Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Fish Lice

Ammonia Level: 0ppm/ml

Nitrite Level: <0.3ppm/ml

Nitrate level: Don't have a test for this, hmm...

Ph Level: 7.5

Ph Level out of the tap: 6.0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running: 55 gallons, been running for about say a month and a half.

What is the name and size of the filter/s: Penguin Bio-wheel 170, Penguin powerhead 660, Jebo 850 canister

How often do you change the water and how much: Changed 75% Monday changed another 50% Friday

How many fish in the tank and their size: Black Moor 6inches, Black Moor 2.5 inches, Black Moor 2 inches, two BN lecostomus 2-3.5 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners: .2% salt, Amquel+, Kent pH buffer

Any medications added to the tank: No

Add any new fish to the tank: No

What do you feed your fish: Lettuce, cucumbers, bananas (occasionaly) and Hikari Lionhead Bio Gold

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus: Fish lice

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect: Biggest Moor w/lice was laying around the bottom, noticed him kinda seziouring an hour ago.

Since the seziours I've picked off 3 larger lice and caught one free swimming, he's doing better and has begun roaming the tank. I'm going to drain the whole thing and inspect the fish. I've been recomended to use Jungle Clear (or something of that nature rather) by someone, I read up on lice and the fish do need further medications, what do people recommend, and how to go about this?

Thanks for everything! :)

Hi Tam and what a bummer :(

I battled fish lice over a year ago and they can take a toll on fish if not removed quickly.

I used Wardley's Para-ex - 2 doses and it destroyed the free swimming ones quickly. The second dose was for any hatched lice.

I nearly lost my black moor over this - the reason being lice carry aeromonas and other bacteria on their feeding stilletto and infect each fish they bite. These are very nasty parasites that cause a lot of wear and tear on tissue by the spine and their suckers can cause intense irritation.

I think Jungle Clear works equally well - other people have had success with PP or if you can, try and get some Para-ex by Wardleys.

Once you have removed all the lice (with tweezers), salt your tank to 0.3% as it will keep the bacterial count down giving your fish a chance to rebuild his immunity. Plus it will act as a medicinal tonic.

Hopefully you can eradicate these nasty little suckers - they're horrible.

PS - was this what I saw on your beautiful new big moor?

Thanks Jen, the tank is at .2% salt at the moment, I'll bring that up mid-day to .3%. Yes, those nasties were on the new Moor, he's lice free and moving around so much more which is so great. I'll look for Para-ex as well, thanks again!