Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Laurarose

Goldfish Behavior

Guest Laurarose

I'm terribly sorry if this question has been posted before.

I'm very new to the family of goldfish owners, so I have questions about virtually everything, but for now, I'll start off with just two.

I have two goldfish, and for right now I'm keeping them in a fairly small, plastic, lidded, bowl-like container. I'll be switching them to an aquarium within a few days, once the space is ready.

Anyway, for my first question - I've noticed that for the hour or so, they've been up at the surface around the edges of their container, and seem to be blowing and eating bubbles. I don't know how long exactly they've been doing it, but I've been watching them intently for about an hour and that seems to be what they're doing, and they do it at the same spot together, no matter where it is. Is this normal?

Now for my second - one of my goldfish in particular (Marco) seems to have a sucking fetish (haha). Yesterday (the day that I got them), I noticed he would go down to the bottom and suck at the rocks, not eating them, or even appearing to try to eat them, he just sort of sucks at them, occasionally sucking one up and then dropping it. Polo (the other little guy) sucks at them too, but not nearly as much. In addition, I have a small plastic plant in the corner that partly sticks out above the water's surface, and earlier today I noticed Marco was like.. sucking at the leafs that fall on the surface or just below it, and he wiggles around a lot when doing it. He actually just started doing it again (as I'm typing this). Again, my question is "is this normal?" I fed them once yesterday, and once today (around the same time like the woman at the pet store said I should), is it possible they're still hungry?

You need a bigger tank (20g at least). Sucking on the top shows bad water quality and or no oxygen. In your case i would say both.

They suck algea and organisms off rocks and other tank objects.

Goldfish are always hungry lol, but dont feed them any more, your tank water will go lethal fast, by raising the ammonia in there. You need a tank. - Meg

Whut kind of goldfish are they?

Hi Laurarose :D

I agree with Meg about your container. There is not enough air for the goldies and the ammonia from their waste builds up so quickly in such a small amount of water. I would get them moved into your aquarium quickly.

The fish pick at the rocks all the time looking for uneaten food and algae, etc.

They are quite the little piggies! :lol: Like Meg said, don't feed them anymore than you are while they are in the bowl. More food = more waste= more ammonia.

I feed mine in the morning and evening so when you get them moved you can feed a little more if you want. Just be careful to not overfeed. They will beg for food everytime they see you......don't fall for it :rofl

When you get your tank set up, you will probably have to do quite a few water changes (you should be changing the water in the bowl they're in now everyday) (remember to dechlorinate) while your tank is cycling so you can always post back with any ?s you have and someone will be along to help.

Welcome to Koko's! Best of luck with your fish :)

at the surface, their trying to get oxygen. their suffocating. :/

and the rock sucking.. their looking for left overs! :) try and get them an air pump till they get a tank. :)

welcome!

Like Meg asked before: what type are they? You need to know this so you can find the ideal aquarium. If they are fancies, then their aquarium will need at least 20 gals., as it is 10 gals. per fancy. If they're commons or comets, they need 20 gals. each, so a 40 gal. tank would be ideal. Sounds like alot but it isn't; it's worth getting a large tank to start with instead of having to move them later. You won't have nearly as many cycling problems if you get the proper size initially.

Post back soon!

Also, I love your fish's names!

Edited by Roano

Welcome to Koko's! :)

I just had one little thing to add to what the others have said-- Goldies love to nose around and suck on the gravel, spitting it out. Occasionally, it's happened where a piece of gravel gets caught in inquisitive goldies' mouths. It happened to my G.E.F, and I had to get the piece out using tweezers. When I upgraded him to a larger tank, I got the larger river stones to prevent any more gravel incidents. :thumb: