Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nattviska

About Females

Do female goldfish produce eggs even if there are only females in the tank?

What about the males? Will they be ready to breed without any females in the tank?

Yes, I've heard that females produced eggs even if they are alone.

And when I had two males and a female in the pond, the female got hurt by spawning. I took her inside and then they started to chase the young fry instead...

So I think they can chase anything that looks like a fish if there is no female available.

Well, if you want a calm tank you should have females, yes, my fish were spawning again today and they made a mess in the tank! And the poor female always has some split fins or small wounds on her body. I suppose you don't want fry?

When you buy a young new fish it's difficult to see if it's male or female, I had no idea until they started chasin' each other! :D Just bad luck there were two males and a female...

btw do you like fantasy? You had a beautiful pic on deviantart!

What do I do if one of them turns out to be male? I don't want to separate them but maybe that's the only option? I've also heard that they sometimes go nuts after a waterchange, why is that? Difference in temperature?

Yes, I love fantasy. :D

I think it's the only option, to separate them if they start chasing, if you want a calm tank! :D If you don't want fry just leave the eggs in the tank, the fish will eat them all!

A temperature change will trigger spawning, usually if the water gets warmer. My crazy fish though are spawning all through the winter... :o and all summer in the pond...

Well, I forgot to mention I love fantasy too, though I'm old enough to be your mom :unsure: What books have you read? Right now I'm reading the dragonriders of pern in english, got a tip from this board!

I see. I need to get myself another tank then! :)

Actually I don't read fantasy books all that much. I just like the art. :D

Do you have problems with chasing fish? :D Or are you thinking about getting more fishies?

Yes I like the art too, mostly dragons... ! :D

No I don't. At least not yet. But it's good to know if they suddenly go all weird.

I accidently caught one of them in the net once and the other fish got very upset and worried. They're both used to the net but I've never picked them up before. Should I still separate them? I have no idea how they would react. What if they get all depressed?

Yes, dragons are so beautiful. :)

Fish can react if they are left alone, I separated my fish twice, first for pond and second because the female were so torn after spawning. She needed to heal in peace and quiet. But she got very nervous and she kept swimming to and fro in the tank. I think she missed her friends.

You can separate them if they are chasing and spawning a lot if you want to, it can be pretty rough! But as I said you don't have to worry about fry, the parents will eat them.

Do what you think is best, but goldies are social, and if they arn't hurting each other there is no need to separate them...