Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruffledmumkin

We Have Babies!

I wasn't sure where to put this, since my fry aren't gf.

Well tonight I noticed my male mosquito fish chasing my pregnant female mf. I looked close and noticed she had half of a little fish hanging out of her, and the male was trying to eat it. So I took them all out and put them in their own containers. I watched the female, and she had 4 babies. When I looked in the tank, I noticed many more. I collected them all, and put them in a small tank. I have a total of 23! I am so excited! :clapping: I have never see a fish have babies. They are so cute and tiny! I wish I could show y'all what they look like, but I don't have a digital camera. I think they look a lot like guppy fry.

:lol: Congrats!!! Baby fry are exciting no matter where they come from,or who their by!I'm not sure if I've ever seen Mosquito fish or not....Do they have any color on them,or are they sort of plain colored like Minnows?

I agree with Devs....fry are always exciting...goldfish or not

Thanks y'all! :D

They don't really have much color. They sometimes have a tint of blue, but not much. They definitely look like minnows. The fry are about this long ---. They are picky little boogers. I have finally gotten them to eat little bits of tubifex worms. They didn't like crushed flakes, or dried bloodworm's. I added some algae to the tank, so they could pick at that too. I also put 2 small pond snails in there to clean up what is left. Does it sound like I have it covered? Oh yeah, and there is still 23. I hope I don't loose any!

Congratulations!Frys are exciting!I haven't seen a mosquito fish but they sound cute :D

how long have you had your fry?

Sometimes you can buy cubes of frozen brine shrimp. This makes a good meal for tropical freshwater fish! I raised my only surviving dalmation molly fry on it, and she grew up fine and now eats flakes. You can buy it at some LFS, just ask if they have some frozen section.

This was the stuff I used:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/FrozenFood/Pro...009/Detail.aspx

Thanks for the info Sane. I'll check into that. They are still just eating the tubifex worms, but they are all still alive and growing. Did you have to break up the cubes?

Well, if you run it under water it un-freezes and becomes just fleshy shrimpyness that you can pull apart into little bits and put in the water. They'll nip off of it and such. Or, you can drop the whole cube in and they'll all go at it. Either way will be fine! :)

thats excellent...I hope that you enjoy this experiences...it's a wonderful thing

I am enjoying it. They are so cute. I love to just sit and watch them. They will be ready for the pond in a few weeks.

for the first two months....I spent like 2 hours a day watching them...even gave some anmes to a few I know I'm keeping

They are all still alive, and growing. But I still can't tell them apart to name them. They all look the same. It is so neat watching them grow. I didn't know they grew so fast. Every time I feed them they have little round bellies. Its so cute! :)

Hey, do I get a breeder award for this, or is it just for goldfish? I just thought of that, and was curious. :D