Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SandJ

Food

Guest SandJ

Hey guys,

Whats a good food to buy my goldfish. Have floating pettlets but have read these are bad. Whats a good brand in aus?

Thanks

not sure... I'm still using up my spirilina flakes. I soak them for about a minute before i put them in my tank. It makes it easier for the fishies to eat.

But yeah i'd like to know too for future reference.

Nutrafin basic floating pellets are good. They appear to get soft and squishy very quickly when wet and when the fish poos it is a mushy poop, not a hard one.

Has anyone feed cucumber? I picked up a cucumber instead of a zuccinhi so I decided to give it a go. My fish gobbled it up and it appeared to help my floaty pearlscale too, she was swimming properly and not upside down for the first time in weeks.

I peeled the cucumber, cut it into small bite size pieces and nuked it in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

Never tried cucumber! might have to give it a go sometime. I feed cooked pumpkin sometimes - it's real mushy and they seem to really like it.

Guest SandJ

I give mine pea's as a treat but you have to take the shell off first or so I read. Tried to get some sinking food today but pet shop didn't have any. Does anyone know where I could get some in newcastle area? Can I make my own???

Thanks

U can make floating pellets to sink. Just soak them in water until they're soft then pinch them. That'll make the pellets sink. U have to soak all pellet food anyway cos they're hard as rocks :D .

U might wanna try Hikari Lionhead. It sinks and my goldies likes them very much.

AAHHH 100 posts!!!! time to upload pics & avatar muahahaha!

Congratulations on your 100th post d golem. :nana

I have often thought of pumpkin but never got round to trying it. Thanks for the tip benno.

Sandj, sorry I'm not that familiar with Newcastle area but check out the thread on aussie forum about online shops. They have a large selection of food that can be ordered.

Hey Annette, I was reading on another post, that someone uses pumpkin and their fish gobble it down! I might have to chuck some in in my next batch of gel....

:)

I'm not familiar with the newcastle area either but where I am most shops carry Wardly and Nutrafin brands. I use them for my flakes and spirulina. My bloodworms and tubifex is a brand called "Today's" so far they been very popular with my fish.

Guest yabbie

I feed mine anything. They're all little piggies. Mostly freezdried bloodworms, wardleys gold flakes, elodea (miles of the stuff I wish they wouldn't) and gel veggies. They look at me funny if I give them whole veggies.

If I run out of food I give them chook pellets. They LOVE chook pellets, but they're a bit messy. Wouldn't recommend it.

I buy hikari lionhead pellets, i'm pretty sure its their only sinking pellet :P My fish go crazy over them, but then again they go crazy for anything that can fit in their mouths! They love zuchinni and peas too :) poor snail, he hardly gets to touch any of the food...

Guest frenzal

i feed my pearscales "hikari Lionhead" they seem to love it and its high in protien which helps with growth, especially the crown pearls. you can buy it at pet barn stores price varies though at some petbarns its almost $15 and around about $8 at others, those prices are 100g packs

My guys get Hikari Gold Mini pellets... I just soak them in a teaspoon of tank water till they are soft, then 'pinch' them between my fingers as I fed them to the gang... they sink and my fantail has never had 'bum-floaties' since I changed to feeding this way :)

live: blood worms, baby shrimp. frozen: hikari blood worms, baby shrimp (2 different kinds) hikari oranda gold and hikari lionhead... they also get veggies on sundays..

I didn't think you could get Hikari here but obviously you can! I hope it's in Adelaide stores too, I'll have to check tomorrow!

Guest goldenswimmers

Hikari range...cant go wrong when you look at the quality of fish it produces in Goldfish shows throughout Asia.Grab the lionhead product for your ranchus as you dont want them to get bloated and this is a great product for improving headgrowth and you'll notice it after a month of regularly feeding.Bloodworms and Hikari are a winner(Adding some green matter if you can get some like nice clean duckweed along with that Hikari and the bloodworms = a goldfish sizzler!)

And Satchi go online to grab the best price for Hikari.These guys should pay me for the promo but ezipet.com.au has the best prices i have seen and im interstate and I have always gotten my order within the week!!!