Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishermoe14

How Do You Make

I was wondering how to make a sponge filter. im talkin about the kind that use the air pumps not the power heads. i also want to know if anyone knows how they work. this is driving me insane. air goes in and it filters :ill:krazy: . thanks in advance

I drew up a little diagram for you to explain. This is a standard box-style sponge filter and how it works:

post-1193-1117756354_thumb.jpg

The dark blue is filter-floss, foam or sponge.

The grey area represents carbon or bio-media or just all sponge.

The tubing running in is airline

Basically, the bubbles rising creates a moving water column (red arrows) through the open area. This water rising through the open area causes water to get drawn through the sponge and carbon (light blue arrows).

Does that help explain things better? :huh:

Paul

oh i forgot and if it does work which design would work better and be less hassle to make.

Your design is absolutely possible and a very good design too boot! :exactly

This EXACT design is made by several companies for sale at pet shops and online and such. It works extremely well if you have the right sponge material for it.

Either way you run the airline into the tube is ok, but the flow will be better if you run it into the tube from the side at the bottom.

The uptube should be no closer to the surface than 1 inch. The bigger the aerator, the better (to a degree).

You can actually purchase uptubes for undergravel filters at the local fish shops for cheap. Get the larger tube if you plan on making a large unit.

I really like these spongefilters. however, you will need several or more of these (or one very large one) to operate a goldfish tank with any kind of efficiency. But these work great for fry tanks and tanks that needs little circulation such as planted tanks and the like. They also make great additions to tanks that already have a filter but some extra biological filtration is needed.

Hope this helps! :D

ok thanks. where could i buy the "right kind" of sponge. and how much should it be for a 4x4x12 piece?

4x4x12, huh? That might be a toughie to find in one solid chunk. But, you could very easily peice two or more peices (aqua-clear500 replacement sponges) together with superglue. Superglue, once dry, is non-toxic and safe for use in aquariums.

I'll see if I can locate a good supplier of the correct sponge material for you here online.

Paul

Check this page out. You might just find that these are cheaper than buying the materials and making one yourself....

sponge-fitlers

ok thanks but i alreadly have the pvc pipe, tiles, and sealer so i guess i already started. :) could you plz tell me what the site is for the aquaclear replacements is?

I ran a search at bigalsonline.com and came up with these results: bigals sponges

I ran a serch at aquariumguys.com and found this: aquarium guys sponge

Heres another: sponges

I think you'll see a re-ocurring sponge in these results. I think you will find the first link I gave you in a previous post has the cheapest prices. At the very bottom of the page, you will find the replacement sponges for the spongefilters.

Good luck and post back to tell us how it works. :D

Paul

ok i havent been to kokos for a while... i bought a sponge from menards for like 99 cents and i made 2 filters out of it. so far the one in the water has been working well and keeping my rubbermaid bucket clean. when ever i lift the sponge up i see stuff come off of it so i guess thats a good sign. thanks alot toothless.

No problem! :D

I'm glad your filter works well. Any chance of a pic for posting? :huh:

Paul

ill post one tommorow after i wake up and take a pic of it heehehehe. im about to go to bed right now so ya tomorw there will be a pic of it here.

sorry it took so long for me to get a pic but here it is.

HPNX0042.jpg

Guest Dynamerek

a sponge and a air pump which the tube goes inside.

The air bubbles go up which the droppings go down and stick to the sponge filter

Dynamerek, stop digging up those old posts. That is the second time this happened, and it is very annoying. Together with a few other things as well. :stop