Sign in to follow this  
sandy

Do You Feed Tubifex?

55 posts in this topic

tubiflex is good if you buy it at a lfs and they are frezze dried

i was feeding my fish tubiflex and it was freeze dried i was told not to feed it to them as the parasite can survive the freeze dry process ask sandy about it

but i have feed them for almost 5 months it says they are the best of quality. :)

tubiflex is good if you buy it at a lfs and they are frezze dried

i was feeding my fish tubiflex and it was freeze dried i was told not to feed it to them as the parasite can survive the freeze dry process ask sandy about it

but i have feed them for almost 5 months it says they are the best of quality. :)

this is what sandy posted in the first about tubiflex first page

we've always known that tubifex can bring in parasites to your tank because of where they are found - sewage.

Thanks to Loz who sent me a copy of Tropical Fishkeeping Magazine it has now been shown to contain parasites.

Just to paraphrase the main bits

* Research was held in the University of Munich and studied tubifex for a year from different shops.*

*This showed that virtually all samples were infected with harmful parasites*

*Of seven samples, six contained infected oligochaetes (tubifex) and waterborne spores were present in 5 samples. In the laboratory, 12 different types of actinosporeans (myxozoa) were released by the oligochaetes.*

*These worms are made up of a number of different species, including Limnodrilus hoffmeisteri, L. udekemianus and tubifex tubifex.*

So basically if your tank is hit by some sort of sporozoan parasite then look to tubifex if you feed it.

Kim, if you read this then i highly suspect that the tubifex was the cause of your fish being infected.

I stopped feeding tubifex months ago, and i would urge anyone who feeds it to any fish to stop.

QUOTE(sandy @ Oct 29 2005, 04:16 AM)

The eggs of parasites can live through freezing and its not just tubifex that will carry the risk, as any dried food can carry parasite eggs, but tubifex has a higher risk.

Edited by Jillian

Yes it does go through the freezing method, so if you carry on feeding then you take the risk.

Sporozoan parasites can lie dormant for a long time before invading a host fish.

Is it really worth the risk if what you buy doesnt clearly say its not taken from sewerage?

These parasites kill all the fish in the tank and there is no cure.

Yes it does go through the freezing method, so if you carry on feeding then you take the risk.

Sporozoan parasites can lie dormant for a long time before invading a host fish.

Is it really worth the risk if what you buy doesnt clearly say its not taken from sewerage?

These parasites kill all the fish in the tank and there is no cure.

Thank you sandy fish crazy dont seem to believe me after I was told here about tubiflex and all i stopped it as ilovespaceboy feeding her fish tubiflex i suggested for her not to let her fish eat it anymore cause of the potential danger it can cause to her fish.... fish crazy been feeding gf for 5 mnths fresh water tubiflex seems to think it is ok.. i wouldnt even chance that either too much of a risk... anything that comes from the sewer even if bred in fresh water or not it is no good for our fish i'd rather stay with the norm safe stuff no matter how much my fish loved tubiflex they will never get it again from me and it will never step foot into my home either

bump - just to keep it up for newbies to read