Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cameronsmum

White Spots

Guest cameronsmum

My two fish are sick - they have white spots on them - the gold one seems to be almost covered

Hopefully this pic will work:-

http://www.geocities.com/cammysmum/dsc02846.jpg

They are just lying on the ornament not moving

What can I do to get them better?

Thanks

Edited by cameronsmum

OMG?!

you better do something to tat tank of yours!

pls do provide the details of the water conditions as stated so that the appropriate help could be suggested and implemented soon... :phone

Hi cameronsmum and a big :welcome

The white spots look like ich to me (if they resemble grains of salt then they'd be the culprit)

If you can, (and as jacky mentioned) please provide as many answers to the questions in the box above but in the meantime, let's see if we can do something quickly for your ich problem.

Ich is quite nasty but fairly easy to treat. To give you some info ich basically encysts under the epidermis of your fish which causes the small white spots all over their bodies and fins. Damage to the gills is the primary way it kills, but damage to the skin with secondary bacterial infection may also figure prominently. Its life cycle is roughly 2-5 days, but can be longer (5+ weeks!) if the water is cool, much shorter if the water is warmer.

The best way to rid your fish and tank of ich is by adding 0.3% salt (any kind of salt that doesn't contain yps) and the way to do this is 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon (giving you 0.1%), then in 12 hours add another teaspoon per gallon and in 12 hours, 1 teaspoon per gallon - giving you a total of 0.3%. Once you've added the salt (at the end of the 0.3% dose) if you can, raise the water temperature to about 80 deg F as it then speeds up the cycle and once they hatch, the salt will kill them - also try to gravel vac every few days to rid your gravel of any loose tomites. You will need to keep the salt at this level for around 21 days as they have a tendency to reappear so high temp and salt will stop the whole messy cycle starting again. Another thing people recommend is methylene blue which is a great destroyer of ich but salt and heat also works well.

When you do weekly waterchanges, you should then add back the appropriate amount of salt taken out of your water.

If you can work on this first then work on trying to get your water tested to post your parameters here, we can maybe find the reason why your fish were stressed in the first place and try to resolve what may be water quality problems.

Hope this helps and please ask as many questions as you need to :D

ooops, done it again jen :):exactly what she says.

Geez Sandy - we work well together no? :lol:

spooky huh!! :lol:

Guest cameronsmum

JenW and Sandy

Thank you both for your help on this matter. You will be pleased to know that my fish are alive and well.

I read your advice and also went to the pet shop here. They gave me some blue stuff to put in the water, which has sorted them out well. Also at the pet shop they let you take in some of your fish tank water and will test it for free - how great is that?

So I have had the water tested and it was also good although the ph level was a little high, so I have some stuff to sort that out. But all in all she said it was water to be proud of.

My goldie fish seems to have lost a bit of his tail, but I'm hoping that will grow back?

I just want to say thanks for this site. you have all taught me a heck of a lot about fish, that I never even knew. I have had fish for over 5 years and I now realise that I never really knew alot about them. Although I never seemed to have a problem before either. Just lucky I guess.

Well I am definately more informed now - so thanks!

Glad to hear that your fish are doing better, Cameronsmum! That is great news!

Just remember to keep the medication in (what name does the medication have?) at least 6 days after all the spots have disappeared. That way you make sure that any remaining eggs can hatch and being taken care of by the medication. If you remove the meds too fast, those eggs will start the whole cycle again, since the meds don't effect the eggs, just the Ich in its hatched stage....

Post back soon! :)