Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
PodgyGoldy

Lump On Dojo Loach Tail

37 posts in this topic

Ph - 8.0

NitrIte - 0.0mg/l

NitrAte - 50-60mg/l (Because tapwater is 50mg/l)

Anyway, i bought a dojo loach at the begining of this month and it had the top abit of his tail cut off(Maybe Finrot?), it was healing until last week the tail showed a horizonatal line of blood streaks connecting to this yellowish lump(1/2 the size of this smiley --> :) )

The edges around the tail is regrowing but the edge behind the lump is not showing any signs of regrowth :(

My question is, is this tumor? If it is tumor can i treat it?

Thanks

I forgot to say that the lump is yellowish in colour & not round but alittle bit bumpy, and today on the lump it has 2 ich spots on it so im treating it with Protozin right now...

sounds like his wound got infected. id try some antibioticsto see if it clears up. Should wait for some one else though. im sure she will get straitened out Rob, no worries!

Im sure she will get straitened out Rob, no worries!

:ignore Finally a reply :D:heart

Thanks Meg! I hope so too.

lol i understand why your worried, but what your explaining sounds like a very puss filled pimple to me. Just might of gotten snagged and gotten infected.

If it is a pimple filled with puss how do i treat it?

Jeez Rob, I dunno what to tell u! If you could catch him in a net, and feel the tumor, is it soft, or hard? I think Meg's diagnosis of an infected sore sounds pretty possible. I wish I could offer more help! :unsure:

I finally managed to catch him... But after i catched him he got cherry red barbles(Stressed?) It took me 7 mins.

Anyway its soft & has some blood supplying to it... I think it's a pimple...

Hi Podgy. :)

I think Meg may be right about it being infected. But the cause of the infection seems to have been ich. The way ich works is that the young "swarmers" are released from and egg in the gravel. These swarmers begin swimming about looking for a fish to attach to. Once it finds a fish, it peirces the fish slime and skin and buries its head in with an ancor. I believe that the pus filled sore you are seeing is caused ich piercing that particular area of the tail.

If your Dojo is still eating and doesn't seem too bothered, just concentrate on treating the ich successfully, the infection should clear up on it's own. Dojo's are a rather hardy species of fish. They can tolerate quite a bit. Just keep an eye on the wound and let us know if anything changes.

I hope this helps quell your fears a bit. ;)

Paul

The thing is i successfully treated the ich & redosed it(as the label said) and the ich came on the pimple after 1 week(Weird...)

He is still eating & acting normal tho, so im treating the ich right now... Hopefully its the ich that's causing the pimples...

The ich is gone today :D & im currently treating him with melafix for the sore.

Don't stop the salting just yet! :o

Just because the ich is gone from him, doesn't mean that the ich is gone from your tank. You have to keep salting until it has been at least 5 days since the last time you saw ANY ich whatsoever. Otherwise, the eggs that have been laid in the bottom of the tank will hatch and the swarmers will begin the invasion anew..... :unsure:

Paul

:( Sorry Rob,didn't mean to act or seem like I didn't care,hun.I was on my 80 hr. work week,which means about 8-9 hours,to sleep/eat/shower & be back out the door.Sounds as if you've gotten some good advice here,so just follow through with it.Toothy's right with that Ick though,just because it"looks" like it's gone,doesn't always mean that it is.Good luck!!!! ;)

*Update*

I think the lump is going smaller(It may be still the same).

The yellow stuff around the the pimple shell is still there :(

Hi Rob :)

Any chance of a pic?

Is your loach still acting ok?

Does he come looking for food at feeding time?

Paul

Heres a pic but the quality is not that good... :(

WLDP.jpg

Ferret is acting like he always does & he does come looking for food then eats it, it seems like the lump+ the yellow stuff near that edge don't bother him at all.

Edited by PodgyGoldy

Ah, since it is on his actual tail fin, it could be some time before you see the spot diminish totally. As long as he continues to eat and is active, you should be good to go! :)

Can you do me a BIG favor, go to your photobucket account and click on the edit button for that picture and reduce it to about 25%. Its too l;large to view on most of our computers..... Thanks!

Paul

Actually, it DID work. Did you try to do it a couple of times while looking at the pic in another window (here at kokos)? If so, when you reduce an image on your photobucket account, you have to refresh the page your veiwing the picture on (here at kokos) for the picture to show up as reduced. Otherwise, no matter how many times you reduce the image in the photobucket window, the photo on your kokos window will remain the same.

Did that make sense?

For example, the photo you tried to reduce a couple of times is now so small we can barely see anything. :rolleyes: Its all good though. I learned it just like you are. ;)

Paul

CIMG0946.jpg

It's at the top of the tail fin with the dark yellow stuff around the edge.

Edited by PodgyGoldy