Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mohd

Stimulate Their Spawning

Guest mohd

Hi to all,

Anyone can tell me how to stimulate my goldfish spawning, Should I low the temperature lower than 29 c' for feed something special?

Guest calico4

umm, I wouldnt know what 29 c is, as in how many degrees. YOu should have it around 72-76 degrees F . And you would want to feed them more too, and dont forget to see if you have a male and female ;) Hope that helped :)

-calico

Guest Lizzy

72-76 degrees Fahrenheit is about 22.2 - 24.5 degrees Celsius.

29 degrees Celsius (= 84.2 Fahrenheit) would be very high and not comfortable for your fish.

Make sure the tank has sparkling clean water with some bushy plants where the eggs can attach too. Feeding extra proteins will help as well.

If they spawn, dont forget to remove the eggs (or the fish) else the parents will have a nice meal of caviar!

Good luck and let us know if it works :)

Blood worms are a good way to start, Hikari's blood worm would do wonders :D , although you can try to use live blood worms, they may contain parasites.

I still remember a store in NY, china town whose sells live blood worms that was raised by the owners by having a bucket of water out in the sun... not a good idea if there's any issues with the misquitos, but the blood worms are sure to be almost germ free.

Guest mohd

That mean I must low my water tempurature to 21-22 c' right? so far, I feed them Hikari Wheat Germ

Guest yabbie

Outside goldfish usually spawn when the water warms up in summer.

Goldfish tanks aren't normally heated but if yours is then take it down to 17/18 celsius for a week or so while you feed them high protein food, and then raise it up to the low 20s, add plants and do a partial water change, maybe you can fool them into thinking summer has come... altho if they're used to tropical weather most of the time... who knows?

Not many ponds get to 29 celsius... and if they did they'd be warm, stinky and algae ridden. Is your thermometer correct?

My pond outside is about 9 celsius at the moment with four fat happy goldfish in it... it would never get over 19 and my fish spawn at 18/19.

18/19C is probably a more normal temp to keep goldfish at.

Goldfish tanks aren't normally heated but if yours is then take it down to 17/18 celsius for a week or so while you feed them high protein food, and then raise it up to the low 20s, add plants and do a partial water change, maybe you can fool them into thinking summer has come... altho if they're used to tropical weather most of the time... who knows? 

Not many ponds get to 29 celsius... and if they did they'd be warm, stinky and algae ridden.  Is your thermometer correct?

My pond outside is about 9 celsius at the moment with four fat happy goldfish in it... it would never get over 19 and my fish spawn at 18/19.

342823[/snapback]

A cold water change usually works for me :D

Guest mohd

Not many ponds get to 29 celsius... and if they did they'd be warm, stinky and algae ridden.  Is your thermometer correct?

342823[/snapback]

In breed discus for many years but never experieced in Goldfish, Discus start to spawn after changing of PH (Lower) and water change.

Can water change and lower PH to 6.8-7.0 and soften water stimulate Goldfish to spawn?

Guest mohd

In breed discus for many years but never experieced in Goldfish, Discus start to spawn after changing of PH (Lower) and water change.

Can water change and lower PH to 6.8-7.0 and soften water stimulate Goldfish to spawn?

Guest mohd
umm, I wouldnt know what 29 c is, as in how many degrees. YOu should have it around 72-76 degrees F  . And you would want to feed them more too, and dont forget to see if you have a male and female ;)   Hope that helped :)

-calico

342122[/snapback]

what should be fed? someone like to fed them with high protien food like eggs.

Guest yabbie

343428[/snapback]

I don't know about PH, my water is permanently soft but that article Maniacholic pointed you at said Thunderstorms can help!

Bizarre! :blink:

it's about barometic pressure, that is the pressure on water from the atmosphere, more pressure = rain, lightning, thunder, and more disolved oxygen in the usual water, perhaps it's the oxygen level that matters, that's why I always tend to have more spawning when I change the water with cold water in my tanks since cooler water will tend to have more oxygen.

Guest yabbie

Well as a species completely unaffected by barometric pressure... I still say Bizzarre! Imagine if we had babies everytime the pressure dropped! :blink:

I checked the temp in my fry tank and it is only 14 celsius... in a room that is around 17 (the kitchen so at dinner time it probably rises a few degrees) and they're happily growing like mad.

I'm not trying to get my fish to spawn but I noticed that when they spawn it's ususlly right after a water change. Mine spawn often.

I got a solution for you queenie use warm-hot water de-chlorify it and let it settle for a while then change the water, if my research is correct about the oxegen determining the spawning nature, warm-hot water that has cooled should have less oxygen and therefore will not induce spawning, and it'll be more ideal to scope the water from the center so the bubbles formed at the side will not re-oxygenate your water, in other words don't disturb the bubles formed at the side. you'll see once you try it.

Guest mohd

OK THAT MEAN

1. KEEP WATER CHANGE

2. GIVE ENOUGH OXYGEN IN THE WATER

3. LOWER THE TEMPERATURE.

I SEEEEEEEEEE

OK THAT MEAN

1. KEEP WATER CHANGE

2. GIVE ENOUGH OXYGEN IN THE WATER

3. LOWER THE TEMPERATURE.

I SEEEEEEEEEE

344201[/snapback]

It's a speculation, and alot of other factors are involved with oxygen

Thanks Maniacholic for the tip, but it doesn't bother me that they spawn all the time. It's just something I noticed about them. I do partial water changes twice a week and I think it would time consuming for me to have that much water sitting around cooling. But, that is very good information to have. I didn't know that about cooling warm-hot water.

Guest mohd

Normally, I keep my daily water change at least 50% or 90% dues to tank water quality. I feed high protien food then I have to keep my water in best quality.

Guest yabbie

Warm tanks, lots of water changes, high protein food... why haven't they spawned already?

Maybe plants or spawning mops?

How long have to had your fish? They may not be old enough.

And are you sure that you have a male and a female?

Warm tanks, lots of water changes, high protein food... why haven't they spawned already?

Maybe plants or spawning mops?

344854[/snapback]

are changing your tank water with cold water?

do you have enough air circulating?

do you feed 5 times a day?

if it's yes to all of them try to give the goldfish spirulina that helps alot

and btw don't do consecutive water changes the water must be warmed up a bit for the goldies to be active enough

Edited by maniacholic

90% daily water changes seems like alot? that would crash your cycle, which would stress out the fish. Stress fish are not going to spawn.

How warm are you keeping the tank? My water stays about about 65-70 deg. When I change the water it is the same temp. It seem to me the fresh cool water promotes spawning. I'm no expert on this, but it is what I've observed with mine.