Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PodgyGoldy

How Do You Get Your Tapwater's Nitrate Down?

Im saving up for interpet Nitrasafe but i just want to make sure im spending my savings on the right product... My question is how do you get your nitrate down in tap water?

Most tap water does not have any nitrate in it - or at least an insignificant amount. If your water has so much in it that you are concerned, perhaps you should call your municipality and find out why it has so much! That is concerning.

If you water supply has a large amount of nitrate in it before you start it means that somewhere along the way there is a leakage of fertilizer into the source, most likely!

If you have high nitrates in your water, you can dilute it by using RO water as all or part of your fish water - because nitrate is a salt, it can be filtered using RO - the concentration differences are great enough that it will be filtered nicely from your water.

I use RO because I have loads of metals and minerals in my water. My pH is over 10! I have a small in house RO filter under my kitchen sink, linked to a larger collection tank in the basement below. It works well.

I am not familiar with how well the various chemicals for nitrate removal would work. I do know that Amquel+ will remove some nitrate, but it really does not do very much. I would not want to count on it to do much. :D

NitrAte is a type of salt??? RO filters are too expensive for me :'( I'll just stick to the nitrAte reducing chemicals...

partial water changes

plants

I'm trying a trickle tower. Some people say that'll help gas off nitrogen.

Guest ForeverTheBard

I use spring water for water changes because the tap water here SUCKS. It's not even good for people to drink. I was having major issues with my tank chemistry before I switched to spring water, and now my levels are perfect.

Kinda expensive, but worth it.

FTB

partial water changes

plants

I'm trying a trickle tower.  Some people say that'll help gas off nitrogen.

What does trickle tower look like? & How does help with reducing the nitrAtes?

I use spring water for water changes because the tap water here SUCKS.  It's not even good for people to drink.  I was having major issues with my tank chemistry before I switched to spring water, and now my levels are perfect.

Kinda expensive, but worth it.

:o:o That must cost $$$ Maybe you should get a RO filter?

Check out datagurus thread in tanks and equipment about her new tanks. Bother, I'm an ignoramous or I would post a link. <_< Sorry, don't know how.

I can't find it :( But i think i've seen it on goldfish photos forum it look like a square rock with a fountain pump coming out in the middle... is that it?

Pics of the trickle tower/plant filter are here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...ic=26711&st=100

Not everyone agrees that a trickle tower will help. Roddy Conrad says it works, see: http://www.koivetforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15421

and thinks calcium bentonite clay helps as well.

So I thought I'd give it a try and see.

How high is your level? Mine is at 20-40 (I discovered this while cycling) & so far my fish are fine with it (although it does bother me...but then again also have ammonia in my tap water so..... sigh....)

:D

Dunno. I just finished 2 weeks of 30% partial water changes every other day (was treating for velvet), so it's probably pretty low for my tanks. My tap water has 2.5ppm ammonia after it's dechlorinated and 10ppm nitrAtes.

I'm not convinced that it's essential to keep nitrAte under 40ppm. Need to do some more searches in the academic journals on it. The values I've seen so far for the LC50 (the level it took to kill half the fish tested) for various species are:

Salmon 1,310 ppm

Rainbow Trout 1,360 ppm

Channel catfish 1,400 ppm

Bluegill 420-2000 ppm

Guppy 180-200 ppm

Indian major carp Catla catla 1565 ppm

So it looks to me as if there is some leeway with nitrAte.

Oh and there's another gizmo that I haven't tried yet. Here's one version of it:

http://www.aquaripure.com/

basically you set up an anaerobic environment were certain bacteria grow that turn nitrAte into nitrIte and then nitrogen gas. Here are some DIY versions:

http://ozreef.org/component/option,com_web...d,109/Itemid,4/

Woah & I thought my tapwater was bad. It hasn't been bothering my fish so I'm not tinkering with my levels. MI'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes though...

Is your cycle established enough that it handles all of that ammonia? or do you do something different when doing water changes?

:D

Yea, the tanks were cycled 2/2004. so the biobugs take care of it in short order. I use prime for partial water changes which makes some ithe ammonia in the change water less toxic.

Wow. 10mg/l is the upper legal limit in the US.

the Nitrasafe sounds like a resin that absorbes nitrAte. Do keep us posted on how it works.

the Nitrasafe sounds like a resin that absorbes nitrAte.  Do keep us posted on how it works.

I will :P But it'll be like 2-3 weeks later(sorry) because i spend my ?10 savings on a test kit the other week, so i only have 2 pond left right now and that nitrasafe cost ?11.99

I hear you on the money thang. This is an expensive hobby.

I added a bunch more peace lillies to my plant filter yesterday.

Edited by DataGuru

Yea :( I wish i was you having a big tank with humongus goldies :wub:

Goldies are soooo coool. Messy beasts tho! LOL

You know... if the resin works, given your source water You may be better off with fewer partial water changes. What's your pH run?

Cool. That's well buffered. So you wouldn't have to worry about pH slipping down. I've seen gravel vacuums that suck up poop/debris, but that don't remove water.

Another thing to consider would be adding more light and bunches of fast growing plants. Check out touchofsky's set up.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...5371&hl=nitrAte

I can't buy lots of plants because i don't even have proper lighting :(

I think NitraSafe is my best option :)

Thanks for the link by the way :)

Guest Morten33

I have a pet store in my area that sells RO water.

They sell you this big container and fill it with 5gal of RO water for like 7bucks. And then you can take the container back and get a refill of the RO water for 2bucks.

You could maybe see if there is a place around you that does the same thing.

*Update*

I bought NitraSafe yesterday and stuck it in the filter for 24hrs & tested the water this morningg, the nitrAte went to 0mg/l from 50-70mg/l :D