Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fefe

100% water chnage

its been above 1 year that my fish r in the tank i have not cleaned it fully 100% i mean...changing 50% water every week since i joined here...now i thinki should change 100% water wash the gravel wash all ornaments and undergravel filters etc should i do this?

next question is where to keep the 18 big fishes, i have a big rubber swiming pool of my daughter 500+ gal, i am planing that i will put old water in that pool and my power filters along with airstones for few day will it be OK

my tank is 197 Gal.

Guest immahi

Is it a good idea to do 100% cleaning..the gravel and all?? Don't teh bio-bugs get disturbed or something? Fefe are you going to start the cycle of the tank all over again?

You can, but you'll crash the cycle and have to start over again.

Unless the tank is very dirty - and it shouldn't be if you have a regular cleaning routine going - then I really wouldn't advise it. It isn't necessary.

Some things you should do yearly though are change the fluorescent tubes as they will have lost most of their power now, even if they still look bright to you, change the diaphragm in the airpump if you have one, and throughly clean all the bits of your filter (just rinse the filter media in old tank water to get any solid goo out of it).

As for the UGF, have you been cleaning under the plate by sticking a siphon down the uplift pipe? If not, then definitely start doig this as all manner of foulness builds up under there.

Guest joanmiro

You can also try turbo start to speed the cycle.

that doesnt sound like a good idea. 50% is sufficient. Or maybe clean half the tank and do the other half later. At least you still have bio bugs in there.

I dont think you should do that at all. Its just more stress on the fish and you, and cycling a tank is a very annoying and will only give you more work. 50% weekly waterchanges is enough to keep your fish happy and healthy. You are syphoning the gravel right? B/c there really shouldnt be much junk in it if you are really cleaning it that much.

I know what you mean about a dirty tank and wanting it clean and all....but people are right you will crash the cycle, stress the fish and yourself. Today I did a mega clean of "fish with no names" tank. I cleaned the heater and parts of the filter, the little castle and rearranged the gravel and plants and cleaned the glass with my magnets, vacumed the gravel etc but all without *really* disturbing things. Yeah the water looked awful after I had finished, but the filter will take care of that in a few hours or so.....and fish with no name in none the wiser!!

:)

Maybe instead of doing one 50% water change weekly do a 25% or a little more than that twice a week :)

Is there any reason why you want too do a 100% water change? It is normally recommended too never do 100% changes.

I agree with above here. 100% water changes arent the norm. The only time I have done that is if a tank has been completely infected......If you do it now you will have to recycle the tank and place alot of stress on the fish :cat

Well guys over here most people do it every month or so i mean 100% water changes ... since i m on this site and know a lot more now about gold fishes i never did it yes i do vacum all the gravel clean the glass once a week clean all the filters.

nope i never did cleaned UGF but vacumed gravel above that.

i have a cat fish alge eater she take care of all the algee.

Water looks crystal clear all fishes are healthy no apparent problem.

Guest immahi

So..what have you decided to do finally? :D

Guest watermama

I have to agree with everyone else, doing a 100% change isn't really necessary, especially since you do such large water changes anyway. But like Emma suggested, do go ahead and put a siphon down your UG tubes and get some of the build up from under there.

I did a 100% water change along with disinfection of everything in the tank... I am sweating it out now. Even with addition of biospira, I have been doing 50% water changes for a week now and the ammonia levels are just starting to go down. I would not recommend a 100% water change unless you have a terrible disease in your tank.

You do have to get some of that stuff out of the UGF. Instead of doing the 100% water change, you could remove the gravel, lift the plate, and vacuum all the gunk from underneath.

Kingyo i trust you blindley..i think there is nothing i mean poop in the gravel as i m doing 50% water change with a syphone and clean the gravel i m too affraid to remove the plates of UGF as the tubes for all the airstones and UGF are under those plates and my tank is 197 galons how will i fix those tubes again?

:blink:

You don't have to lift the plates up - in fact with the fish in there it'd be a good idea not to! Just stick your syphon hose down under the plates to suck out the stuff that's accumulated beneath.

I doubt you would get all of the gunk out that way... I tried that before and could see the effectivity of that method (can see tank from underneath). I use my algae scraper magnet and drop a metallic piece inside the air tower. Then stir up the gunk using the magnet so the syphoon can take it all up! Too bad it only works if you have access under your tank.

Guest isy

**None of this is based on personal experience, mind, it's simply what I've read online, books and zines.** I'm sorry if I'm being the devil's advocate here but if you want your undergravel filter to continue supporting the biological load it always has then you should take the plate out to clean every 6 months- a year. The reason is stuff gets stuck in the plate and underneath it and creates bacteria that will actually eat the oxygen in your tank (it's usually called a dead zone) and that area can no longer support the nitrifying bacteria that it's supposed to because they need oxygen. I'm not sure if siphoning underneath the plate will take care of it but I'm pretty sure that it will undoubtedly support less good bacteria then it did in the first 6 months that it was working even with siphoning. If you keep the gravel, tank water and the fish in a seperate container while you clean out the undergravel system there should be enough bacteria in the gravel to induce a mini-cycle in the tank when you put it back together, that is the cycle shouldn't be as drastic as the initial cycle of the tank. It'd probably be much easier for you and the fish to add a new non-undergravel filter system to the tank and just take the undergravel filter out after a month or so.

Guest isy

P.S. If you're set on changing 100% of the water do it a month or so after cleaning the u.g.f. to limit the stress, try to keep the same pH, temperature, so forth and leave the gravel in water to keep the bacteria alive (technically then you should probably only change 90-95%)