Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kate11678

Help!

Guest kate11678

so i took my kids to the fair last friday, right when we were leaving my 8 yr old son saw the fish game table and wanted to win a fish ( we are a fish loving family ) anyway 5 nights and 5 fish later i notice these fuzzy looking things ALL OVER and i mean all over the bottom of my tank, so i jump on line and do some research which led me here and i guess now im a "grandma" to be so to say. i have no clue what to do or how to do it, all of the fish i have at home before these guys are oscars and parrot fish, im clueless on the gold fish family. i have read that i should remove the eggs but there are hundreds of them all over, and i have this grass stuff at the bottom of the tank so its just about imposible to remove eggs without damaging them. There are a total of 8 fish in this tank 1 algee eater, a rainbow shark and some other fish about the size of the gold fish, plus the 5 winning goldfish. they share a 30 gallon so they are not too crowded, but i cant move them all to my spare tank which is only 10 gallons and i cant transfer them to the 55 gallon because they would become lunch to my huge oscars. so i guess my question is.... "Can anyone fish sit my 8 fish for a while?" haha!! no really, what are the chances of the babies living if i just leave the eggs in there how long before they hatch and when are they going to get big enough for me to have to upgrade the size of my tank. and one more thing WHAT IS A FRY?? is that the egg or is that what you call a baby fish or what? thank you in advance for any help i recieve. kate

Guest yabbie

If you don't move the eggs, they'll probably all be eaten by tomorrow unless you have loads of plants for them to hide in. Goldfish love a good feed of caviar and don't care where it comes from.

Fry are the hatchlings which come from the eggs after about 4 days and look like sticks with eyeballs.

You could try moving the eggs to a bucket, but there is a really low survival rate. Some sort of netting partition in your tank to keep the big fish away from the eggs and later fry might work better.

Guest kate11678

thanks... i looked around for some netting type stuff all i came up with is a couple of pairs of panty hose and that gripe right shelving stuff thats kinda rubberish ( looks like a rubber net ) will that work or do you think the fish might try to pick and eat the rubber? my kids are in bed so i cant leave and the fish have been picking at the grass stuff for a while im sure they are having a feast i keep giving them fish food so they will leave the eggs alone i am sure they are well over fed by now.

Guest kate11678

ok that rubber stuff didnt work, floats right to the top, i should have known but i wasnt thinking, i have no other options so i WAS going to just leave it be and see what happens but then i looked on the right side of the tank where there were only a few eggs and i saw "sticks with eyes" and they looked at me, so with my jambalaya pot in hand i am going to save these cute sticks and eggs. i dont have a bucket, i am not prepared for this obviously, i didnt expect all this, i was just trying to let my son win a fish, who knew he had great aim.

next fair.. no fish game :) off i go to save the day. wish me luck .. somebody.... please :)

Guest Lizzy

Good luck Kate :)

For the first few days they dont need food anyhow (they get fed by their yolk sac), so just keep them in a shallow dish with a layer of the same water they came from, and they'll be fine.

If you can find a bunch of algae to put in and a few tiny plants they can also feed off of that when they do start to get hungry.

Guest kate11678

thanks lizzy.... i ended up just taking all 5 of the gold fish and the other fish out and putting them in a 10 gallon for now, i couldnt get the rainbow shark or the algee eater out but they are loner fish they kinda keep to them selfs anyway so i dont think they pose much of a threat to the eggs or fry, from what i have seen anyways. i will remove those 2 tomorrow and bring them to my office so i can turn off the filter and remove most of that water. there are way too many eggs and fry to remove so i think its just easier to take the big fish out. out of the 5 goldfish my son won, i guess by the look of all the eggs and fry, i got 4 females and one "excited" male lol :) ~

Guest yabbie

Once they're all free swimming in a week or so, you might need to swap the baby fish with the adults... 10G for five goldfish is a bit tight. Just take lots of water with you so the fry's environment doesn't change too much.

Guest kate11678

will the babies be big enough to move with out hurting them, they are so tiny now.

yes, if they are swimming freely then you may..but be careful on the moving, you dont want to injure them.

:goodluck

Marco

Guest yabbie

It would be better for them to leave them there... but then, they're so fickle anyway (my stickfish died at the rate of about 5 a week initially... mind you... a punchbowl wasn't ideal) but you need to keep the 5 big fish healthy and they obviously loved the planted tank too.

You know... you really need to hunt around for a new 40/50 gallon tank for the adults... You know you want to. Try Ebay. :D

You'll know you're a fish lover when there's no room in the house for the furniture... or the kids...

Guest kate11678

yes i am a fish lover but my problem is i am moving this weekend, and i am already pushing it by bringing jack & tony & their 55 gallon home, there is no way i can fit another big tank in this house iam moving to, i am loosing over 1000 square foot of living space in my new house. i was planning on giving my mother the 30 gallon until of course the babies came now she doesnt want it lol. i brought my girls regina & rachel to my office, i might bring the 30 gallon there too, but it still doesnt solve my problem with the extra amount of fish i am about to have i may just buy 2 more 10 gallons for my sons bedrooms, they are small enough to put on top of dressers so it wont take up space. but of course i wont know really how many tanks i will need until these little guys actually start getting big enough so i guess i will go from there. But until then i thank everyone for thier help and advise. Kate

Guest yabbie

It sounds like you're already taking better care of the goldies than most owners do. Just do the best you can. Good idea to wait until you see how many babies you have before you invest in more tanks. :D

Guest kate11678

well im trying, although i have to admit im more of a cichlid family fan then gold fish but they are growing on me :) my oscars tony and jack are my babies, the best thing about oscars is that they are loyal kinda like dogs, they greet me when i come home from work they swim to me and say hi mom!! lol and jack is a ham he loves having his picture taken, tony on the other hand hates the flash lol. i have a few pictures of them in my album thing you should check it out when you get a chance. kate

Might I suggest putting your extra fish in rubbermaid tubs with extra filter and/or airpumps :D

Oh1 and unless u didn't know...the little ones (eggs/fry) won't need your tank filled up to the top. I believe they only need like 6-8in. of water or else the pressure will crush them... :(

:cry :

Guest yabbie
i have a few pictures of them in my album thing you should check it out when you get a chance.  kate

350216[/snapback]

Where lies this mysterious "album thing" of which you speak?

yea i was wondering where the link to the album is heheh, cant seem to find it

Guest squeeker

When my fish had babies we sucked the babies out of the tank with a turkey baster. It was really easy, and we had a high survival rate, so I don't think many were injured using this method. Just my $0.02

Guest yabbie

There's a photo of my fry down in the members photo section now but it's a bit boring since they're blurry little suckers when you have the camera on the wrong setting... ie. when three rowdy nieces fiddle with your camera when you aren't looking!

Guest kate11678

the only way i know how to get to the photos on my page is by clicking on my name and it brings you to my profile then clicking edit profile then on the left it say albumbs click that and it will show you all the pics in there, just click the pic to enlarge it. im sure there is an easier way to do it, but i am known for doing things the hard way. :rolleyes: none of the babies lived, one of the goldfish died, and my parrot fish at work Regina got ick, and gave it rachael, regina died but i got rachael 100% cured, and back into my office, and a trip to wal mart to get dog food resulted in 2 more fish, betas, so i am really not too heart broken about the babies, i am BUT im not, i didnt have room for them, i didnt really know what i was doing anyway. My older son was upset but the 2 new beta fish seemed to make it all better. And i am currently giving the "overly reproducing" gold fish pregnancy prevention classes. :D

Guest yabbie
And i am currently giving the "overly reproducing" gold fish pregnancy prevention classes.  :D

361655[/snapback]

Hmmm... call me when you get to the bit where they have to unroll condoms onto bananas... I'd like to see goldfish trying to do that!

Thanks for giving us the link to the photos. It's a very busy tank. Sorry to hear about the fry. They're a lot of work.