Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ranchu_man

Does Goldfish Have Teeth?

My gf is passing white poops. Upon inspecting the white hard stuff under microscope, it looks like teeth!! I have collect 7 pcs today from the bare bottom tank of various sizes. It have a enamel coating and pointed end with a small cavity on the other end. I am quite surprise to see this but not certain it is from which gf but could be from the biggest Ranchu. Will the teeth grows back like some other animal? :unsure:

they do have grinders at the back of the mouth but i dont know why yours has lost some. :huh:

There was another thread not long ago about someone finding teeth in their tank. They have teeth back in their throats and apparently lose them sometimes. I haven't found any yet! :lol:

Yea, I have read the thread on goldfish teeth and it is really funny. I am quite surprise to see such a tooth in goldfish as you cannot really see it from the outside. Most other larger fishes teeth are quite visible though. I have collected 7 pcs and I will use a trinocular to shoot a good picture of them to share. In most cases the teeth will not be visible in a tank with gravel and most likely a lot of gf keepers like me do not know gf have teeth. It is funny that I will cut most of the life food into very small pieces to prevent choking. I think I do not need to do that anymore since they have teeth that can chew!!! :rofl

Wow, :huh:

I didn't know they had teeth.

I'll have to name mine......Jaws. :goldfish:

Slugger

Yea it's funny to think of them having teeth in there. 7 pcs....wow. How many fish are in your tank? I'm asking just because it makes me wonder if they lose the teeth quite often or if you have a few fish, maybe they all are just losing some? I do have gravel in my tank and after a few times looking, I decided that I would probably never be able to see those little teeth....so I give up! :lol: It would be great to see the pics when you get them!

I found another tooth today!! I have all together collected 8pcs. I have 9 gf, 1 Oranda, 1 Black moor and 7 Ranchus but not sure which one is loosing teeth. :D I would guess the biggest one as the rest are moderate size between 4-5 inches. I will snap some pix next week of all the teeth collected.

Cheers........

I wonder what causes their teeth to fall off :unsure: and if they do grow back....