Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Dusty, De Jacamo, Pudge, Asher, Lucifer, Zorro.

I'm at a loss of words, in shock, horrified, broken hearted, puzzled and mourning. This morning at 5:30 am Mom went to work, check on the fish and saw nothing out of the ordinary. 3:30 pm I get a call, "Tamatha, you're fish are dead you need to look at this, but hun, brace yourself for what you're going to see." I tear down the street to my Moms, she stops me before I look, tells me again, brace yourself. I hold my breath, walk in the door, look and let it out slowly for fear of vomit. My babies, my loves, my life, lie petrified, covered in a white film like stones at the bottom of some toxic lake. Thier faces frozen in a state of agony, gasping for help, their last breath was never finished...My God, I will never forget the looks on their faces.

I couldn't take it, the wave crashed me onto shore sobing and confused, broken and mamed. It was like the volcano of Pomei. I hugged the glass hoping for my baby Dusty to move, to gasp anything for a sign of life. Trevor shuddered and gasped, quickly I set up a 5 gallon with a filter, methylane blue and airstone, two plecostomus appear at the surface, they're rushed out. Gathering my emotions I burry my six in my backyard. I'll deal with the tank later, for now I'm not sure if Trevor and the Plecostomus will make it.

The tank was a 55 gallon, newly set up on Sunday. Running on 170 (3 months), 100 (one year) bio-wheels, air bar ect. Amquel+ was used to dechlorinate. The readings in my tank Sunday were pH 6.5 Amonia .5ppm Nitrites 0ppm Nitrates 0ppm nothing out of the ordinary, I didn't check the params today, I can do that tomorrow.

Here are links to pictures. I WARN YOU, THESE ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, young children and those with weak stomaches I URGE you NOT TO LOOK!

Tuesday

Today, Pudge

Today, Dusty, De Jacamo, Zorro

Dusty, close

Trevor, Plecostomus

OMG! Im sooooooooooooooo SORRY! ooff... My gowd..

Looks like bodyslime, or body fungus, but wildly out of controle! just a question, whats your pH at in the tank. like test it.... because we had something like that from a sudden pH crash at work... almost Identical, and in 3 tanks, at different times (but all during a re-cycling process). My manager swore up and down it was body fungus, but it turned out their skin was sloughing off because of the acid water.

we ended up adding a bit of coral to every tank to try and buffer against it EVER happening again.

Im so sorry hun. *huggles*

Edited by magickzzl

OMG! That looks horrible!I'm so, so sorry. :heart What happened to them

I hope trevor will make it. :heart:grouphug

I test them at petshops because I'm poor and cannot afford new test kits, so I can't untill tomorrow, but that's a good thing to watch for, and tip about the coral.

I duno what happened to them, what could kill, like this...is a 12 hour period? Nothing was in the tank, or got in, the garage door is locked during the day, no one goes in there.

oh no.....what a horrible thing to happen :( I'm so sorry Tam :cry1:hug

ya, then definently check that pH.. someone told me it can drop during a cycle... and like I said, our fish looked just like that :(

Good luck with Trevor. hopefully it isnt a disease!

Im sorry to hear this Tam. :cry1

This was most definitely a pH crash. Their slime coats were peeling off and there was no other slime being produced to replace it. This is as dire as it gets for fish......

Off the top, you REALLY need to know what the KH of your local tapwater is. I suspect that it is very low for the pH to drop so quick. I also suspect that it was the ammonia building up in the water that caused whatever KH that was there to be used up rather fast.

ASAP, you hsould have your tapwater in a glass and to the petshop to be tested for gh and KH. pH too. I think you are going to need to buffer your filtration units with some crushed oyster shell and start using baking soda to raise your KH at EVERY watrchange. Start a thread in the water chemistry forum for some great help in figuring the amount of baking soda you should be using.

Also, it would be VERY wise for you to invest in some test kits. I know its not cheap but they last you for over a year. Do whatever it takes. Things like this wont happen when you have them. You'll know the minute something is going wrong if its your water or not....

Again, I am sorry to hear that they all died. Keep your sick ones watrer as perfectly clean as you can and he might just make it. I just helped someone last week that had a pH crash and nothing but VERY clean water was used for a full recovery of all the fish. PERFECT water is a must for this.

Good luck, Tam.....

Paul

Thank you Paul. I'm going to do that tomorrow, take tap and my water to get tested, I have $10 on me, so I'll see if they have individual tests for that.

I'm going to have to dismantle the 55, re-cycle it and keep the hospital in perfect condition. Those are my top priorities.

My poor babies, I still feel so guilty.

I'm sorry :cry

I dont know why I had to look at the pics...They made me slightly cry-They seemed like beautiful gf :cry1

I'm so sorry :cry1

It's ok Tam. :hug

The learning curve for successful fishkeeping is a VERY steep one. Most of us learn in just the same way you are, trial and error. Its a rocky start, I agree, but you will be THAT much better of a fishkeeper for having gone through this. Trust me....... ;)

Instead of breaking down the 55 and disinfecting it, just give it a good vacuuming, a very large waterchange and rinse off the filterpads a bit. It will re-cycle itself with the aid of fishfood dropped into it every other day. I would say that within a week or two, it should be re-cycled. Unless the pH dropped low for long enough to kill off ALL the good bacters. It certainly WAS teetering on the edge of what they start dieing off at.

Paul

I'm sorry to hear that.. I know how shocking it is early in the morning and seeing your fish like that.. :cry1

You're absolutely right Paul, but man, I had Dusty for 2 years and it just kills to think that something so preventable could have been overlooked. We were so attatched, he would dance with me, I would stand in front of the tank, dance and he would wiggle and turn when I did, our routine...And he was reunited with his best friend Trevor, they were apart for a year then I put them together and it was as if they never forgot eachother, Trevor was next to Dusty as he lay dying.

That chinese proverb, when a fish dies it took some evil intention that was aimed towards it's owner, I think of that and it sort of helps me believe they passsed with at least a good intention. Nothing is ever easy, but losing your best friends are devestating.

aww, that is so sad. You had such little to no time to help them because it happen so fast. :blink: Sorry this had to happen to you and your fish :cry1 Hope you feel better soon and your other fish make it! :heart

I'm very2 sorry Tam....i never imagined a Ph crash can do something like that to the fishies....i'm gonna get a test kit very soon...dont want that to happen to me....sigh, what grim last few weeks we got

Tam~

I am heartbroken at the moment, You are a strong person to deal with such a tragdedy...

I am sorry for your loss and sorry that you had to endure such a sight so awful.

But Tam this is not your fault and your not a bad person nor a bad fishkeeper..These things happen and I think Paul is a very knowledable man and knows what he is talking about.

I am thinking bout you hun, If you need to talk you know where to find me...Take care and hang in there. :heart

Oh Tam :cry1 I just can't tell you how sorry I am for you and your sweet fish babies! :cry1 It wasn't your fault, hun and you will be able to prevent something like this in the future ( and I suspect you have made a lot of us even more aware of what can happen, so we will pay better attention!). I am keeping fingers and fins here crossed for Trevor and the plec! :grouphug

Oh my God Tam....I saw your babies names in the "most recent topic" and I was hoping you were only going to show more pics of them in their new home...I started crying for you right away. I'm so sorry....I can't even imagine...

I hope trevor and your pleco pull thru. Sending tons and tons of luck and happy thoughts their (and your) way.

Edited by Kissy

TamtheLittleBlackMoor, soooooooo sorry for your loss. Words cannot describe our feelings.

We immedietaly tested our tanks. It turned out to be 6.9 and 6.2! We have been constantly testing amoina and nutri, but had much less concern of the PH, since we sort of rely on superior quality of the city water (we do change water frequently and the water comes out of the tap around 7.2-7.3)

Our Ruby is the one in the tank with 6.2 PH level. He looks and acts all right. Maybe it had been slowly lowered somehow and he is definetly an adaptor.

We quickly put in a tinny amount of baking soda in the water and bring it back to perfect 7.

Now I wonder if the PH level explains Ruby's altered personality.

Again, so sorry for your loss, but your loss has already raised our awarness of ph...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Hang in there.

Slugger

cry1 Tam,I am at a loss for words right now..How devastating this must have been for you. I too am truely sorry for the massive loss in your life. :heart

Oh my ..., Tam, that's just so tragic, I am really feeling for you, my throat's all tight. That's such a horrible situation.

Good luck in recovering trevor. Keep us updated.

:cry1:heart

Edited by Tosakin in Oz

Tam~ I can't say anything more than what everybody else has said, and I know words are not enough during this difficult time, but please know that you have lots of shoulders to cry on, and support from all of us. I'm so so so sorry. I'm praying for Trevor...I hope he'll pull through, if he fought this far, maybe he's still stubborn enough to keep up the good fight. Love ya girl... :heart:flowers

:cry1 I am so sorry Tam!

That must have been the most awful shock and so upsetting. My heart breaks at their photos

:grouphug

I sure hope Trevor pulls thru! I will be thinking of him and you.

Oh sweetheart - i'm so sorry for your loss :heart . It's a tragic and unfair way to show how important ph is and I just wish you didn't have to suffer this :(

My thoughts are with you :cry1

Oh Tam, what can I say :hug

What a shock! I feel for you so much :cry

I know what the empty tank syndrome feels like ... but I really, really hope that Trevor and the plec pull through for you.

Hopefully your fast action will save them. You were so brave. I really admire your quick thinking!

We battled with low PH all the time we had fish, and I had just got it level at a respectable 6.8 with the help of crushed coral, so it does help. I never knew how bad the effects of a low PH could really be though until I read this.

One good thing from this tragedy, you will have made alot of people more PH aware now.

I cant believe the amount of fish that we have all lost this past week. :unsure::cry1