Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  

i am so pissed off...

used to have this problem of high ammonia level and low pH few months back.

i managed to resolved this problem by putting lots of Zeolite in my filter.

now i have 0 ammonia and nitrite which should be alright for the fishes but the pH level drops to a low of 4.5!!

now i have to remove my fishes to quarantine them till i fixed my bloody tank. :blowup:

i know its tough but swearing isnt going to solve anything.

what is the ph from the tap? really i think the only way to raise the ph is to do it before adding to the tank with a buffer of some sort.

you can get tufa rock or coral gravel and also you can get african cichlid salts and additive to raise the ph too. :)

You need to start raising pH ASAP!

How big is the tank?

Please post your other water parameters?

Do you have baking soda? If not get some and get back to use ASAP.

Guest LadyAMC
Do you have baking soda?  If not get some and get back to use ASAP.

334054[/snapback]

what does baking soda do?

It's sodium bicarbonate and will increase KH (bicarbonates) which in turn keeps pH from getting acidic over time if your tap water isn't well buffered (low KH).

i know its no use swearing...

just feel so tired coming back from work and all you wish to see is your fishes all happy.

i managed to find out the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0ppm.

have added baking soda into the tank... hope to see the water getting better...

but dont you worry cos i have quarantined my fishes to a smaller tank for the time being and constantly monitoring their conditions. :)

wat else do i need to check?

Could you post your water test readings out of the tap?

especially pH and KH

How much baking soda are you adding and how's the pH in the tank doing? Ph that low will make your biofilter bacteria very unhappy.

the tap water seems fine.

now my fishes are getting better, i added half a teaspoon of baking soda and tested the water until it reached 6-7ppm pH.

but for the past few days it seems the pH will drop again gradually.

do i have to keep adding bit by bit everyday if the pH will to drop? :huh:

Right. your pH drops as the biofilter uses up your buffering capacity (KH--bicarbonates) and it produces acids which also use up KH. The larger the fish load in the tank, the faster that happens.

I'd continue to raise pH by .4 per day untill it is in the high 7s if you're not showing ammonia. Then when you do partial water changes, use baking soda to bring your pH back up into the high 7s. That should give enough buffers to keep pH from getting acidic between partial water changes. Adding crushed coral or crushed oyster shell in a bag to a high water flow area should also help, but may not be enough to maintain pH if your tap water isn't well buffered.

I'd advise buying a KH test.

Could you tell us how large the tank is and post your water test readings for your tank and your tap water?

i pretty sure its not the tap water...

but i am trying to guess if my ammonia is not rising might be due to the zeolite rocks in my filter.

should i remove them so that the ammonia level goes up and my pH can stabalize?

oh, FYI.

i only have 3 fishes...

1 oranda, 1 red and white ranchu and 1 black ranchu.

my tank is abt 2 ft x 1 ft x 1.5 ft

Yes, the zeolite could be sucking up ammonia. I'd take it out.

How's your pH doing? Have you been adding the baking soda?

oh, u mean i should remove the zeolite to increase the ammonia level?

but for how long then should i place them back?

i have been adding baking soda everyday to raise the pH up to 7. but it will go back down to 3 or 4 the next day...

If your pH is getting down to 3 or 4, and there are fish in the tank, ammonia is not what you need to worry about. That pH will kill your fish and will kill your biofilter bacteria. To be able to help you fix this, I will need to know:

1) how much water the tank holds

2) the pH in the tank

3) the pH of your tap water

and if you have it the KH of both your tank and the tap (source) water.

It would also be helpful to know how many goldfish and how big they are.

Just wanted to add that there is a GREAT goldfish product I know of, its a powerer that you put in and it boost your PH to 7.5 (ideal for goldfish) and then stops boosting it, if your local fish store does not carry it, let me know, I could find it online for you or if push comes to shove, mail it too you if you send cost+SH, I swear by this stuff, as I have low PH water here (6.0 and dropping) and it does wonders.... :exactly

Guest BlackStripe

I just found out my pH is low too (not 3 or 4) but at 6.2. My tank just recovered from severe algae blooms (got a UV sterilizer) and once the water cleared and could see my fish, one of them had cloudy eye. I've been treating him w/ Melafix for the past 10 days (w/ the UV off and carbon filters out) and I just put the filters back in about 3 days ago and stopped medicating. Now he won't eat and when he tries, shakes severely.

I just spoke w/ my lfs and they said it could be pH shock. Said I should add crushed coral.

Drgong--What is this miracle product you are talking about? Is it Proper ph? I'd rather not add any more chemicals to the tank but my fish hasn't eaten in 3 days...help!

By the way, love the names of your fish....you'll need to get another girl fish named Michelle so Tony isn't lonely! :D

Proper PH, salt, and water treatment (for water changes) are the only chemicals I use, and my fish love me for it.

was going to get michelle, but tony, who was a nnnnnn fish, died of SGDS.... :cry1

(the only loss since i started to KISS and do nothing but the PSC combo...)

Edited by Drgong