Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Raynebowfish

Small Black Spot On Fish...

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level?0

Nitrate level? no test for it

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? I dont know the exact Ph..but I know it was VERY high

Ph Level out of the Tap? Same

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 5gal, 1 1/2 months

* What is the name and size of the filter/s? bio-wheel thing built in teh tank, its an Eclipse tank

* How often do you change the water and how much? every 3 days, 25%-50%

# How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, one is teh baby, who is less than an inch, the other is his buddy, who is an inch

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Start right, and stress zyme

# Any medications added to the tank? I added Fungus clear, and salted to .3%

# Add any new fish to the tank? no

# What do you feed your fish? spirulina flakes, Satori growth pellets (soaked), and omega one flakes

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Oranda has frayed fins, and also has a black dot on it, and streaky fins

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Not really, they act like happy fish...with the occasional twitching

There is a small black spot on my baby goldfish....I have no idea of wut it is, but I got a pic of it (not teh best quality...but i took around 80 of them, so its the best of those...)

I added Fungus Clear on 11-22, and salted to .1% (10pm)

11-23 ~ added second dose of salt (2pm)

11-24~ added final salt does to bring it to .3% (1am)

Thats basically all I've done for now....I'm kinda hoping someone will have an Idea of what the black spot is...I know its not ammonia burn cuz the ammonia is at 0, I test it every day.

Any help or ideas of what it is would be awesome!!!!

THanks!

Sarah

post-3964-1132816689_thumb.jpg

Ok, so everyone is prolly celebrated Turkey Day, or hasn't the slightest idea...so I went and searched online...and this is all I could find about it

Signs Of Infection: Small black or brown spots up to 2mm diameter on the body and fins.

Fish Affected: Black Spot, Neodiplostomum cuticola, is confined to cold water species such as Goldfish , Carp and Tench.

Details Of Infection: The spots are the larvae of an intestinal worm. The adult worms live in the intestines of birds that become infected by eating infested fish. Eggs are produced by the adult worms inside the bird's intestines and are passed via droppings to the water where, the eggs then hatch and become free swimming. The free swimming larvae are initially hosted by water snails where upon they are then passed on to fish. When on the fish, the larvae encases itself in a black membrane producing the visible spots. Birds will once again eat infected fish and so the cycle repeats.

Because of the life cycle of the worm, the condition is not infectious between fish.

Treatment: The simplest form of treatment is to break the life-cycle of the parasite either by ensuring that birds do not approach the fish or that no snails are present in the pond.

Anyone ever hear of this?!?! Or know for that matter? I have no clue how this could've happened....but so it goes...

Toothless....you know a LOT about wormy type infections and nasties like this....Any ideas???

*Not trying to sound impatient, just very confused on what is wrong with my baby goldfish, its his 6-month B-day today... :) and he can't die! LOL I won't let him!

Again, thanks in advanced

Sorry to hear about your fish.

I haven't heard of that, but I don't know everything so it could be.

Jungle labs makes a parasitic food that takes care of internal parasites. That shouldn't hurt him if it isn't the cause.

Meanwhile, could you post the nitrates and the ph. Those are valuable numbers we need to help diagnos the fish.

Yay! someone responded :)

I don't know what the nitrates are and the Ph is very high...not sure of exact number, but on teh jungle test strip is was like a dark pinkish/red color, almost likea brick red...I have Ph tests kits from teh freshwater master test kit, but I've lost the cards to know what the numbers are....

Thanks

Uh oh, you may have to go on their website to get that info back.

It is so necessary to know what those levels are, they could be playing a role in what is going on and until we know them............you're shooting in the dark.

Ok, I will attempt to do that...or I'll just go and pick up some test strips that have nitrate and Ph on them!

thanks again

Let us know what you find out.