Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jacqht0919

Will A Pleco Cure Green Water?

Guest jacqht0919

I have a 20 gallon tank with 1 rykin. The tank has been running for almost a year. For several months, the water has been pea soup green. I can barely see my fish. I have added 4 live plants 6 months ago, to help the problem with algae. But the plants are dying off and the algae is still here.

I bought a pleco recently to help, but I am not sure if he is eating any of the algae. I haven't seen him since I bought him, because the water is so green. I have been doing 40% water changes twice a week to try to help, but I still cannot find the pleco. Is there anything else I can try to get rid of the algae? Was the pleco a good idea? Is he going to be compatible with my goldie?

Alot of Pleco are not. Whut Kind is he?

Is your tank is direct light or near a heat source like a heater? These can cause algea blooms, which is whit im sure you have.

depends what type of plec you got. the commons are a big no no. the plec will only eat the algae on the sides of the tank and on ornaments and such like.

as for the green water, how long is the light on for and does the tank get a lot of natural or sun light.

have you got readings for nitrates at all and sometimes high phosphates may be responsible for it.

posting at the same time again meg :)

what filtration are you using as well?

Edited by sandy

Guest jacqht0919

The tank is not in direct sunlight. I keep the light on for about 15 hours a day. I think the light is only 15 watts. I believe he is a common pleco, he is rather small. Should I take him back to the pet store if he is not compatible with my goldie? Is he going to hurt my goldie?

I am using a Biowhisper Power Filter. I have not changed the cartridge since I set up the tank (over a year ago). Do I need to change it? I am afraid the tank will crash if I change out the filter cartridge.

Guest alan-chen

bluestone (copper sulfate) can get rid of algae easily...but sometimes algal is helpful to your fish's health, and help you clearning the waster of water....take it easy...

good luck

Ive had the same problems in the past. I never was able to get rid of it in my ten gallon. With my 55, after a few water changes, and a bunch more live plants, the algea blooms went away, and I have crystal clear water again. I would test the water, and then get some more live plants. If you have enough plants, they'll take enough of the nutrients in the water, so the algea cant grow.

Which works better to cure algea...snails or plecos? I don't think snails can hurt goldies and they they do love algea, but I'm not sure who is more efficiant.

Well, neither snails or plecos will cure algae?they will graze on some but will not get it all, and they will not clean green water. You need to look at the underlying cause of that. Plus, adding another animal to your tank simply contributes to the waste load in the tank?they do not actually clean it.

High nitrates and excessive light will cause green water. Not changing the filter pad for a year will do it, too. That pad is so clogged not much water is able to get through so you probably have poor circulation too. You should really change out the pad about once a month and rinse it weekly.

The Whisper filters arent the best because they dont offer much biological filtration. You were right in that your biofilter is the filter pad itself and you will lose it when you throw it out. Cut out a small piece of the old filter pad and place it in the new one to "seed" it. Plus a lot of your bacteria is found on surfaces in the tank, such as the gravel, too.

Sorry if someone has already answered this, but if he is a common pleco you will probably want to bring him back. The adult common pleco can sometimes attach themselves to goldfish and suck off their slime coat, I believe. Obviously, not good. Hope I helped some. Good luck! :)

Ive also heard that you can just use the same filter pad for along time, just rinse it out in tank water every week or soo?? Ive had the same filter pad for along time now, just rinse it off every now and then.

If you have the lights on for 15 hours a day, that could be a BIG cause of green water. You should really only leave the lights on about 8 hours a day. I use a timmer, because I had such a hard time remembering when i needed to shut to lights out. It works great! I recommend them to everyone!

Good Luck, and I hope you figure out whats causing the green algea blooms. It can be frustrating when you cant see your fish!!

Hang in there!

I agree that the first step should be changing your filter pad. I cut a piece and add it inside the new pad like jsrtist said. Your filter pad can't hold anymore at this point and so your water is not being filtered properly. And I also agree that 15 hours of light is a little too much. I have seen people here suggest 8-10 hours a day. You could take the common pleco back and get a rubbernosed pleco instead. They don't get as big. Good luck, I hope you get it cleared up soon. :)

Oh and remember on the weeks when you just rinse the filter pad, rinse it in used tank water, not from the tap. :)

Edited by fishrpets

Hi,

You have gotten some great advice.

But the BEST thing is to get a UV sterilizer--I recently had pea soup water and 3 days after hooking up a Coral Life 9watt Turbo Twist UV sterilizer--my water cleared up!

Here is before:

Algae1.jpg

3 days later:

Algaegone.jpg

a pleco i have found will actually make Pea Soup worse.. just more algea food...

what i did for MINE is covered the tank with a towel, and kept the lights off for 3 days. I also did a double dose of prime (you can go up to 5 times) and i now try to keep my lights on only 10 hours or less a day.

my tank isnt green no more!!

my tank looks exactly like the one shown above... pea soup green! i am gonna follow all your advice too! as for jacqht0919 good luck! i know how frustrating it is!!! :blink:

I have also heard that barley is a good solution to pea soup green water-- it is natural and a bit gentler than some of the chemical anti-algae products out there. I think Big Al's sells it, too (at least the one in my area does). But the UV sterilizers, as Nancy suggested is probably the most efficient way.