Sign in to follow this  
sandy

Do You Feed Tubifex?

55 posts in this topic

freeze dried and frozen foods are gamma rayed which kills everything though?

Guest becky

Spores can survive a nuclear blast. Seriously. They are virtually indestructible. It is natures way of ensuring survival. A spore is not just an egg. It functions like an egg, but it's outer covering can not be destroyed. Think mold spores. They just go dormant until it gets damp and then they begin to grow again.

fantailfan1 - I, too, used to feed my guys the freeze-dried blood worms. But, I found the frozen ones so I switched. I wonder if there isn't a connection b/n how our fishies are acting and the freeze-dried blood worms......

Always makes you wonder, eh?

fantailfan1 - I, too, used to feed my guys the freeze-dried blood worms.  But, I found the frozen ones so I switched.  I wonder if there isn't a connection b/n how our fishies are acting and the freeze-dried blood worms......

Always makes you wonder, eh?

420820[/snapback]

Yep, it sure does. I'm not feeding the any kind of bloodworms til I find out more about this. :crp

SO has anyone found out any other info on this? I was just about to order a bunch of different freezedried items from a very reputable seller and now I am not so sure...anyone?

Mmm not really.. I heard one member here say that San Fransisco Bay brand frozen bloodworm cubes were guarenteed parasite free.

I wonder if someone should do a poll asking if people who have had their fish contract sporozoan parasites also fed Tubifex, bloodworms, or both? That would be anecdotal, but informative right?

I was just reading a book the other night that mentioned that Tubifex can spread tapeworms. Here's the passage:

"The crustacean Cyclops and Tubifex worms are both potential carriers of the tapeworm larvae. There is always a risk in feeding fishes with these live foods since they are usually collected from water in which fishes live. Some species of tapeworm reach the adult stage in water birds or mammals, infesting fish only as an intermediate host in the life cycle.

The degree of harm caused to fishes varies from one tapeworm species to another; in general they are very undesirable in aquarium fishes."

Also in the book it talks about Tubifex as a food:

"Tubifex worms are excellent food for most fishes, and are eagerly eaten, but they are probably the biggest potential source of disease in the aquarium. Some fishkeepers who use Tubifex regularly concistently find trouble with various parasites; aquarists who resort to other foods find that aquariums remain virtually disease free. Tubifex-thin, red worms up to 8cm (3.2 in) long-are commonly found in large numbers in the mud of polluted waters, such as near sewage outfalls. The front end of the worm sits in a mud tube and the tail waves gently in the water to obtain oxygen. The worms breed very rapidly, laying eggs in oval capsules.

The safest advice is to avoid Tubifex worms if your fishes can be tempted to eat any other live food. If you want to use Tubifex, then wash the worms under running water for several days before use to purge them of as many impurities as possible.

There are several substitutes for Tubifex that are completely disease-free; white worms and micro-worms, for example, can be cultivated cheaply and easily. Brine shrimps (Artemia salina) can be grown to adult size and are ideal as a food for mature fishes. You can also buy them fully grown from your dealer."

I just thought I would share what I had recently read, not sure as to it's accuracy, but it seemed to fit with this post. These passages are from "A Fishkeeper's Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium" by Dr. Neville Carrington TetraPress copyright 1985 Salamander Books Ltd.

Edited by jen626

Thanks Jen :D

This is the seller I was going to order from. I have used his soft spiro, and wafers and all fish like them a lot..he has great feedback and a lot of repeat buyers.

He will also send smaller sizes for the *smaller* fish owner. Very nice guy to work with, I think his name is Bill.

Here is a link to his store...I just don't know what to try, but he will send a 1/2 lb sample pack of different kinds including shipping for $10.

http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Fish-Stuff

If anyone has ideas on what would be good to try, I would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks Sandy,

Interesting post, I had bought Bloodworms and was gonna try the tubiflex. Won't be doing so now.

They have the brine shrimp at the mo in the squeezie tubes. Any concerns with this?

No siansy, I feed my fish the food from the tube as well.

Im not at all concerned with the bloodworm just where some manufacturers get their tubiflex from. If it says on the package they are taken from a non polluted source then thats fine, but just be aware of what you feed your fish.

If anyone is interested;

the seller I referred to above will send sample packs as mentioned to anyone that would like them. He advised for my goldies the freezdried krill, plankton.

I also chose 1/8 lb of the earthworms, and 1/8 lb of the Super Soft Krill HBH Fish Food Small Pellets ...just for variety. ALl the nutritional info is on his auction pages. Since these foods weigh SO LITTLE, an 1/8 of a pound is a huge qauntity. I also use his spiro super soft as treats and my fish love them.

He said anyone can email and put together a 1/2 lb sample pack and pay the $10.

If you look at his normal auction prices of each food at the same size, they are far more expensive then this price. Thay usually range $5 to $7 something for the 1/8lb so this is an awesome deal.

Price includes priority shipping.

this sounds suspiciously like how my peaches died :( and i had just started feeding them tubifex :(

Guest ari-raja05

:D Hi all, I am new in this forum. And I am new too in keeping goldfish. I am Indonesian. I live in Solo, Central Java, but I work as journalist in Jogjakarta, about 60 km from Solo. Ok, friend, in my little pond in my back yard I kept some goldfish with 5 varieties: Oranda (red cap, calico etc), pearl scale, ranchu, ryukin fan tail, and celestial (star gazer). Some of these is adult, and the others is fries about 2 month years old.

I read in this forum about tubifex which harmful for goldfish. Is tubifes the other name of silk worm? Because, I fed my goldfish with silkworm two times a week, and grow faster. (Next day, I'll post their pics for you). And no matter with them while eat silkworm. Hope your advices ASAP. Thank you.

Regards,

Ari

Hi ari-raja05 and welcome to the forum.

I dont know of tubifex being sold as silkworm. I think they are two different kinds of worm.

On the side note, if no one mentioned it yet.

Most of the frozen bloodworms from the hikari label are styrilized and are by no chance bad;(yes the semicolon goes here) I've been using it to feed my fishes for two years and a half or so.

:D Hi all, I am new in this forum. And I am new too in keeping goldfish. I am Indonesian. I live in Solo, Central Java, but I work as journalist in Jogjakarta, about 60 km from Solo. Ok, friend, in my little pond in my back yard I kept some goldfish with 5 varieties: Oranda (red cap, calico etc), pearl scale, ranchu, ryukin fan tail, and celestial (star gazer). Some of these is adult, and the others is fries about 2 month years old.

I read in this forum about tubifex which harmful for goldfish. Is tubifes the other name of silk worm? Because, I fed my goldfish with silkworm two times a week, and grow faster. (Next day, I'll post their pics for you). And no matter with them while eat silkworm. Hope your advices ASAP. Thank you.

Regards,

Ari

474517[/snapback]

WAAAAA finally!! Another Indonesian!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy!!!

Hallo2. Nama saya Rizky. Saya juga Indo tp tinggal di Perth, Western Australia. Seneng bgt akhirnya ada orang Indo juga di forum ini. Maksud situ silkworm itu yg seperti di gambar di bawah ini bukan?:

ben13.jpg

(Basically I said hello to him, saying I was VERY happy to see another Indonesian here and just confirming whether the silkworms he mentioned was like in the picture, which is of course tubifex worms)

What an international community we have, its great!

Hopefully he can tell you what he is feeding his fish :)

Heloooo Ari Ari? Where are youuu? :D

I think I spooked him lol :lol:

Guest ari-raja05

:heart Thanks for replying my post Sandy. And Rizky, halo, salam kenal. I am happy to see you too. Yes, you're right Rizky, it is silkworm I mean. I always used silkworm to feed my goldfish. I know, silkworm is oily, so if overfeeding it is harm to goldfish. For this reason, I fed my goldfish with silkworm 2 times a week in the morning. And, my goldwish growing faster. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Ari :)

Edited by ari-raja05

Yo Ari,

It seems like silkworm = tubifex :D

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your fish Ari!

Post fotonya di Goldfish Photos section yah! ;) Yang banyak juga hehehe

So silkworm is tubifex riz?

I think so. At least what I think he said in his last post. I'll ask him again :D

Ari, jadi silkworm yg dimaksud itu memang sama seperti yg di foto?

I think this is an excellent topic and excellent warning for those who dont know I also think this should be pinned so ppl can see it is a serious matter pertaining to tubiflex and the damage it can and will do to our fish

Edited by Jillian

tubiflex is good if you buy it at a lfs and they are frezze dried

tubiflex is good if you buy it at a lfs and they are frezze dried

i was feeding my fish tubiflex and it was freeze dried i was told not to feed it to them as the parasite can survive the freeze dry process ask sandy about it

Edited by Jillian