Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Donya

Can't Find The Right Type Of Goldie...

My goldie needs a friend, and at 4"+ he is too much of a meatball to be playing rough with little fragile fish. He's definitely having lonely issues, practcially jumping out of the tank in my direction when he sees me start to walk away. I'd really like to get him another goldie friend, so he'll have a playmate that is roughly his size/body mass, but I don't want to get a fish that is going to get really "tall" since I don't have a setup to accomodate huge long tails or big high dorsals. I was thinking celestial since I have a "view from above" setup...but they don't seem to exist at any local stores and my attempts to order in goldies havn't worked. Another ranchu or lionhead would be good but they don't seem to exist either. What it looks like I can get are:

- bubble-eyes

- moors/telescopes/somethings...I can't tell the diference :crp sorry

- orandas

- ryukins

- pearlscales

Bubble-eyes freak me out because I just know I'd come home one day and find a one-bubble fish with no explaination. Commets/shubunkins/sarassas/etc. are ever-present but they are "water rockets" and I have an open-top tank that is not made for speed. Any suggestions about the other ones? What do pearlscales turn out like body-shape/size wise? I have seen some gorgeous telescopes, but I don't know if they get really "tall" or not. I am running out of ideas :( I'm about ready to go down to the dreaded it-shall-not-be-named store and save something from the pet department that is so bad it shouldn't exist. I know that place has random fancies, a lionhead or two every now and then. I would be seriously worried about bringing in diseases that way though because my goldie has never had any real health issues before.

You do not say what type of fish your first fish is - it does make a difference as to what would be a good tank mate.

It also is important what type - shape and size, etc. - of tank you have. I do not really understand the "tall" reference - is your water really shallow? What is your setup?

Bubble eyes are a bit more fragile, and Celestials are only slightly better. They need special care and special tank mates for they are not the greatest at finding food swiftly.

Orandas can get HUGE, pearlscales usually only go to the 4-6 inch range, but they are a very "deep" bodied fish. Perhaps they would be considered "tall"?

A short tailed telescope eyed fish can be a very good, solid tank mate for all but the comets and really roudy fellas in the tank. But they do come in a broad tailed version - with glorious high floating fins......

With care and work, many fish can be companions.

So - what do you have, what is your tank size, shape, setup, etc?

:)

Whoops....sorry :ignore yeah I kinda forgot some stuff there lol. First fish = ranchu. The setup is shallow, gravel bottom, not really any sharp corners but there are some plants and things and snails with pointy shells. The water is 7-8" deep I think, but I don't have my ruler on hand. It's at least 7" deep.

I think your safest bet would be another ranchu or lionhead that's close in size to your little meatwad. A pearlscale may stay too small, and I've never seen any at a petstore that were bigger than a couple of inches. An oranda would be okay too, but like Daryl said, they do have long flowing fins.

Good Luck in your choice! Let us know what you get!

---BTW: Just say no to the unnameable petstore. There's no point in risking your goldie's health just so he can have companionship.

When I got my ranchu, there were amazing pearlscales going for $100 that were around 8" (body at least 4"), so it must be a matter of tank-size or dwarfing from bad care or something. They were really long-fin pearls though.

Ok so saying no to that-which-shaln't-be-nammed means moor/telescope/something since orandas get big. Unless I really luck out. There is another store I am going to ring up tomarrow and check out...Long flowy fins would wory me if they're too uncontrollable since I'd be worried they'd get snagged on the plants and stuff. One of the other stores always gets in beautiful black moors so I guess I could always go for one of them.

I would suggest another ranchu :D I made a mistake putting my calico ranchu with other breeds and she was constantly pushed during feeding time.Ranchus aren't very skilled swimmers so they would be better off with the same breed,IMO :D

7" deep is quite enough for almost any type of goldfish I reckon, maybe not ryukin though.

A good friend for Willy will of course be another ranchu, but I'd say an oranda or a pearlscale will be just as good. Or a pom-pom? :D

If it's an equally clumsy fish and they are hand fed it would be alright though, right? I don't really have the option to just dump the food in...the other little fish get to it first lol. So, I ahve to hand feed my ranchu. If I had to hand feed two fish it would be ok.

Or a pom-pom?

lol I wish! I did see one of those at a vvvv but it as around $50 if I recall. That's a wee bit out of my range... :krazy:

$50?? :blink: Are they big pom-poms?

My moor Desi is in a tank with a comet and a Ranchu. The comet is small, but the ranchu is 3/4 the size of desi and they get along great! VERY protective of each other. :)

Hi, I would suggest an oranda because even with the long fins, mine are still rough players with each other but then again they are both orandas. But I haven't ever had any other kond of goldie with and oranda.

The pom-poms were around 3" I think, though I can't remember well. I just remember they looked weird cause they had magenta "poofs" on their nose and they were calico fish. The pink looked pretty strange.

Ok so I'm looking at: try for ranchu first or lionhead, if that fails maybe a telescope/moor/something, and then a pearlscale if that falls through. I am going to go out fish hunting again this week. Hopefully the new shipments will have come in and there will be more promising stock out there. Surely I can't wipe out on all of those possibilities with 3 large stores in my area. I guess I could always look online.

Ok I found some lion heads...but they are $30. Advantages: imported from Asia, very healthy, at a good pet store (not a dead fish in sight, staff not trying to put a hard sell on anyone and skeptical about people who don't know their stuff, etc.), good body shape and all that, and around 2.5". The colors are not very impressive though...no calico or anything, just solid gold.

Is the price worth it? I don't have a lot of money, but I don't want to buy a $5 fish at a chain store and wind up with a fish with tons of health problems and whatnot...is what you pay for really equal to the quality of what you get for imported fish?

I came home with a huge Viviparid snail that is bigger than most species are suppost to get LOL they have some awsome stuff at that store.

Whoa $30 for a 2.5" lionhead.....hmmm seems a bit steep to me. Can u maybe, um, haggle with the seller? :D

If I was a regular at the store that might work, but they were kind of giving me the uncertain eye. Probably didn't help that I came right from a chemistry lab so I looked rather uh...well you can probably guess lol. So $30 is steep huh...bummer. I am still clueless about goldie prices so that's good to know. The orandas they had were even more pricey. The only cheap thing they had there were the giant viviparids, so I guess it's are mainly a collecter's store.

Edited by Donya

30 us dollars is about 45 aussie dollars, yep a bit pricey for a small lionhead.

But it's up to u. If u think that health is paramount, $30 might be ok hehe ;)

Well, I really didn't see a fish that was in bad shape there...that is literally the only store I've ever been in that had each tank fully healthy. No diseases or shredded fins. *sigh* I'll see what the health is like for the next shipments at other stores. If it's one big bunch of ich, $30 might not look so bad.

Hehehehe

and don't wear ur lab coat :D

Orandas and Ryukins are tough little monsters im my opinion. I bet a small one of those guys would be able to play.... :D

I checked the stores today and I was pretty disappointed...looks like most shipments got pretty beaten up. Usually I expect to see fin rot or something on new fish, these fish had broken fins and tails munged up and looked like they'd been dropped or something. Poor guys :cry1

What are ryukins like as far as how big they get how fast? I did see a couple healthy ones of those. If I got a short-fin one would it be likely to get more than 8" from top to bottom?

The biggest ryukins are about 8" height-wise :D and they got tall bodies & tall fins so i dont think ryukin is ur ideal fish.

I say 30$ is a steal. In some places they cost a fortune. I bought a Lionhead that was only 1/2" (half an inch) long, and it cost me $16.00 it was not imported from Asia and I bought it from a dump of a place (as far as the fish section is concerned). They are hard to find in some areas, and if you find one with good shape, good health etc, I don't think $30 is too much if they are scarce in your area.

Jessica

Hi! I would definitely not put a Ryukin in there! They should really be kept with other Ryus - they can be aggressive and are just too fast for other fancy types - not that it has not been done! But, reading about the particular set-up you have, I would not say it is the best place for a Ryukin.

I think another Ranchu would be really nice! Is there some reason you don't prefer another one? Just want more variety? A celestial would be great, too!

How about a lion head?!

I have ordered fish online twice now and had excellent experience both times! I can understand why people seem skeptical about it but actually, most of the fish you buy at the store have travelled by air at least once in their lives! If the shipping container is well set-up it can go very smoothly.

I just mentioned it elsewhere but Dandy Orandas has a price range from $15.00 and up. Also, Dr. Foster Smith has some nice varieties of GF, too! I wanted to mention this because when people hear "breeder" they automatically think expensive - like I did! Until I saw the DO video and price list. You can actually pick out your fish yourself form the video! I did and I am very happy with them. Just becasue you buy them from the store does not mean that they will survive day one, either - so the risk is really the same in the end.

Just a thought to give you some alternatives - and some encouragement if you are wary of shipping fish. :heart

Edited by Graham

I would love another ranchu or a celestial, but I just can't find any. I even tried to get places to order them in, but they can't/won't. They are out of stock on the places I looked online too...and the shipping is rather painfully high (I know why it's high, I can't argue there--goldies arn't like snails that just sleep on the ride) and I don't have much budget to spare. I will go back and see if those lionheads are still there, they are just so much more expensive than other ones I have seen (I think $30 and think several days worth of human food...such is college life lol). I'm just not sure I want to spend that much money on a fish because it's imported from Japan rather than locally bred...some of those might have been show quality for all I know, and while that'd be a nice coincidence it's not what I'm really after.

:newfish

I couldn't stand it...I may get a ranchu or something later if the time comes, but this little guy was all alone in a tank being the "leftover" from several shipments where everything else was sold and he was skinny from not being fed. I guess this counts as my first fish rescue...

tiny1.jpg

He's a telescope with the type of tail that is laid out pretty much horizontally (can't remember if that has a name?). Couldn't get a good photo of him because I didn't want to use the flash and stress him. He won't be the prettiest fish in the world, but I thought he deserved a chance. He has a broken anal fin and tip of one caudal right now, but no diseases. I'm hoping I can get his fins back in order, or at least keep get him healthier so they heal quickly.