Mooreman

Canister Filter Vs. Normal Filter

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering witch one is better and for what reasons? good and abd things with both.

Hi,

Here's a quick rundown:

Box filter - run from an air pump and usually contains filter floss, carbon and sometimes gravel. Suitable for small tanks only. Low turnover and not very good at bio filtration.

Internal power filter - a self contained pump/filter chamber submerged in your tank. High turnover and can contain media for mech/chem/bio filtration. The media chamber may be quite small and the filter takes up some space in the tank.

Undergravel filter - a plate that sits under your tank gravel, while maintaining a flow of water through it. Very good for biological filtration, but maintenance can be difficult.

Hang-on-back/Hang-on-top - plastic container that sits on top of your tank, or hangs off the side. A pump draws water from tank, which flows through filter, and sometimes a bio-wheel, then back into tank. Similar to an internal power filter, though water flow is "open-air". Media chamber is quite small, though maintenance is easy. A bio-wheel is a water wheel that allows bacteria to grow on it, thereby increasing bio-filtration.

Cannisters - a sealed box containing layers of filter media with a pump and in-out tubing to the tank. Flow rates are lower than power/hang-on filters, but volume of media is a lot higher. Has a very high filtration capacity.

Wet/dry filters - an open air box containing bio-balls/bio-rings. Tank water is pumped to the box and alowed to flow over the media, not submerging it. The water is then pumped back to the tank. This will allow far more bio bugs to grow and is very efficient at bio filtration.

Fluidised bed- a tube of sand through which water is pumped at a high rate. The constantly moving sand creates a good environment for bio-bugs to grow, making this filter very good at bio-filtration. Maintenance can be a hassle.

This is only an outline and I'm sure others will come along with more info.

Hope this is useful.

Slugger :)

would it be a bad thing to have a Cannisters and a Hang-on-back/Hang-on-top in the same tank?

Actually it's quite good to have both and is often recommended!!

Ditto, Fantail! If you have one of each (or at least two filters or any kind) you always have one running while you clean the other - and you can have extra cycled filter pads available in case you need a QT tank pronto! I cannot imagine the filter it would take to actually have too much filtration! :rofl (oxymoron)

PS - HOB filter = power filter, just in case yo see both names!

Canister is good for larger tanks because they can filter a large volume of water at once - but there are some very powerful power filters out there now, too like the Penguin 400 with bio-wheel - I like the idea of canister with a power.

Edited by Graham

My opinion is canister filter is best because I used it for last 1.5  years. If you want your fish tank to be sparkly clean then my choice is canister filter. Tha main reason is, the Canister filter sucks in dirty water from the aquarium and pumps out pure water. The impure water goes through three major filtration processes namely Mechanical, Biological, and Chemical. I have been using Fluval G6 filter. This filter to filter both saltwater and freshwater aquarium.  The filtration system is extremely easy to use. You will just have to press one single button and your job is done. If you want you can check this filter review. https://fishboxpro.com/best-canister-filter-review/

I have used many types of HOB filters and 2 types of canister filters and I prefer the canisters by far. All of the HOB I have used started getting too loud after a while. The canisters just keep on running silently. The canister also has more room for media, and you can also have more control over where the water is taken in from and also exited back into the tank. The only advantage of a HOB that I can think of right now is that it is easier to clean. A full canister filter could be heavy for some people.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselPlower said:

I have used many types of HOB filters and 2 types of canister filters and I prefer the canisters by far. All of the HOB I have used started getting too loud after a while. The canisters just keep on running silently. The canister also has more room for media, and you can also have more control over where the water is taken in from and also exited back into the tank. The only advantage of a HOB that I can think of right now is that it is easier to clean. A full canister filter could be heavy for some people.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

:bingo: I don't have them cause of the weight of them and also the water from the hoses always gets all over the place. :o At least for me. 

Canister all the way.  I've used them for about 9 or 10 years.  I had HOBs before, but once I tried a canister there was no going back.

I find HOBs harder to clean, and they seem to get dirty faster, at least they did for me.  Most canisters have more biofilter room too. 

But it all comes down to personal choice.  I've heard others who love HOBs.  I'd suggest trying one of each running on your tank at the same time.  They will work together and in time, you can choose what to go with if/when you upgrade. 

Good Luck!  :D

• Like 1