Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustJayde

*cries* My Filter Caught On Fire

32 posts in this topic

Guest JustJayde

I bought a new filter a week ago.

I spent 60.00 I didn't have for the best. I got the penguin 200 biowheel.

This morning I am sitting here and BLAMMO it starts shotting smoke and flames.

THANK GOD I WAS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I yanked the plug and grabbed it and tossed it OUT of the tank.

Poor fishie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant afford to spend another 60.00!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what?

I am honest to god sitting here bawling like a baby. This poor fish keeps going through filter @#$%@$^%$@% problems. I am at my ropes end and thinking of adopting him out or returning him to the store.

Now what?! :cry1

and ugh the SMELL.

:( Oh Jayde, thats horrifing. Like you say thank god you were at home. Now its good both you and fishy are okay.

Please don't adopt him out I know how much fishy means to you. :hug

Surely the shop should give you another filter. It must be under guarantee. Have you tried lots of different filters.

Bear with it Jayde we will all see you through this.

Guest JustJayde

I am so terrified it'll happen again, when I am not home... or asleep.

At this second I cant even IMAGINE replacing the filter and keeping him and risking worse....

Are the filter issues you have all different. Is this a known risk with the penguin ones?

Surely this must be a rare occurance and it would be extremely unlikely to happen again.

Jayde stay strong think of all the positives about you and fishies life together. You will be in shock right now.

Guest JustJayde

I have already called the store and asked them for help adopting fishie out.

My happiness means nothing in comparison to fishies happiness and the lives of all the people I would willingly be risking.

My heart is in a thousand pieces.

:( Oh Jayde , I am feeling so bad for you. Don't do anything in a rush. You are not endangering peoples lives.

There must have been an electrical fault and in every home we all have things that could all catch on fire.

If it had happened to your kettle or Radio you would not be thinking about returning Fishie.

Please please don't feel guilty and I'm willing you do keep fishie. This is not your fault and he belongs with you. You are a wonderful fish mum.

Jayde....take a deep breath.....

It is NOT your fault.

Do you think someone can take better care of your fishy than you? Who knows who will get it if it goes back to the store....

Is the problem funds for the filter? Did you ask the store for an exchange? Have you tried the aquaclear's? They are relatively inexpensive and work like a charm - I got one on my 10 gallon and I couldn't be happier.

I am so sorry you are going thru this, sweetie. Let us know what we can do to help...

Guest JustJayde

I think it was most likely some kind of power glitch... but I can't report it because I am not supposed to have the fish, I will get evicted and I can't do that because I have nowhere else to go.

I cant possibly risk the lives of all the other Tennant's, or even just their homes. Most of the people in this building are very ill and near death so if a fire were to break out due to me... i would never forgive myself.

Nope, I don't think many people will love my fishie the way I do. He has been my little life raft. But I am trying my hardest to adopt him out to a good home.

You can hope I find him a good home, with someone who does know how to care for him.

:cry1

I dont think the shop has any intention of replacing the filter, but that is a moot point right now. Finding him a good home is the point. first and foremost.

Jayde, no, you can't give up Fishie, that is not an option. Did you have the filter plugged into a power strip?

Jayde, i'm with everyone on this... don't give up yet... did you call the store about the filter, there could have ben a problem with that and not your electric?

as said about this could have happened to ANY item kettle, toaster, microwave...

hang in there hunny... :heart

Oh no! Dont get rid of fishie...hes your buddy. Just because it happened once doesn't mean it'll happen agian :( Theres got to be an alternative <_<

Guest JustJayde

I know it is hard to understand this, but I can not risk the lives of all the people in this building.

All these people have nowhere else to go.

Like me, they have nothing.

I can't even report it to an electrician and have it checked, without getting myself evicted you see? because I am not allowed to have a pet. I am now trapped.............

If you take away my emotions, the thing to do is adopt fishie somewhere he will be happy. Then report the problem.

I have no friends to take him temporarily and can not feel safe even long enough to shower now!

I see their is a problem, and I can not just ignore it.

If it were just my life, ok...... but it isn't. It is an entire building full of people who don't get the choice....... that I am risking now.

This decision is for the safety of the people around me, broken hearted or not it is the right thing to do. :(

Jayde, this is a terrible decision to have to make. I know you are doing what you think is best for your situation. It breaks all our hearts to see that you will have to give Fishie up - espescially to a pet shop. I would take Fishie in a heartbeat, but shipping him all the way to me, I'm terrified of what that would do to him.

*hugs* I'm sorry.

Guest JustJayde

ty little

Yip I cant even look at him now, I feel so bad. I just burst into tears.

But I can not even imagine the building burning down and it being my fault.

either way, I lose :(

I hope someone from here is local or at least in canada and can adopt him.

Oh Jayde, I am sooo sorry this is happening. You are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. You are a smart girl and will make the right decision.

We all know how important Fishie is to you. I think you should take a day or two to think about it.

Good luck making your decision. You will do the right thing. :)

Wow! :o

Was the pump running and still pushing water when it started to go on the fritz?

Had you noticed any dimming or brighteneing of the lights when this happened?

Are you sure that it says something in the lease about a small fishtank NOT being allowed? If I am not mistaken, most no pet policies only pertain to dogs, cats, rabbits parrots and others that can cause "structural or cosmetic" damages. A small fishtank housing a goldfish can't really be seen as something that could potentially damage anything and is sometimes even listed as one of the only pets allowed.

As for a power problem with the building goes, ANYTHING electrical that is left running when no one is home is a potential threat for fire. Even an alarm clock, fans and anything else that is hooked up to what is "suppose to be" a constant 120 volts with a specific amount of amps.

If you have a neighbor or anyone you can temporarily keep your tank for a couple days, I would move it there and call maintenence IMMEDIATELY. If the filter wasn't a faulty one, then this could happen again with some other appliance or electrical device.

Paul

Guest JustJayde

The lights did not dim, but sometime in the night one of the bulbs burned out.

yes the lease states absolutely no pets, including fish because should the tank leak, burst or break it would cause damage.

I have no friends, including the neighbors that can take fishie.

The minute the tank is out I will call the landlord and inform them of what happened, but replace said tank with a clock, that I just happened to throw out. I truly am not so stupid as to not know "Anything" plugged in can have the same problem, however this thing is the one thing that will get me evicted. so it must go before I can report the situation.

Please understand this is the only option I have in the position I am in...

I agree with Paul. I have NEVER had a filter go on fire - but I have had various other electrical faults that have caused fires. I always unplug everything non-essential when I am not home.

It could have been ANYTHING you had plugged in - and may do it again with something else. Is the plug loose in the socket?

I think Toothless' idea is perfect. Move the tank elsewhere and call for maintainence. That fault was dangerous and will (not could, but will) happen again - it matters little whether it is a fish tank filter or a toaster or a hair dryer or your phone.

In the future it is a relatively easy thing to rig up a ground fault interuptor into your system - they even sell some power strips with built in GFIs. I run a wire in the tank - and use as GFI - and the tank is grounded and protected, as am I.

:(

You could even hide Fishie(depending on tank size) in a closet if you HAD to. Anything so you dont have to adopt him out!!!! :(

Guest JustJayde

Ok , I am using a power strip that is ground and supposedly surge protected.... My brother is an electrician , I know that much :) I may seem stupid but I'm not really.. I just don't express my thoughts well.

I have nowhere to move the tank to, this is the part being over looked......... I have no friends locally, And no where else to put him.

again, I know anything can start the problem/ fire, however the tank being in my home is cause for eviction. So first that must go, then I will report the problem. I will take fishie to the pet store tonight if no one adopts him, because I cant risk NOT reporting it.

I cant risk the lives of the ppl in the building which is WHY I am getting fishie adopted NOW, so it can be dealt with immediately.

I will have to take the broken heart with it.

My priority is to find fishie a good home, instantly so I can report the power glitch and not risk lives.

Guest JustJayde

I am now sorry I started this thread.

Mods can you please lock and or delete it.

Are you able to ship Fishie to anyone on the forum? Can fish be shipped out of Canada?

Guest Dico

cant your bro take him for one day? wherever he lives, or if you slipped em a tenner im sure the petshop would look after im for one night

as for the filter get a refund, they have to give you one despite what they try and fob you off with

I don't know you very well, since I am new here, but I just wanted to say I am so sorry that happened to you, how scary!

I was wondering if you have a car? Or a storage space at your apartment complex, or a parking spot indoors? If you don't have any closets or cupboards you could hide the tank and fish in, you could always put the fish in a bucket and hide it somewhere, like under your sink or something? And put the tank and everything else in your car/storage area/parking spot, and cover it with a towel or blanket. You could even put the fish in your car if you had to, as long as it isn't too cold.

You shouldn't have to be home when the maintenance people come, as long as you give them permission to enter, maybe you could take the fish with you somewhere the day they are coming? You could leave the tank there in a closet or somewhere covered up, your lease says no pets, you can have an empty fish tank. Put fishie in a covered ontainer and go for a ride in your car, or on the bus if you don't have a car. If you get Tupperware container fuill of freshwater and keep letting air in you should be ok, it may be sterssful for you and Fishie, but you could keep him!

Also, Fishie should be ok in a bucket, even for several hours or a day, I had to do that when I moved my fish and they were fine. You could even use a bowl if you can't fit a bucket in a hiding place, I don't know how big your fish is. Another option might be to put the whole thingin the bathroom, maybe even in the tub and pull the curtain closed.

I doubt maintenance will go in the bathroom, and even if they do, if it is in the tub with the curtain closed you should be fine (nothing plugged in of course).

My fiance does maintenance where we live, and despite what most people think, they do NOT go looking around at stuff. But of course you never know, and I don't want anything to happen to your place to live.

Just trying to think of some more options so you can keep your baby, I'll stop now.

And definitely take that filter back, whether you keep fishie or not! If it is a faulty product they have to give you your money back, an the shop has no way of knowing if it was an electrical problem within your apartment or not. If they don't take it back, Penguin should, there should be contact info on the package or at their website.

I'll be thinking of you.

Edited by jen626