank lid.

Congratulations on your :newfish

Thanks for the info. :) What do you use to cover the holes and do you mean the areas around the filter and air hose tubing? How do you secure the material you use? Maybe I will be more secure in getting two if I know how to keep them from escaping. :exactly

:lol: I think that I have used just about everything to cover up the small holes that are cut out on the tank lids. I have taped across them/used corkboard and the plastic canvas sheets(found in Craft Stores) and cut them to size to use.I've done Cardboard/plastic Notebook sheets/anything that is firm enough to hold down.Occasionally the Cardboard may get damp from the spray of my filter's,but normally-it works rather well. :rolleyes::lol:

:) Thanks for the great info. I know what I'm doing this weekend! I think I will go to a craft store and buy some plastic mesh, the type made for weaving yarn into, and cut holes into it . I will cut one solid piece so I can fit it snugly around my filters, like a backwards cover. :bounce I think this should work out fine. You gave me the vision when you said you have used the plastic canvas sheets. Thanks!

Guest WoodenCoyote

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Well, Trogdor's living up to his name already. The weather part, that is. We're supposed to get a big storm tonight and he's spent the day either zooming around like a madman or buried to the neck in the gravel. The other fish don't seem to mind him, although my mom says he gives her the willies.

Glad he is doing well! Your mom will probably come to love him. The little whiskered faces really do grow on you :)

Good suggestions from Devs for plugging the holes. I use black electrical tape to secure some of the holes in the lids. The lids are black, so this doesn't show up. I have also used bits of filter floss to shove in around filters and the like.

Hes so cute Coyote! I cant seem to find any around here, been looking for months! :krazy:

Edited by glitterfish

I love loaches too, they are so funny. I did have three, one golden one and two brown ones. I only have one left, the other two disappeared. My tank doesn't have a lid as such, just drip trays, so they may well have 'walked out'. I want to get Slim a friend but am hanging out for a golden one again and the only LFS that stocks them at all hardly ever get the golden ones in.

I think loaches are like the Noel Cowards of this world, lounging in their fishy smoking jackets, hanging out on the plants before chasing all the goldies!

bw

cupoftea

Guest WoodenCoyote

I think my mom's getting used to Trogdor. She came in my room this morning and was looking for him in the tank (he was buried in gravel)

:lol: How could she not love the little guy!!!! They have the personalities of Goldies!My Golden Loaches are by far the tamer of the bunch.They'll try and swim thru my hand as I'm doing gravel vacs,or else come right up to the vac-which scares me cause I don't want to suck them up! :ignore They're like 2 year olds & always looking to get into something! :lol:

Well, congrats on your loach! We love them too and plan to get one just as soon as the tank is ready. They are totally mental and hilarious to watch. They sure are escape artists, though. My friend who runs the local aquarium centre (mostly open topped tanks) says that when he opens up in the mornings they are lying all over the floor! Horrible - makes you wonder why they don't confine them to a covered tank.....

Look forward to hearing about him some more......

uh yea! mine get so interested in the gravel vac.. they swim in so quickly when you are putting it onto the gravel and get their little wiskers in the way, Jam nearly lost a wisker to the syphon last week :o

Guest WoodenCoyote

Trogdor's doing great. He was sitting under the gravel yesterday with just his head sticking out. At night I can hear him swimming around, and boucing of the tank lid. I've covered all the openings through, so he shouldn't be able to get out.

I've got a question, for those of you who have loaches. How much do yours eat a day? Do they usually eat in the morning or the evening?

Ok man-o-man that is super freaky. I have a black moor named TrogDor which a friend named for me. I thought my friend, being the super weirdo that he is, pulled the name out of his weird imagination until someone on the forum showed me a music video of TrogDor the Dragon-Man. :rofl I'm curious, what made you think up of the name TrogDor?

Your loach is a cutie pie! :heart

My loaches are in a tank with goldfish, so they are fed twice per day morning and supper time along with the goldfish :)

Guest WoodenCoyote
I'm curious, what made you think up of the name TrogDor?

He looks like Trogdor. All he needs is one of those beefy arms :D

touchofsky, that's what I'm doing too. I was just worried because I hadn't actually seen him eat until this morning :krazy:

I am glad that you saw him eating this morning. My guys just love sinking pellets such as ProGold or shrimp pellets :lol: They get very excited when I open the lid to put the food in ... zooming around like maniacs, then they pounce on a pellet and you just see their whiskers moving. No way a goldfish is going to move them off of that pellet :feedme:food

My loaches are piglets too =o) They love just about everything I put in for the goldies. Only one of my loaches likes peas though, the other thinks they are icky! They like shrimp pellets, but I have to soak them for the loaches, because they are too big for their mouths, so they like them soggy so they can just take little bites off. The goldfish can eat a whole pellet though =o) They are in with pretty big fish, so the pellets are larger than they should be for a loach. Mine also love those flakes, I forget what they are called, (d'0h!) they are algea though, and greenish blue colour...someone help me out lol. I think it starts with an S. I have so many different kinds of fish foods, you would think I had a billion fish to feed =oP

Jessica

Yes! They love that stuff =o) I checked right after I posted because I felt so idiotic for not remembering what it was called heehee.

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

Guest coldwater

can someone give me an idea of how much dojos cost and what the eat thx :listen: