Sign in to follow this  
Tosakin in Oz

?goldfish Pheremones

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who knows, or has had the same experience as me.

I want to know if female goldfish release pheremones into the water.

I've had this experience of all of my males ganging up on one of the females. In particular I have this randy little 1" pearlscale, a real little adolescent, has only shown his breeding tubercles in the last month, and he was incessently badgering a 3.5" blue and brown butterfly-tail. She would hide behind flower pots down the other end of a 6ft tank while I distracted the pearlscale, then immediately when I stopped gaining his attention he swam directly to where she was hiding and again started bashing into her side, sticking his nose up her a%$#. He was so excitable shimmying and swimming really fast.

I eventually had to take out Blue and put her in another one of my tanks which only has girls in it, She was so battered and bruised. The funny thing was that for about another 10 minutes after I took her out the pearlscale was frantically swimming around all the places she had been hiding (behind the flower pots where there is not much water flow). after a while he stopped frantically swimming around, and jsut resumed his pre-tubercle cruisy, floating round, "hangin' with the boys" manner.

I know that male gf do chase female gf, but does anyone out there have any data out there about goldfish pheremones and whether females release these hormones all the time, or when they're coming into season? or some other reason.

Cheers!

In my vertebrates class we learned how one frightened/injured goldfish will release chemicals to warn any other fish near by. I would assume that females can do the same type thing when they are ready to mate, nearly every other animal out there does :)

I have had a similiar experience only to find a hundreds of eggs the next morning...I think your goldies were in the middle of some good love making... :lol1