Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Raynebowfish

Leaky Tank Problem...

I recently bought a 5gal Eclipse tank for my baby goldfish, and its been up and running great...but today, I noticed a LOT of water underneath it....I freaked out of course LOL emptied it and put teh baby in a spare bowl. I dried off the bottom and sides, and carefully poured about 3'' worth of water in it to see if it leaked (had it on newspaper in the bathtub) and nothing happened....

So I guess my question would be has anyone else had this happen to them? The only thing I could think of it being is that the water was leaking from teh top and falling down the side of the tank. Has anyone been able to solve that problem? I bought a "doggie" placemat, it looks like a cookie sheet, has teh edges all up around teh sides.

(the tank is the Eclipse 5gal acryllic, with Bio-wheel in teh hood)

Thanks,

Sarah

Guest becky

Yea, I have a 3 gallon eclipse. I noticed when I fill it too full it will "wick" water from the top and drip out over the edge. That should be really noticable though.

Then all of a sudden the water level of the tank started lowering drastically between water changes. It was not leaking around the tank, because I put paper towels to see if they would get wet. I could not figure it out.

Then I noticed that water was leaking down the cord from the hood!!!!! Drip, drip, one drop at at time. It was lowering the water level by a good inch within a day.

I now have the cord looped with a twistie tie right at the hood. That could have been a disaster.

Ok good, so I'm not the only one this has happened to! Not that I would want this to happen to people, but it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one LOL The doggie tray thing is working out really well, because I have to take the top off during cleanings and its easy this way, heres a pic of how it looks with the tray. The tray is a good idea, so that the water doesnt leak on to wood or on anything important. It was 5.99 @ Target

post-3964-1132817509_thumb.jpg

Guest becky

That is a great idea, I will have to look for a tray.