Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Bubble Eye's Eye Fell Into Her Bubble!

This is the best I could do, she was sleeping and pretty still otherwise she's swimming all over foraging for pellets.

c01b3b99.jpg

Is it not possible that the buble just pushed out her eye? The other eye looks under pressure too and it looks as if the buble pushes it up, out of the eyesocket :huh:

Sheesh, that looks nasty. It looks like some kind of ulcer healing on the eye from the picture. Do you have any idea how she damaged her eye and bubble?

Also, do you see any regrowth of the bubble at all?

I think I might ask a few of the other mods to look at this. Maybe someone has some other ideas.

:( That looks exactly how Louie looked when he injured his eye.Never did figure out on what.The only thing that I could figure was one of the Filter intake tubes.They were spawning at the time,so that's a possibility too.I'm with touchofsky on this.The only thing I did was keep the water readings perfect so no secondary infection set in.If I'm not mistaken,I may have treated with a Little Melafix. Louie turned out fine of course,but his eye never did look the same.

Wow, this is sure an interesting problem! I have read through all the posts and in my opinion, at first it looked almost like he had popeye on the injured eye. I have had my fish bump into things (they are quite klutzy, especially if breeding!) and get a major popped-out eye like that. I had one injure his eye so badly that it swelled out and looked just like a celestial for a few weeks (just the one eye) and then as the swelling went down it went back to normal.

I have seen bubble eyes injure themselves a lot like that. When we get them in at work, the manager just dumps them into whatever tank is available, and some tanks have sharp rocks and decorations in them, and no intake protectors. More often than not though, the bubbles will return after an injury, though they may not be as big. I have also seen lots of bubble eye mutations where only one eye will be bubbled, or the eyes may lie unevenly.

Im wondering if the bubble just eventually popped due to the pressure inside. Or maybe it was just a coincidence that it popped, such as maybe he ran into something. Also, in such a crowded tank it makes sense that a fellow tankmate may have nipped at and injured him. When I was growing out my koi and shubunkin babies and they were crowded, I saw a lot of abnormal aggression among them as well as some injuries.

If it were me I would put him on a good antibiotic like Maracyn 2 or nitrofurazone (use a hospital tank, though?dont subject healthy fish to it). That should ward off any infection or hopefully cure one if there is one. Isolating the fish would be a good idea though because other goldies are often drawn to injuries and may just continue to peck at it and irritate it.

Good luck and keep us posted. Also thanks for the pics, they help out immensely! In the future another bubble eye owner might be helped by those. :)

Thanks a million everyone. Devs I'm with you, I really have no idea how this happened or what caused it. Well, now I'll put her in a QT and look for some Maracyn 2 and/or nitrofurazone/melafix. Glad to know it's nothing life threatening if it can be treated.

EDIT: Too add, there are no signs (that I can tell) of her bubble re-growing, will it stay this way or do you think eventualy a new bubble will fill in? It will be crammped quarters for the others untill December/January I'm afraid. The 5 of them are going into a 55 gallon then though, should I keep her seperated or is it big enough that she has room to mingle?

Edited by TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Casey, my bubble eye has lived with other fish (4 others) in a 66 gallon tank and I have never noticed anyone picking on him. This tank is heavily planted, too, so maybe that helps. As bubble eyes get larger, they become rather slow fish and tend to rest on the plants. I am going to change my 66 gallon over to an "all bubble eye tank". I just recently purchased 3 baby bubble eyes and they are in quarantine now :) . Now that Casey is getting so large, I just feel it would be better for him to be with other bubble eyes.

As for whether the bubble will regrow; as I mentioned before, Casey once tore his bubble very badly and it was plastered to the side of his head. I really didn't think it would regrow, but it looks perfectly normal now, although it did take quite a while for it to come back.

I hate to be a pest, but if you could get a picture of the bubble area, I could see if it looked like Casey's.

Ok, then I'll just have to but a lot more plants/make "safe" areas. No worries Touchofsky, I'll try to get a better picture.