My Diy Hood Is Ready At Last!

33 posts in this topic

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

It's 80cm x 50cm.

Looks like it's workin fine at the moment... :D

Edited by kflynt2004

I'm impressed, what kind of lighting do you have?

:)

Arcadia Original Tropical.

This fluorescent tube is specifically conceived on the emphasis of red and blue peak values of the natural daily light, which are necessary for photosynthesis. The created spectrum works in such a way that fluorescent features of the fish are particularly emphasized. It seems as you still more brightly would radiate. The tube spreads an easy breath of Purpur/Pink, whereby a particularly warm appearance is given to the aquarium.

4 x 25W

the biggest that could be placed in there... :krazy:

Got any pics of it over the tank?

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

man that looks good, so those are little fans rite?

Excellent workmanship, Kflynt! :D

I remembr how you constructed your first one only to find that side lighting wasn't exacly efficient......

I am going to pin this for you..... ;)

Paul

wow :blink: great job! those are computer cooling fans :D any chance for u to tell us step by step how to make it?

Excellent workmanship, Kflynt!

I remembr how you constructed your first one only to find that side lighting wasn't exacly efficient......

:rofl yes... i was workin all day, and after posting here i realised that light should be placed only above tank and i was like " :ill "
I am going to pin this for you.....

great news! thanks!!! :D

wow  great job! those are computer cooling fans  any chance for u to tell us step by step how to make it?

im really excited you are interested. :krazy:

yes just plain computer cooling fans.

I will do a step by step guide soon! But I will have to warn you. It's exactly like I want it. Kinda like my "dream-hood", but costed me lots of money. :wa

It's better to cost a lot of money rather than taking shortcuts and be disappointed by the result ;) step by step guide yay! :D

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

so you put a glass between the tank and the hood so the stuff don't get wet?

nop. that stuff is on the top of the hood. light tubes are above the water and all cables are fully insulated with silicone.

I think that Jimmy might have been referring to the fact that the bulbs can/will get wet. :huh:

But, the beauty of flourescent lighting is that they are, for the most part, able to be used in "wet locations". As long as the capacitors and stuff are slightly insulated from a direct stream of water, the lights can run without any problems.

For instance, a few years ago, I was using too small of a flourescent strip on a tank. It was balanced, somewhat precariously, diagonally across the tank rim. Well, I came home one day to find that it had dropped into the tank! And it was still shining bright. Luckily, this was a turtle tank and the water level was too low for the whole lamp to fall in. I dont think that the capacitor/generator was submerged but a full half of the bulb sure was. Nobody was hurt and the fish and turtle in the tank are still alive to this day.... :)

The tube plugs are not plain plugs. They insulate the electrics and can be used near water (but not underwater :krazy: )

all other stuff (ballasts, cables, etc.) are on the top and 100% insulated.

I wanna see this bad boy in action..... :D

What are the fans for?

Cooling the air in between the lights and the water surface. Fourescents, although having a very cool running temp, can generate lots of heat if more than one or two are used. So, you have to cool the air in between so that the water temp stays stable between night and day. ;)

Paul

Guest goldfishlover000

CAN SHOW US A PIC OF IT IN WORK PLZZZZZZ :)

wow! great piece of DIY! wheres this step by step? ;)

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

I am no expert, but I have a thought, could you affix a sheet of clear plastic or glass to protect the lights. . . . no if the lamps heat up. . . . ponders on this

I wanna see this on the tank!!! :krazy:

looks great!!

cant wait to see it in action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

im trying to make a hood for my new tank, and im ithinking about the humidity problem.

so, after putting in 3 computer fans at each side i think they might have problems because of water condensing on them. also my largest dojo loach who is the most suicidal fish ive yet to meet (jumped out of the tank 7 times and counting) might see them as a fun way to make me go mad. any ideas guys?