Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Dusty, De Jacamo, Pudge, Asher, Lucifer, Zorro.

That's one of the most awful fish stories I've ever seen or heard. I'm so, so sorry for you and your fish. I just don't understand why your pH dropped so radically in such a short period of time. You have been keeping fish for 2 years and nothing like this has happened before, especially as your tap water is pH 8. (but your kH is very low)

Either, as Paul suggested, there was a huge amount of ammonia in the water that lowered the pH or you could investigate your substrate (gravel).

I have 6 tanks inside ranging from 10g to 40g, all have the same type of gravel except one. The tank that has natural brown gravel is the tank whose pH constantly drops. All my other tanks have artificial coloured gravel. The tub outside has no gravel and it is the best at maintaining steady pH levels. You may wish to consider going bare bottom in your 55g.

Not only may some substrates have an acidic effect on your water, gravel is a great place for muck to hide. The more muck in your tank the higher the organic load and the higher the effects of the nitrification cycle (acidity). Bare bottom tanks have significantly lower levels of organic matter in the water if the filters are rinsed regularly.

As for pH tests, for me it is the most important test kit of all. For the first 6mths of fish keeping it was the only test kit I had. I strongly recommend everybody should have a pH test kit and test weekly before water changes.

Once again, so sorry for your fishies.

How is trevor doing hun??????

Also a side note on the baking soda..I can recomend it!!! Once you work out the ratio you need its easy and it really keeps the PH stable.

I test PH everyday in all 4 tanks. then test before a waterchange, then after i prepare the new water with baking soda (I have to use baking soda as my water is too soft) I test the new water aswell to make sure its the same, then add to tank then test again to make sure tank is still the same after the addition of the new water.

Yes I go thru alot of PH tests but, to me they are priceless.

For example when I got Dalamar home from the shop I tested his PH in his bag water ...it was under the lowest reading!!!!!!!!!!! so If I had of added him to the new tank I set up with just tap water (ph of 6.8)he would of gone in shock so I had to lower the ph in this case then gradually over the last few day I have risen it with baking soda .2 each day

In a few more days he should be the same PH as my main tank where he will eventually live.

I just now read this story and Tam I'm so sorry you had to go through this. It's awful to find your fish in that way. :crp I had no idea a ph crash could result in something as bad as this. I hope you feel better soon. :tou

Either, as Paul suggested, there was a huge amount of ammonia in the water that lowered the pH or you could investigate your substrate (gravel). 

I have 6 tanks inside ranging from 10g to 40g, all have the same type of gravel except one.  The tank that has natural brown gravel is the tank whose pH constantly drops.  All my other tanks have artificial coloured gravel.  The tub outside has no gravel and it is the best at maintaining steady pH levels.  You may wish to consider going bare bottom in your 55g.

Not only may some substrates have an acidic effect on your water, gravel is a great place for muck to hide.  The more muck in your tank the higher the organic load and the higher the effects of the nitrification cycle (acidity).  Bare bottom tanks have significantly lower levels of organic matter in the water if the filters are rinsed regularly.

392799[/snapback]

I think it might have been the substrate, because I mean my 20 had just close to nothing for gravel, but I stuck new nice natural pebbles in and whooom. Too I think they changed our tap water, my stepmom lost her fish yesterday from what looked like the same thing. ;) It came out all yellow today in the kitchen faucet! Usualy they send a flyer but I guess not. That seriously angers me.

I'll go bare bottom but I have live plants, maybe I'll make a sort of barrier and plant in only certian spots. For that though I'm buying Flourite, no more of those light coloured pebbles.

Trevor and the plecostomus's are doing great, he's not flakey on his head anymore and he's becoming more vigorous.

Glad to hear Trevor and the plec are doing better! :D Yellow water? YUCK! I'd get to the bottom of this with your water company and find out what they are doing/did.

Thats great that they aredoing better!!

oh, im so sorry! i just caught this thread. i really dont know what to say. its happened to me before where you go to see them and everyones either dead or dying. flukes got my lot :( as has already been said, if you ever need to talk we are all here for you and i can guarentee its happened to a few more people here too. hugs n kisses sweetie :hug keep smiling and the world will smile with you :)

I'm so strung out. :cry1 Trevor passed away today, he was looking so good, but I hadn't added enough pH stabalizer when I left last night... Now I'm fighting for my two BN plecostomus's to make it. I was able to stabalize the pH at 8.0 today so *hopefully* they'll make it.

The 55 was torn down, gravel taken out, pH stabalizer added and now I've just gotta get it to cycle and stabalize completely.

My stepmom gave up on her fish, she took the 55 down and stuck the Dempseys in with the remaining fantail, common and koi in the 5 gallon. Poor fantail has no tail left, the koi is all scared up. It breaks my heart that I can't help them, I have no where to put them...

An up side is I'm going to ask for the canister filter that's laying out in the garbage, it has a crack but nothing some seleant can't fix. My Opa (Grandpa in German) is going to help me build a stand and canopy for the 55. My bettas are still in great shape, they're going to get a 20 long so I don't have a million and one tiny tanks. I'm enraged with my water company and I'm going to have at them when/if I can calm down. They're supposed to send warning notices when they change the water!

God have mercy on me, all my babies have died and I'm a train wreck...

I'm sadden at your lost...I hope it is not as you say with the water company...that would be really irresponsible and I would hope they could try to compensate somehow(though I know money is never worth any lost of goldfish)

try adding a thin layer of crushed coral (for salt water) mixed in with your gravel, will help stableize your tank's pH.

:( Im so sorry about the rest of your babies

Poor fantail..its like she's doomed too :(

I hope your bristlenoses pull through and I feel sad for your stepmom's fish. Life can be cruel sometimes.

Of course your water source is a suspect but I'm inclined to think if the source was the problem you fish would have got sick instantly they went into the new tank water. How long after set-up did this crisis occur? Also, yellow water is suspect but it can mean nothing more than a pipe breakage down the line, hence all the muck being flushed out down your sink. The breakage could not have been more than 12hrs old. In saying all that, we still will never know.

One more thing, I noticed some driftwood/bogwood in your tank. Was this new with the tank? I'm not saying the driftwood was responsible but all driftwood, no matter how old, will leach tanic acid into the water and this lowers pH. I suggest removing the driftwood until you are satisfied that your pH is stable and your kH is high enough to prevent sudden crashes. In a stable environment with regular water changes driftwood is fine.

edit: of you are seriously considering going bare bottom and want to keep plants, check out awrieger's tank photos. She had a beautiful arrangement at time with plants in glass jars.

Also, dataguru's webpage has some great tips on stabilising pH and kH.

Edited by Fishmerised

Oh Tam, this is so awful for you :cry1 .... poor Trevor, and poor Tam :hug

You are trying so hard too!

I really do feel for you over this. I hope your plecs pull through.

BTW, I also fight with low PH and my LFS bloke told me to put crushed coral in the tank, but he told me to put it in the foot of an old pair of tights, tie the bag loosely and spread out over the top of the filter pad/sponge.

This makes it easier to add or remove coral as needed and it's not messy.

Hope that helps :)

Oh Tam, I'm so sorry! Poor Trevor....

Best of luck with the plecs - how are they doing now?

oh tam im so sorry you lost him too :crying:

big hugs and kisses :tou:bighug:rip:

if you ever need to talk hun :)

Guest becky

The beginning of this story was horrible enough. I can't even find the word to express my sorrow over the loss of Trevor. :cry1

Oh, Tam! I am so sorry to hear this - this is just terrible! You pictures... are just devastating :cry1 I know it was hard for you but it is helpful to everyone that you shared them with us. I immediately thought of pH crash, too, but I have only ever read about them - I had no idea just how qucikly they can do their damage...

I have been away all week for another crisis so I am only now getting caught up - I am sorry I was not here sooner to express my sympathy but please know that I am thinking of you... and Dusty, De Jacamo,Pudge, Asher, Lucifer, Zorro, and Trevor. :tou They are safe now and swimming free in perfect water. :angel

Please keep us updated on the plecos! :heart We have fingers, fins, and paws crossed!

Guest Mrs. Raven

Tam:

I am a new goldfish person... I want to thank you for your postings and photographs of your goldfish. The discussion which followed was very helpful for me to help understand and keep a focus on water chemistry with a new tank.

Without question, you have helped many of us by sharing your experience. I am a wee bit embarrassed to say I started out thinking this was pretty simple...it's a little more than a goldfish in a clear, glass vase.

For those of who truly are devoted and understand the responsibility for creatures we bring into our lives, it is quite painful to have such an experience. The pain, however, is a reflection of your character...and that is something in which you should take great pride.

Toothless is right...the learning curve IS steep. I bailed out of chemistry in high school...more a failure of the educational system to provide relevance in teaching than any lack of ability on my part. To understand the process of how to moniter and manage the chemistry starts to look very relevant. Your experience has made a clear point to us beginners that minding the chemistry and understanding we have created a "biosphere" (spelling ?) is serious.

With a little help from your friends who have shown concern, I hope you keep moving forward as this is a great hobby for a young person. Not being a young person in real life, but young at heart, it wasn't that long ago I was young and such activites were extraordinarly important in keeping on a sound footing in life.

My heart goes out to you...you are a good fishkeeper. We have all learned a great deal from your experience and without a doubt, you have helped me and others as well.

Mrs. Raven

Thank you Mrs. raven.

The plecostomus's are finally fine and I can say that with great confidence. Yesterday I dismatled the 55, no more gravel just the driftwood (To answer your question Fishmerised, it's been in there for well close to 8 months before this happened.) and the plants. The pH has set at 7.5, amonia reads 0ml. and Nirites are <0.3ml. The filters are still running and I'll wait the three weeks it takes to re-cycle then think about any fish. But in memmory of my lost souls...

Savingthelostsouls.jpg

Thank you ALL for your love and support it's helped me along with this terrible accident. That's the end of this story, further inquiries will be posted in water chemistry.

thats going to be a great picture... I hope there are toaster in heaven :D because Im sure goldfish love waffles.

Im so sorry for all your losses...

if you need a silver lining, you do get to go fish shopping. (sorry if that comments inapropriet.... i can be pretty dense sometimes)

Wow Tam that is a great drawing!! can't wait to see the end result! :o

Mmm toast :) I'm sure your goldies are happy in that paradise.