Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ranchu_man

Calcium Poops?

Is it normal for gf to have rock solid white color poops? The poops looks like small pieces of corals but it is very white and very hard and heavy and it sinks. I tried smashing it and it turn into powder. Is this normal? My tank GH is about 100ppm. I am not sure the poops belongs to which gf and I could see this everyday. :unsure:

Did you feed your goldfish any white coloured food?(They poop out the same colour as their food sometimes) and if you see it everyday that means it has an worm or an internal bacterial infection could you post the box of questions on top of diesease and diagnose forum?

I only feed the gf with Hikari pellets, green peas (once a week) and nothing else. All of them looks very healthy and very active. The only concern is the white stuff appears at the tank bottom and I am wondering whether the rock like poops could have comes from the accumulation of dissolved calcium in the water. I am certain that the white stuff is coming from the gf as my filter will be able to filter off any debris in the tank.

Cheers.........

Hi ranchuman :)

I had the same experience as you do.I had a ranchu who was able to swallow the grit substrate that I was using and it may have made a blockage in her intestines that she became constipated.The time she pooped,it was white and resembled the substrate that I used.Unfortunately,she died a couple days after :( I'm not sure if this is what you are seeing but,you might want to be careful so nothing like this would happen to you :) Good luck...

Hi Cathy, how are your doing? Hope you are in great shape!! I noticed you have been extremely active at Kokos and surpassed the 1500 post mark...wow. :D

I think my case is probably different from yours as the white poop is very tiny sizing about 2mm X 1mm diameter. My tank is bare bottom thus this white stuff should not have been consumed by the gf. It is very hard though but not sure how it gets into the gf digestion system. I am thinking like in humans, we sometimes gets stones in our bladder or kidneys but not sure gf had similar problems.. :( Anyhow all the gf are OK and I am just curious where in the world the white stuff comes from. You can only see this if the tank is bare bottom as the bits are very small..

Cheers...........

Hi ranchuman :)

I'm doing fine,can't say the same with my fish though since I lost about 8 fish for the last 2 months :( I'm having water quality issues right now.Turned out that I have 1 mg copper in my tap water :blink:

Hope you figure out what the white poop is and I hope it's nothing serious.I'm sure someone from the board will come along and help you further :) Take care..

Cathy,

So sorry to hear that you have lost so many gf :( Since you have high copper in your water, you may need to use RO system to filter off some of the heavy metals in the tap water.

I have just found out the white poops are very likely the teeth of the gf but I am not sure whether gf have teeth!! I have 9gf in my tank with one fairly big. Under the microscope the white poops looks like a vey small teeth with a layer of enamel coating. It looks like a human teeth, miniature though with a small cavity on one side probably for the veins to grow and this part grows on the gum area. It is also flat in most cases with a fairly sharp end. From the mouth of the gf, I cannot see any teeth growing but I know most fishes have teeth but gf?? I will look up the anatomy of gf to see whether they have teeth.

Cheers........

Yes GF do have teeth. There is a board somewhere on here talking about that and I think there is actually a picture of it too.

Hi ranchuman,

I am using bottled water at the moment and my husband and I are looking into getting an RO system soon :)

Great find!Looks like you solved the mystery.I knew GF's had teeth but I never knew they could fall off :blink: