Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
purple

Prolonging Dropsy?

I've got a fish that came down with dropsy, and I've got some metro-med being shipped.. but I was wondering if there was anyway to slow down the progress of dropsy?? would lowering the temperature help slow it down?

i don't think lowering the temp will help, if anything i would raise the temp, the immune system gets stronger in warmer temps, i think :)

EDIT: here we go Dropsy details: Dropsy

hope itn helps till meds arrive. :0

Edited by Lozbug

as with anything, warm temperatures make molecules move faster... the immune system is "stronger" in warmer temperatures because the metabolism rate is up. I want the progress of dropsy to slow down.. and warm temperatures will probably speed it up. not only would the immune system/metabolism rate go up in warmer temperatures, so would the bacterial infection or whatever else is inside causing the problem.

Guest Phreno

Yes, but you WANT to raise the temp. Its because the fish can help itself better in a higher temp. And I dont think the temp will have THAT much of an effect on the bacteria. Besides, its mostly the epsom salts that help with the bloating problem. Treat the fish with maracyn 2 and then 1 untill the meds arrive, add epsom salts, and raise the temp. I had to wait a week for my medigold, and the fish is doing great now. :)

temperature would make no difference without other mthods such as salt also, higher temps somehow helps the fish to realise the fluids conected with dropsy better though, so loz is right, rasing the temp would help,

if you lower the temp, the fish would just hold the problem easier... i can only suggest rasing the temp and salting with espon salts untill meds arrive...

Kev

can't really add much more, i would raise temp & treat asap.

really! i've read here and there that epsom salts are more detrimental than helpful for dropsy, but i suppose it's worth a try...

Guest Phreno

That's wierd. I've been using them since mine got it, and the swelling on one has gone down 91%, the other about 45%. I do know that aquarium salt isn't good during dropsy though.

While I waited for my meds to be shipped I raised the temperature and used Epsom salts. This because My fish had developed some really large blisters on and around it's head and under each scale. It was sooo sad. Anyway I also used epsom salts and some Over the counter dropsy treatment from the pet store to help while waiting the 48 hours for shipment. But the temp was raised to 80*plus and I turned up the bubbler to max.

My fish (Whitey) actually did very well on treatment. I treated her for almost 2 months. Her swelling went right down and she was active again. It was like nothing was wrong. I had to euthanize her one morning. I'm sure it was due to the dropsy.... but it was almost like she had reversed her symptoms and actually got really skinny and her body as hard as a rock. Poor thing.

I wish you the best with this horrible sickness. The faster your fishy is treated the better chances you have. I would even talk to KOKO about it as she has a fish that survived a case of dropsy.

I agree with what others said, but just wanted to whish you best of luck with your fish! I lost a fish to dropsy recently, and it was really rough; he had it for three months, and I think there isn't a way to 'slow down dropsy,' and think it depends on how strong your fish is or how strong the dropsy hits them. Another of my fish just got dropsy Tuesday, and I've been feeding him my Metro-Med and his scales have gone back down on Thursday morning. I also used epsom salts to help with the bloating, and it definatly helped. I have heard different variations on the dosage however; some say its 1/8th of a teaspoon per five gals, others 1/8 per gal, so for future referance, what has everyone who has administered epsom salts used for dosage?